• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Time to get angry

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time to get angry"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Physical chastisement isn't allowed in Scotland.

It is also discouraged in other parts of the UK.
    More free publicity when everyone is up in arms about it then.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe they'll make a follow-up ad where the kid gets spanked to the parent saying "we can't claim for this on the insurance, it's coming out of your pocket money"
    Physical chastisement isn't allowed in Scotland.

It is also discouraged in other parts of the UK.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Maybe they'll make a follow-up ad where the kid gets spanked to the parent saying "we can't claim for this on the insurance, it's coming out of your pocket money"

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Seems me and the FCA are of the same mind
    That's why I posted the update -

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

My first thought exactly .... are John Lewis confirming that they pay out on intentional damage to household items. If so, I'll get a policy and intentionally destroy my old TV, washing machine and Betamax video recorder and they can replace old for new.

Also, it's not a christmas advert, it's an insurance advert.

The wokes are those getting upset by the advert ... the irony!
    Seems me and the FCA are of the same mind

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

That was The Guaridan not me.
    I know. They should be more woke to such things.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

And I just thought the child was special and needed extra love.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    FTFY edit: avoid misgendering the child.
    That was The Guaridan not me.

And I just thought the child was annoying.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Snowflakes melt really easy these days.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

“The ‘Let Life Happen’ John Lewis home insurance advert was created to show a terrifying depiction of a family held emotionally captive by a delinquent child, oblivious and uncaring of the consequences of their actions.”
    FTFY edit: avoid misgendering the child.
    Last edited by d000hg; 28 October 2021, 09:28.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The ad has been withdrawn as it is misleading.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...lly-misleading

But the issue that did for the “Let Life Happen” home contents insurance ad was the finding by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) that it could mislead consumers.

John Lewis later said its accidental damage cover was available as an add-on to its new home contents insurance product and only covered accidental, not deliberate, damage.

“You may have seen our ‘Let Life Happen’ advert for our new home contents insurance offering, which ran between 11 and 27 October 2021,” the retailer said. “This advert has been withdrawn because the Financial Conduct Authority considers the content to be potentially misleading and could cause customers to be confused about John Lewis’s new home contents insurance offering. This was absolutely never our intention.

“The ‘Let Life Happen’ John Lewis home insurance advert was created to show a joyful depiction of a young actor getting carried away with his performance, oblivious of the unintentional consequences of his actions.”

It added: “We have decided to contact every customer who purchased our new home contents insurance cover from 11 October to 31 October to confirm they understood these points and are happy with their purchase.”

An FCA spokesperson said: “Financial services firms’ marketing must be clear, fair and not misleading.”

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I would say there is very little that is accidental about what he does and I'm pretty sure the character knows what he's doing so JL's comment about him not being aware of the consequences of his actions, so they'd be happy to pay out, is bollocks. I would absolutely love to see someone make an insurance claim for that.

Someone will. They won't pay out so the ad will have to be withdrawn.

There was motor insurer who use a musician to advertise their products. Someone complained to the Advertising Standards Agency (or whatever they were called at the time) that they didn't insure musicians so all the ads were pulled.

And I dug out a news story on it - https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ert-complaints

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I was dreading watching this looking at all the comments but I've got to admit I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I mean, it's a tulip advert, I had absolutely no idea what it was selling/telling me to be fair but I did think the lad was very good in it.

I just don't get why sexism, violence, gender or what really has to come in to absolutely everything, particularly something as inconsequential as an advert like this.
    Yeah I'm with you. The lad was very good but the advert is exceptionally poor.

I don't think there's anything to be said about the mother and sister in it - they had a look of resignation about them that said "Tarquin is doing his thing again" and I suspect that is all they're there for, rather than any form of social commentary. The advert wouldn't lose its meaning if they weren't in it because it has very little meaning to begin with.

I would say there is very little that is accidental about what he does and I'm pretty sure the character knows what he's doing so JL's comment about him not being aware of the consequences of his actions, so they'd be happy to pay out, is bollocks. I would absolutely love to see someone make an insurance claim for that.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    to be fair but I did think the lad was very good in it
    True. Maybe he'll be a film star in the future.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You mean you don't think it depicts trans people as violent?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X