• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Climate Doom

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Climate Doom"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Africa has projections of 5 billion population by the end of the century. They have to import food already as their attempts at agriculture are so poor.

It's just going to be war after war fighting over resources soon. "Famine? let's invade next door"

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The West can handle a low birth rate because it can import the help it needs from other countries. We're rebalancing population density
    you might want to look at this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

Its not just the population growing the up and comers will expect first world luxuries.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post

Lightning strikes are another. The more the atmosphere builds up energy, the more electricity from all those water molecules bouncing together.

Forest fires happen even when there aren't humans anywhere near them. All part of natures way of managing the planet really. As to whether they are more prevalent in certain area's wll not so long ago no-one would have been so bothered as there was no-one building homes in the middle of forests except witches that planned to cook children and eat them.
    But again, more smoke, more ash, less sun gets through to warm the land. Less heat gets transferred to the atmosphere. Nature will sort it all out soon enough. Might take a few years but at the moment, no-one has any clue what deforresting hundreds of acres of land in rain forests and naturally green area's will cause. Maybe they should turn the windmills off and stop wafting the flames?
    Good grief. Hundreds of acres in the USA/Canada is someone's yard. You clearly don't have any real grasp of the scale of the thing.
    One more time children: forest fires are normal and natural, within certain quite well measured limits. "Forest fires are normal" as an argument to the current situation is like if 90% of women started to miscarry and you said "it's quite normal that some women miscarry".

Jeez

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ws.theobserver

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a ‘Siberian’ climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Indeed, people never smoked or camped in the forest in the 50s.

Forest fires are NOT just about ignition sources, those happen all the time. They are about how liable a spark is to start a fire, and how liable the fire is to spread. I follow a channel which talks about wild-land fire-fighting, there's quite a lot of science behind this stuff. Fires are a normal, natural thing but how common and how large and how hard to contain they are varies according to many factors... moisture being a big one.
    Lightning strikes are another. The more the atmosphere builds up energy, the more electricity from all those water molecules bouncing together.

Forest fires happen even when there aren't humans anywhere near them. All part of natures way of managing the planet really. As to whether they are more prevalent in certain area's wll not so long ago no-one would have been so bothered as there was no-one building homes in the middle of forests except witches that planned to cook children and eat them.
    But again, more smoke, more ash, less sun gets through to warm the land. Less heat gets transferred to the atmosphere. Nature will sort it all out soon enough. Might take a few years but at the moment, no-one has any clue what deforresting hundreds of acres of land in rain forests and naturally green area's will cause. Maybe they should turn the windmills off and stop wafting the flames?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

"I was really impressed by the accuracy of some of the report's predictions about fossil fuel consumption. Then I realized, oh, right, of course."

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    You do know that's a load of nonsense? Should be be stopping those primitives having so many babies! Population growth via birth in the west is pretty much flat.
    The West can handle a low birth rate because it can import the help it needs from other countries. We're rebalancing population density

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You do know you weren't suppose to have any children being a resource grabbing westerner?
    You do know that's a load of nonsense? Should be be stopping those primitives having so many babies! Population growth via birth in the west is pretty much flat.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

But thank you for exemplifying that someone who is otherwise sane and intelligent can believe a load of unscientific tosh, while believing that they're rational. (In case anyone calls me out about being a Christian, I don't believe humans are rational anyway. Nor that rational thinking will ever adequately explain existance. But it's a good way to make money. Are you mad? Wood is far worse than charcoal.
    You're much better at throwing a temper tantrum than you are at trying to conduct a debate.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 August 2021, 19:23.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

How will we have BBQ's in the future? Not allowed gas, not allowed charcoal.
    BBQs??????? - LUXURY in my day I had to roast my sausage over one of these in my trusty rubber torch

No one expects the Python imposition!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

(N.B. only the loonies. Some environmentalists understand science, technology, the need for progress, and aren't a bunch of nihilistic human haters)
    You do know you weren't suppose to have any children being a resource grabbing westerner?

Send from my iPhone 3001

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Are you mad? Wood is far worse than charcoal.
    What was wrong with charcoal anyway?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by A true believer in there ain't no such thing as climate change. The experts are all lies. It's a conspiracy I tells you... View Post
    dribble.
    But thank you for exemplifying that someone who is otherwise sane and intelligent can believe a load of unscientific tosh, while believing that they're rational. (In case anyone calls me out about being a Christian, I don't believe humans are rational anyway. Nor that rational thinking will ever adequately explain existance. But it's a good way to make money.

How will we have BBQ's in the future? Not allowed gas, not allowed charcoal.

Wood? Biogas?
    Are you mad? Wood is far worse than charcoal. It's all about energy density. That's why a lump of uranium is far more environmentally friendly over all. But the loony environmentalists aren't really about saving the planet. They're just harkening back to the days of simplicity and rural economies. And then they discuss it over there fsking iPhones.

So, in reply to LM, we BBQ loony environmentalists. (N.B. only the loonies. Some environmentalists understand science, technology, the need for progress, and aren't a bunch of nihilistic human haters).

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Hurricanes making it to US land at about the same rate as they have in the last few hundred years. Since 2000, the number of major landfall hurricanes globally has increased.

(The apparent reduction since 1930 is just cherry picking).

This graph of hurricanes globally per year shows a different picture:
    Well. There's FA that we mere mortals can do about it, so really I couldn't give a toss. I live at 315m above sea level, so at least I'm not going to find the sea making my feet wet.
    The data prior to 1985 is not reliable. You notice the step change in the satellite era, when all storms can be picked up.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2...ore-dangerous/

In terms of frequency, studies have consistently shown “no discernible trend in the global number of tropical cyclones.” In addition, authors of a 2013 study found no human-caused signal in annual global tropical cyclone or hurricane frequencies.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

But far far less in the 50s. In the 50s I could walk through the New Forest without seeing anyone all day. These days it is jammed full and busier than the High Street.
    I didn't realise a)the New Forest was an area notable for north American forest fires b)you were in your 70s/80s.
    You don't seem to grasp the scale and emptiness of the USA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X