• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You've been pinged..."

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post

The company I am working for manufacturers a component for the lateral flow tests.
    i recently found out the manufacturing plants are still running on Windows XP!

They were slowly upgrading them but then COVID hit and they didnt want to cause any downtime so they left them, they are now starting back up the upgrade work.

Oh and there are only 3 people who know fully how the systems work...and all but one have retired!

Its so bad its funny.
    I really hope you're not suggesting that's why they only have a 60% success rate for detecting positive cases.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I check in at a coffee shop at 7am on my way to work I can apparently be infected by someone eating their evening meal.
    That's because you work 15 hour days at below minimum wage at the coffee shop

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

False positives are very rare (approaching 99% efficacy) but there is a big issue with them providing false negatives (not far off 50%).
    The company I am working for manufacturers a component for the lateral flow tests.
    i recently found out the manufacturing plants are still running on Windows XP!

They were slowly upgrading them but then COVID hit and they didnt want to cause any downtime so they left them, they are now starting back up the upgrade work.

Oh and there are only 3 people who know fully how the systems work...and all but one have retired!

Its so bad its funny.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

False positives are very rare (approaching 99% efficacy) but there is a big issue with them providing false negatives (not far off 50%).
    But you use them instead of no test, not instead of a better test. Meaning they catch 50% of unsuspected cases.
    I was wondering when we say they are 50% accurate in this scenario does that mean it's an error per test, or that if you get a false negative and take 9 more tests in a row, they'd all be false negatives?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I've a niece who got the £500. Just finished college, working part time at the local golf course, furloughed, got pinged (out with friends, one who tested positive) and got £500. Was free money to her.

This was a few weeks ago. She's self-isolating again (family member has tested positive) - don't know yet if she's reapplied/will get it again.
    She's obviously good at completing paperwork.

Maybe she should be looking for a job with more prospects - the NHS has a few.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I can get a McDonalds delivered to the front door in a few minutes why can't I get a set of tests delivered the same way?

take a test when pinged. Take one when you get to work.

The test and trace is Hotel California you can check in but never leave so if I check in at a coffee shop at 7am on my way to work I can apparently be infected by someone eating their evening meal.
    Get your own QR code so you can check in when you go to your office. Due to being a contractor the office site just happens to be at your home....

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

EDIT: oh yes, I remember - the lateral flow tests are a crock of tulipe that's why

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    EDIT: oh yes, I remember - the lateral flow tests are a crock of tulipe that's why
    No they serve a specific purpose.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    They were giving out boxes of tests by Earls Court tube station a couple of weeks ago. I did consider grabbing some to keep to hand but for some reason decided against it, can't remember why.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I can get a McDonalds delivered to the front door in a few minutes why can't I get a set of tests delivered the same way?

take a test when pinged. Take one when you get to work.

The test and trace is Hotel California you can check in but never leave so if I check in at a coffee shop at 7am on my way to work I can apparently be infected by someone eating their evening meal.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Those handouts are difficult to get.
    I've a niece who got the £500. Just finished college, working part time at the local golf course, furloughed, got pinged (out with friends, one who tested positive) and got £500. Was free money to her.

This was a few weeks ago. She's self-isolating again (family member has tested positive) - don't know yet if she's reapplied/will get it again.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I certainly don't, I've never had the app.
    You're one of those... colour me unsurprised.

Point is, pings through the app are advisory whereas being contact-traced is mandatory (unless they relaxed this)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Along with £millions via the £500 handouts to those who self-isolate (but don't really).
    Those handouts are difficult to get.

It is the "Not the" NHS Track and Test system that is costing billions with no effect.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

The UK is considered nuts by many other countries for essentially taking great vaccine progress and spaffing it up the wall
    Along with £millions via the £500 handouts to those who self-isolate (but don't really).

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

The UK is considered nuts by many other countries for essentially taking great vaccine progress and spaffing it up the wall
    By the king of spaff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X