• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to get angry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to get angry

...over a John Lewis advert.

(IMHO what an annoying child)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/15...rance-shopping

But one viewer tweeted: "The sexism and sometimes violence that seeps into relationships between sisters and brothers - encouraged by adults who indulge boys while demanding meekness from girls - isn't discussed enough. I'd hope at least that stupid John Lewis advert can be a starting point."

Another posted: "I just caught up with it after seeing all the Tweets. It's just awful. If my child behaved like that I would be so disappointed with how selfish and inconsiderate they were being. Its just needless destruction, expecting the woman and the girl to sit in meek compliance."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1938929.html

One person wrote: “The John Lewis advert of a young boy being the centre of attention for trashing everything while his sister obediently sits and paints in a corner is sexism encapsulated in 60 seconds.”

Another said: “It’s very telling about that John Lewis advert that even when presenting gender ideology in as adorable a way as possible, it’s still revealed to be narcissistic, destructive, aggressive, misogynistic and thinks women and girls exist to sit quietly and take whatever crap it pulls.”

Others complained that the advert was “woke”, and vowed to withdraw their custom from the department store.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Hmmm... It is so unspeakably bad and the kid so awful you have to wonder, on the approach to Christmas, that there isn't some subliminal message in there somewhere.

Want a bet there will be a second episode???
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

What with the kid being made to clean up his mess?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

What with the kid being made to clean up his mess?
        Or not getting any Christmas presents?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I used to shop a lot at John Lewis but things have been getting very bad the last 5+ years so not been in for quite a while.

I'm not angry about the ad but let's face it, it's a fitting epitaph.

Comment

How is it an advert? If you just let your kid carry on doing that, would insurance pay out?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              How is it an advert? If you just let your kid carry on doing that, would insurance pay out?
              My first thought exactly .... are John Lewis confirming that they pay out on intentional damage to household items. If so, I'll get a policy and intentionally destroy my old TV, washing machine and Betamax video recorder and they can replace old for new.

Also, it's not a christmas advert, it's an insurance advert.

The wokes are those getting upset by the advert ... the irony!
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Yes, with a young girl trashing the place, and her brother sitting in a corner quietly playing with his train set, or his barbie doll.

That would shut up the bellyachers!

Last edited by OwlHoot; 18 October 2021, 14:16.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Another said: “It’s very telling about that John Lewis advert that even when presenting gender ideology in as adorable a way as possible, it’s still revealed to be narcissistic, destructive, aggressive, misogynistic and thinks women and girls exist to sit quietly and take whatever crap it pulls.”
                  Do you lot ever read the papers? Can you not see the blatant metaphor? The above explains it all very nicely, and someone has very cleverly slipped this advert past the dinosaurs in JL. Look up Sussex University, FFS.

There's a huge culture 'and more' war going on right under our noses.

But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Do you lot ever read the papers? Can you not see the blatant metaphor? The above explains it all very nicely, and someone has very cleverly slipped this advert past the dinosaurs in JL. Look up Sussex University, FFS.

There's a huge culture 'and more' war going on right under our noses.
                    I take it you haven't been in the children's section of JL recently then as they aren't dinosaurs.

Comment

Working...
                    X