• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will Boris eat his cake and still have it?"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    5 aides now resigned.

But back to the title of the thread, and we'll go from cake to Pie...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/o...y-scandal.html

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60253231

4 aides now resigned... is this the rats deserting the sinking ship?
    No it's the rats leaping off the deck before "Big Dog" drop kicks them off, not that either form of their departure will do him much good.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has gone, voluntarily or otherwise, by the end of this month.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Better for your continuing career in the civil service to resign before you get sacked for breaking the law. These are not politicians after all....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Four senior aides to Boris Johnson have resigned from Downing Street within hours of each other amid growing pressure on the prime minister.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I thoight I just answered that.
    You thought wrong. I already explained why...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It's been made clear it's factually wrong, there's no argument.

And the analogy is poor. This is like saying Boris should resign because there were covid breaches in regional conservative offices outside London which he had no direct links with, rather than that he should resign because there were breaches in his daily workplace, breaches involving his closest co-workers (ministers) and his family, breaches organised by his personal secretary, breaches in his garden, breaches in his personal dwelling.

It's just a dumb one-liner that went badly. Not sure where and why it came from or what he hoped to gain from it.
    I thoight I just answered that.

Yes it was dumb and inaccurate. It was not, however, irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by agentzero View Post

inews is the old i, run by the Daily Mail group and using the same 'journalists' that update the Daily Mail website. If you want an impartial update as to the goings on in Downing Street, inews is not the best go to source. I'm just mentioning this in the event you didn't know it was DMG owned and run.
    I heard the story on the radio and it was the first free link I Googled.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    While the Saville reference was arguably wrong, the point of it was to point out that if the man at the top is fully responsible for everything that happens under his leadership, as Starmer has been consistently arguing for the last few weeks, then it cuts both ways. And failures of the CPS under Starmer's leadership were rather more serious.
    It's been made clear it's factually wrong, there's no argument.

And the analogy is poor. This is like saying Boris should resign because there were covid breaches in regional conservative offices outside London which he had no direct links with, rather than that he should resign because there were breaches in his daily workplace, breaches involving his closest co-workers (ministers) and his family, breaches organised by his personal secretary, breaches in his garden, breaches in his personal dwelling.

It's just a dumb one-liner that went badly. Not sure where and why it came from or what he hoped to gain from it.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    His policy advisor of 14 years has resigned due to his Saville reference.

She is disappointed with him.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/mu...tarmer-1441547
    ​​​​​​
    inews is the old i, run by the Daily Mail group and using the same 'journalists' that update the Daily Mail website. If you want an impartial update as to the goings on in Downing Street, inews is not the best go to source. I'm just mentioning this in the event you didn't know it was DMG owned and run.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    While the Saville reference was arguably wrong, the point of it was to point out that if the man at the top is fully responsible for everything that happens under his leadership, as Starmer has been consistently arguing for the last few weeks, then it cuts both ways. And failures of the CPS under Starmer's leadership were rather more serious.

Ultimately it's yet another distraction from more important issues. Bojo's position at PM will be persisting a while longer so unless another 37 MP's put in or have secretly put in letters ahead of the Met or Gray's full report, whichever comes first (the BBC claim 17 have done so or will be doing so at some point), he's not going to resign.

Meanwhile, in other news.....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    ‘You are a better man than many of your detractors will ever understand which is why it is so desperately sad that you let yourself down by making a scurrilous accusation against the Leader of the Opposition.’

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...my-savile-slur

That's gonna hurt.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    His policy advisor of 14 years has resigned due to his Saville reference.

She is disappointed with him.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/mu...tarmer-1441547

Munira Mirza, head of policy at No 10, resigned this afternoon after telling Mr Johnson his claims about the Labour leader was an “inappropriate and partisan reference to a horrendous case of child sex abuse”.
    One of Boris Johnson’s closest advisers has resigned over the Prime Minister’s Jimmy Savile claims about Sir Keir Starmer, according to reports.

The Spectator reported Munira Mirza, head of policy at No 10, resigned this afternoon after telling Mr Johnson his claims about the Labour leader was an “inappropriate and partisan reference to a horrendous case of child sex abuse”.

Ms Mirza has been with the PM since his days as London Mayor and her resignation will be a significant blow.

​​​​​​
    Last edited by SueEllen; 3 February 2022, 15:58.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

And wasn't wearing a mask at the HoC, as she sat beside Priti, who was also maskless (although Priti may have bullied the virus into submission)
    And? The cabinet meet presumably all the time 1:1 and in small groups. Most people aren't wearing masks any more, didn't you hear Covid is all over

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Kind of a sad indictment of poor old Theresa...
    Depends on what you are looking for from your PM I guess. It was once considered a fairly serious position..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X