• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone had private allergy testing?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Have you had any changes in washing chemicals? (Hand soap, bubble bath, dishwasher, washing machine, fabric softener, etc) Or changes in what you're drinking?

A few years ago I developed a rash on my arms due to The WifeTM using a different fabric conditioner. More recently I get a sense of my throat constricting and rash on my neck from certain sparkling wines.

Hot bath will cause vasodilation in the extremities, which could then have a knock-on effect on vital organs.

...could also be that you're getting old.
    Not that I know of - and it seems like these things would bring daily contact. Unless it's one where every now and then it's just enough, or two factors combine (new chemical + hot bath adding stress). And one definitely can develop allergies over time of course. Now it's been more than an isolated incident or two, maybe I will start a log though it's never been obviously linked to food/drink. And it's not that one where you get a delayed reaction from eating steak either (which I think was on House) Perhaps a log will show some correlation in hindsight. If I went back to calorie logging it would tell me all the things I ate/drank "for free".

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    They can take blood samples at NHS hospitals and then send to the private company.
    My wife got the result of such a test last week after 18 months waiting

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Thanks. It actually looks quite similar in scope and price to Google results but yes while allergies are clearly real there has a been a huge rise in companies trying to profit from it, so finding a legitimate company is important.

So far I can find no link - none were immediately after eating. My closest suspicion is it might be linked to heat as I enjoy a nice hot bath at night and all cases have been fairly late in the evening. But as with "exercise induced allergy" it seems a bit flimsy - they are real but rare.
    Unexplained reactions are quite common as others have pointed out but I have never had even a slight reaction to anything my entire life until the last year.
    Have you had any changes in washing chemicals? (Hand soap, bubble bath, dishwasher, washing machine, fabric softener, etc) Or changes in what you're drinking?

A few years ago I developed a rash on my arms due to The WifeTM using a different fabric conditioner. More recently I get a sense of my throat constricting and rash on my neck from certain sparkling wines.

Hot bath will cause vasodilation in the extremities, which could then have a knock-on effect on vital organs.

...could also be that you're getting old.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Go for the ISAC test from Nuffield
    https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/tests...llergy-testing

(I'm sure other places do it, maybe contact your private health provider to see who they recommend. I'd not necessarily trust companies found on the internet when it comes to my health.)
    Thanks. It actually looks quite similar in scope and price to Google results but yes while allergies are clearly real there has a been a huge rise in companies trying to profit from it, so finding a legitimate company is important.

So far I can find no link - none were immediately after eating. My closest suspicion is it might be linked to heat as I enjoy a nice hot bath at night and all cases have been fairly late in the evening. But as with "exercise induced allergy" it seems a bit flimsy - they are real but rare.
    Unexplained reactions are quite common as others have pointed out but I have never had even a slight reaction to anything my entire life until the last year.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    By any chance, do you remember or logged somewhere on what you ate? Anything out of ordinary?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Go for the ISAC test from Nuffield
    https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/tests...llergy-testing

(I'm sure other places do it, maybe contact your private health provider to see who they recommend. I'd not necessarily trust companies found on the internet when it comes to my health.)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

That's what my money is on.
    Perhaps before you insult people you workout why they are doing something?

It's obvious in the blog profile.

Guess you don't have migraines or know anyone who is regularly floored by them.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kloos View Post
    I tried one a local quack a while back and blogged about it here: https://anothermigraine.blogspot.com/search?q=allergy. It had very questionable results.
    I have also had a York Test (https://anothermigraine.blogspot.com/search?q=york) which was equally as useless, but maybe that's just me.
    That's what my money is on.

Leave a comment:

• kloos
    replied
    I tried one a local quack a while back and blogged about it here: https://anothermigraine.blogspot.com/search?q=allergy. It had very questionable results.
    I have also had a York Test (https://anothermigraine.blogspot.com/search?q=york) which was equally as useless, but maybe that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I found this link:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/abnormal-immune-cells-may-cause-unprovoked-anaphylaxis

While some people suffer anaphylaxis as part of a serious allergic reaction, in two out of three people, anaphylaxis has no known cause and thus the anaphylactic reaction is called idiopathic.

This is probably why the GP wasn't too interested in following up.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've had one serious (borderline anaphylaxis) and 3 less serious allergic reactions in the last few months, all without any obvious cause. The GP doesn't seem keen to do much.
    I've seen companies advertise private allergy testing but always been dubious, especially since I've been allergy free for 39 years - that they are looking to 'find' allergies. I wondered if anyone here has gone that route and what if anything it turned up?
    I assume you do a blood test at home and post it off, that sort of thing?
    Unfortunately allergies have become a fashion statement and GPs are undated with adults and parents wanting allergy testing when in fact they are healthy. Allergic to gluten is the latest fashion. In your case I suggest you write/email you GP and request an NHS test you can cc the practice manager.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    They can take blood samples at NHS hospitals and then send to the private company.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Don't get a home test, go to a clinic. Nuffield Health, for example.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Most of the companies/people advertising such tests are quacks.

You really need to narrow down the likely cause of what is causing you to have a reaction as people can be allergic to all most anything.

Then if you do get tested and it's done properly you will get tested against a small group of items.

I had skin patch testing years ago against common food items but the test didn't reveal that I actually react to some common garden plants. Oh and the food item I actually react to I was never tested for.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Anyone had private allergy testing?

Anyone had private allergy testing?

I've had one serious (borderline anaphylaxis) and 3 less serious allergic reactions in the last few months, all without any obvious cause. The GP doesn't seem keen to do much.
    I've seen companies advertise private allergy testing but always been dubious, especially since I've been allergy free for 39 years - that they are looking to 'find' allergies. I wondered if anyone here has gone that route and what if anything it turned up?
    I assume you do a blood test at home and post it off, that sort of thing?

Working...
X