• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car fuel additives - Do you use one?"

Collapse

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

If it works for you, that's great. Using additives may be covering up issues with your engine not self adjusting to the differences in fuel. The performance of my engine fell and it was only after I thought "Oh f-it, I don't trust the garage and I will go over everything myself" the engine then ran super fine, no lumpy tick-over, MPG shot up and was greater than the manufactures figures etc. I think my engine would run fine on shoe polish.
    I would very much love to fix the car myself like you do but I lack necessary knowledge and practical expertise. Looking into "Diploma in Transport Maintenance IMI VRQ L1" part-time. I am 50+, Happy to learn something other than IT but most of the courses are aimed for 16-19 age group. Not sure if it is suitable for me :-) or where to find one.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 12 August 2021, 10:34.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I add lead.

I feel a bit out of step...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    AtW! So far my average MPG is showing about 4 lower than before! I've been checking the Contract Killer website.
    As I said on the other place, just tell me the make and model of his bike, and the colour of cycling club top.

...think of it as a favour to humanity.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    AtW! So far my average MPG is showing about 4 lower than before! I've been checking the Contract Killer website.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

I was using supermarket fuel for the past 1+ years which is when problems started. Since using additives I have filled up only once and that was from Shell. From now on I will be minimising or stop the use of supermarket fuel.
    If it works for you, that's great. Using additives may be covering up issues with your engine not self adjusting to the differences in fuel. The performance of my engine fell and it was only after I thought "Oh f-it, I don't trust the garage and I will go over everything myself" the engine then ran super fine, no lumpy tick-over, MPG shot up and was greater than the manufactures figures etc. I think my engine would run fine on shoe polish.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Use Premium fuels like BP Ultimate - for diesel it improved range for me, making it actually cost efficient buy. Expect at least 3 full tanks before any difference is visible.
    I just followed your advice today atW. If the MPG doesn't increase sufficiently I shall be suing you!

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by caffeine man View Post

Are you just filling up with supermarket fuel and doing the additive?

how much does the additive cost, compared to just getting your fuel from somewhere like BP, regular diesel? As I find BP diesel runs well on my car with their additives.
    I was using supermarket fuel for the past 1+ years which is when problems started. Since using additives I have filled up only once and that was from Shell. From now on I will be minimising or stop the use of supermarket fuel.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 August 2021, 14:37.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post
    I'm not sure my diesel has ever reached 3500rpm, it's one of the things I love about it, just pulls like a train at low rpm. I suppose I should try a little harder
    Recently, I used a DPF cleaner which lowers the temperature at which regeneration happens. It appears that regeneration normally takes place at around 600 degree C which doesn't happen if car is used mostly for city driving.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 August 2021, 14:56.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    2. Your DPF will clean itself when you take a run on the motorway (engine at normal temp + 3500 rpm for 5 mins.
    I'm not sure my diesel has ever reached 3500rpm, it's one of the things I love about it, just pulls like a train at low rpm. I suppose I should try a little harder

Leave a comment:

• caffeine man
    replied
    Update: Having used fuel additives and almost 3 weeks gone by, here are my findings based on my personal experience.

1. No more dashboard symbols, warnings and alarms.
    2. Engine is extremely smooth that I can't even hear the engine running (haven't gone deaf yet! :-))
    3. Performance is amazing. Did about a 400 mile journey and it was enjoyable. Felt like driving a new car.
    4. I am no longer worried that the car might stop in the mid-way that I had to make an emergency brake on the hard shoulder.

I am satisfied and can confirm that fuel additives are not a myth or a snake oil!
    Are you just filling up with supermarket fuel and doing the additive?

how much does the additive cost, compared to just getting your fuel from somewhere like BP, regular diesel? As I find BP diesel runs well on my car with their additives.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Update: Having used fuel additives and almost 3 weeks gone by, here are my findings based on my personal experience.

1. No more dashboard symbols, warnings and alarms.
    2. Engine is extremely smooth that I can't even hear the engine running (haven't gone deaf yet! :-))
    3. Performance is amazing. Did about a 400 mile journey and it was enjoyable. Felt like driving a new car.
    4. I am no longer worried that the car might stop in the mid-way that I have to make an emergency stop on the hard shoulder.

I am satisfied and can confirm that fuel additives are not a myth or a snake oil!

At the time of writing, Wilko has half price offers on fuel additives.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 August 2021, 14:55.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by caffeine man View Post

you still might need premium fuel on petrol cars. My last car was a petrol, and on Tesco Momentum, and Shell VPower high octane fuels, it was running far better than basic supermarket petrol. The car does have to be designed to use higher octane fuel though e.g 98RON, versus the basic 95 RON supermarket petrol.
    Just to be pedantic because there's so much confusion around this out there. High octane / premium fuel is LESS volatile than standard - its used in high performance cars to better control the detonation of the fuel, as the lower grade stuff can burn under pressure rather than when lit by the spark plug. This is actually super bad for the engine but modern cars can detect the and detune the engine to cope.

Old cars will just make bad noises.

So you need a high performance car to get any advantage out of premium, but premium will absolutely work just fine in anything. It just won't bring any benefits (in terms of octane and outright performance)

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    There is an interesting video about whether additives are snake oil or is it something to be reconsidered. Well, all I want is to get rid of those dashboard flashlights and to have a smooth running engine.

Albeit not knowing the technicalities of a car, I will come back update this thread based on the personal experience (a.k.a) end user perspective.

https://youtu.be/AvdHI6TPqiI
    That video is for Bio-Diesel which is a different kettle of fish, I know the ins out outs of Bio-Diesel but the discussion about that would be far too lengthy. However, I will mention one cheap additive and that is Acetone and it quite efficient and cheap. It is illegal to use it in the UK unless you send a cheque to HMRC for road fuel duty.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    There is an interesting video about whether additives are snake oil or is it something to be reconsidered. Well, all I want is to get rid of those dashboard flashlights and to have a smooth running engine.

Albeit not knowing the technicalities of a car, I will come back update this thread based on the personal experience (a.k.a) end user perspective.

https://youtu.be/AvdHI6TPqiI
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 28 July 2021, 18:43.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Do you pass the petrol station in Holland Road that charges about £2.00 a litre? I spoke to the owner a few years ago. The upshot is, he relies on people not reading the prices before fill-up.
    No, don't tend to go that way. I usually end up at the BP garage round the corner from my parents in Sussex or the BP just off the westbound A4 just before the Hammersmith roundabout.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X