• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Short term (~2yrs) buy or rent?"

Collapse

• dsc
    replied
    Met up with the landlord today, turns out the agents decided to bump up the prices they passed on to him and now we are talking £475-525k range. Mind you place is only 60sqm, so absolutely crazy money.

Looks like renting it is...

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    Governments have shown time and again they will support the housing market. It’s a no brained for me. Buy always especially if this your first residential property

inflation will help a lot and low mortgage rates lever the return

it can always be a rental if you need to move and you can always go back in ten years time when you need it

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

You're the one comparing the two, I simply asked if you've been to both. What's not fecking clear here? And why would I care if you've been to Afghanistan or NK?
    Someone doesn't like banter then.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

You're the one comparing the two, I simply asked if you've been to both. What's not fecking clear here? And why would I care if you've been to Afghanistan or NK?

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So you're in no place to dispute then are you?

I have not been to Poland. Neither have I visited Afghanistan or North Korea.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I've never been to NE England
    So you're in no place to dispute then are you?

I have not been to Poland. Neither have I visited Afghanistan or North Korea.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    When's the last time you've been to NE England?

Poland or the north??
    I've never been to NE England, but you've not answered my question.

Both.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

When's the last time you've been to Eastern Europe and / or Poland?
    When's the last time you've been to NE England?

I've lived in Lincoln for 3 years and had enough, so not planning to move there any time soon, thank you very much. There's a reason why it's cheap...
    Poland or the north??

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Bleak?

There is a reason why Yorkshire is called God's own County and it's not just because they are arrogant.
    Indeed.

In fact if the OP wants to buy a house one of the cottages in the iconic hovis advert is up for sale. Can't get much more Yorkshire than that.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/05/iconi...0000-15368376/

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied

That's not perpetuating the meme though Many of our small towns do look like something out of Eastern Europe these days though. Luckily Boris is going to fix it.

Justin is by all accounts a fine fellow though I've not met him myself. Never knew he was an ex-Johnian like myself.
    When's the last time you've been to Eastern Europe and / or Poland?

I've lived in Lincoln for 3 years and had enough, so not planning to move there any time soon, thank you very much. There's a reason why it's cheap...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

And the counter point in that would be Justin Welby former Bishop of Durham and student at St Johns, Durham when I would have been there (went to Kings College instead).
    That's not perpetuating the meme though Many of our small towns do look like something out of Eastern Europe these days though. Luckily Boris is going to fix it.

Justin is by all accounts a fine fellow though I've not met him myself. Never knew he was an ex-Johnian like myself.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

I meant economically. Also joking: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23505723
    And the counter point in that would be Justin Welby former Bishop of Durham and student at St Johns, Durham when I would have been there (went to Kings College instead).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Bleak?

There is a reason why Yorkshire is called God's own County and it's not just because they are arrogant.
    I meant economically. Also joking: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23505723

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

And the bleak northern wastelands will be a good reacclimatisation before returning to Poland
    Bleak?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Although embarking on a major extension when you set out looking to have a low-hassle living space for 2 years max might be an odd choice... otherwise 100% agree with Eek.

If space for all your stuff is an issue then the fact you plan to move country might be a silver lining - good opportunity to properly clear out so you can live in the smaller space and make moving much easier later?
    One thing I've learnt is that you don't need to do the work to get a decent proportion of the profit from the paperwork being done.

Say a 5 bed house is worth £800,000 and the work will cost £150,000. Chances are you will be able to add £100,000 to the sale price just for doing a simple pick of leg work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X