• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Omaze: what's the scam?"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    I remember when Force Awakens came out, Omaze were doing a 'Force for Change' thing where you could meet Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil, etc.

I think the setup was the more you paid ("donated") the more chances you had to win the prizes.

qh

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Waiting for the Devon one to be precariously on the edge of an eroding cliff. They'll have taken out insurance against the Porsche being won (similar to hole-in-one car wins at golf days).
    If you're talking about the the one in Braunton, I think it'll be a while before that cliff erodes.

But there's a public footpath running past below the house, which may or may not be intrusive (hard to tell, looking at Google Maps and Google Earth)

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Wimbledon isn't really in London now is it. It's a small town subsumed into Greater London. And what sort of idiot is driving in London traffic? Walk you lazy thing.
    Within the London Borough of Merton

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Not in London it isn't.

​​​​​​Pre-Covid if you made the mistake of driving could take you an hour.
    Wimbledon isn't really in London now is it. It's a small town subsumed into Greater London. And what sort of idiot is driving in London traffic? Walk you lazy thing.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

2.5 miles IS close.
    Not in London it isn't.

​​​​​​Pre-Covid if you made the mistake of driving could take you an hour.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied

2.5 miles IS close.
    They made it sound a lot closer than that in the TV advert. To be fair that was all you could fault in the advert and it is a £4m+ house and a recent new build. Personally, I would prefer one of the older houses on the opposite side of Copse Hill. Preferably at the top of that hill closer to the pub and a very excellent curry house! I would not want to wheel up that hill too much!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    They had a house in Wimbledon as a prize a few weeks ago that was built on the site of a former hospital. They claimed it was close to the AELTC but its 2.5 miles away! Oh and if you won that you would have a dodgy neighbour (local and corporate reputation - won't name names) and apparently Simon Cowell ( his house is a mile away) occasionally frequents the nearest pub, which coincidentally used to be my "local" ( 2 other closer pubs are crap!)!
    2.5 miles IS close.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    They had a house in Wimbledon as a prize a few weeks ago that was built on the site of a former hospital. They claimed it was close to the AELTC but its 2.5 miles away! Oh and if you won that you would have a dodgy neighbour (local and corporate reputation - won't name names) and apparently Simon Cowell ( his house is a mile away) occasionally frequents the nearest pub, which coincidentally used to be my "local" ( 2 other closer pubs are crap!)!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Depends - it's linked to whether you entered by the end of yesterday or not. Based on ticket sales they could choose to hedge against it.
    Unless the odds of paying out are very small it's really not worth it...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

They probably haven't - the Porsche will just be another cost of sale...
    Depends - it's linked to whether you entered by the end of yesterday or not. Based on ticket sales they could choose to hedge against it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Waiting for the Devon one to be precariously on the edge of an eroding cliff. They'll have taken out insurance against the Porsche being won (similar to hole-in-one car wins at golf days).
    They probably haven't - the Porsche will just be another cost of sale...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    They're not free to enter. You have to "make a donation" to whatever charity the prize draw is raising funds for.

The winner does actually get the prize that has been advertised but cavet emptor and all that:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/23/oxfor...oods-14818807/

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You also see big-name charities doing this, my Facebook feed quite often has them. Allegedly they have determined that even with the cost of the price factored in, they get more income to the charity than without running the contest.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    “Free entry” is probably loophole to aloow them run lottery without getting license for it, the scam is thad you won’t win jack tulip

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    I was looking at the .com website, which had free website based entry.

But the uk site seems to want postal entries if you want a 'free entry' into the draw, cant do it on the website.

You can only get one free entry per letter/postcard.

Therefore it will cost you 66p (second class), for each entry + plus the hassle of posting a letter (who does that anymore)

The website costs the same (66p per entry) except they get the money instead of the royal mail getting it.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 12 July 2021, 12:23.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X