• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice to a young person wishing to get into web design"

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    As others have said above, if she's come from graphic design, the natural route for her is not web development, but web design. This is often covered under the UXD (User Experience Design) or HDC (Human Centreed Design) umbrella, but covers a wide range of skills - visual design (possibly closest to what she has done), interaction design, interface/UI design, information architecture, prototyping, copywriting, customer research etc etc

It's a wide ranging subject and where she can (or needs to) focus depends on what skills she has, what skills she can adapt herself to, and where her interests lie.

An internship/apprenticeship/junior role at a design agency (typically a digital design agency) would be a good place to start. Does she have a portfolio of work?
    Last edited by Paralytic; 26 January 2022, 13:59.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
    Ask you niece to learn

Photoshop
    PHP and MySQL > Once she gets the hang of it and enjoys it , move to ASP and Oracle SQL.
    ASP & Oracle that is just sick!

Leave a comment:

• Destiny2
    replied
    Ask you niece to learn

Photoshop
    PHP and MySQL > Once she gets the hang of it and enjoys it , move to ASP and Oracle SQL.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Last time I worked in a Marketing/PR company they had 3 on site Graphic designers, of varying grades, for both web and app design.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    That's a strange question. Web design has very little to do with programming.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    PowerBI is exploding and not many people have the skills. Big companies will pay top dollar for people that can make company reports look pretty. Watch two guys in a cube Get some certs, pop your designs on the Gallery , publicise via linked in and wait for the agents to declare their undying love.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Dat...StoriesGallery

Its not horrendously technical to create a decent report. Infrastructure can support the technical stuff in large organisations. I have trained accountants to do it. (no offense warty!)

https://solutionsreview.com/business...ls-on-youtube/

As you can see from the gallery anyone with Graphic design skills will be in the top 10!

There is a reason why I didn't take O level art, so I do the backend stuff.

Good luck to her.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Or join only fans

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    So she knows a bit of art and something about computers and wants to make money, well Web 3.0 is her answer. Just get her to make NFTs and stick them up on https://opensea.io/

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Roll Out The Farrell View Post
    I'm sure she can find a niche in UX design with her skills without being a coder though, of course, she'd need to get a good grounding in how modern web interfaces work.
    Something the designers who put together the Figma mock ups at my current client clearly know very little about!
    Agreed

I've worked with companies who have UX designers. It's interesting to see how people use websites and web applications.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 22 January 2022, 20:09.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Frontpage. Was a sideline for me in the 90s.
    if it was good enough for me, then it’s good enough for your “niece”

Leave a comment:

• Roll Out The Farrell
    replied
    I'm sure she can find a niche in UX design with her skills without being a coder though, of course, she'd need to get a good grounding in how modern web interfaces work.
    Something the designers who put together the Figma mock ups at my current client clearly know very little about!

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Albeit Graphic design is not necessarily Front-end development, the journey in Front-end dev is rather long (e.g. CSS, JS, React / Angular Framworks etc). You could recommend learning SQL, PowerBI/Tableau and move into Data Analysis.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Apprenticeship is the way to go, degree if at all possible. Learn on the job with the ability to move around and pick the one she wants. If it's a big enough company with a structured plan to work in different areas she may actually end in an area she didn't think she'd like or even existed. My niece started an IT apprenticeship with a large company and has gravitated towards UX and rather than the tech/PM service route which she'd never considered at the start.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    focus on the graphic design side, as that's what she has experience in. Learning to code is going to take many years if she doen;t have any background at all.
    But if she were to apply for graphic design jobs as web hosting/designing companies that would be the best start. That way she can determine what code to learn and potentially have someone help her with pointers.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Just my penny's worth. Say ten or more years ago some clients may be happy with a good looking website, I don't see that today. Clients require functionally on top of an attractive design. I think she needs to work at it especially of the application development side.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X