• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Omaze: what's the scam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Free entry” is probably loophole to aloow them run lottery without getting license for it, the scam is thad you won’t win jack tulip

Comment

You also see big-name charities doing this, my Facebook feed quite often has them. Allegedly they have determined that even with the cost of the price factored in, they get more income to the charity than without running the contest.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        They're not free to enter. You have to "make a donation" to whatever charity the prize draw is raising funds for.

The winner does actually get the prize that has been advertised but cavet emptor and all that:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/23/oxfor...oods-14818807/
        Waiting for the Devon one to be precariously on the edge of an eroding cliff. They'll have taken out insurance against the Porsche being won (similar to hole-in-one car wins at golf days).
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Waiting for the Devon one to be precariously on the edge of an eroding cliff. They'll have taken out insurance against the Porsche being won (similar to hole-in-one car wins at golf days).
          They probably haven't - the Porsche will just be another cost of sale...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

They probably haven't - the Porsche will just be another cost of sale...
            Depends - it's linked to whether you entered by the end of yesterday or not. Based on ticket sales they could choose to hedge against it.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Depends - it's linked to whether you entered by the end of yesterday or not. Based on ticket sales they could choose to hedge against it.
              Unless the odds of paying out are very small it's really not worth it...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They had a house in Wimbledon as a prize a few weeks ago that was built on the site of a former hospital. They claimed it was close to the AELTC but its 2.5 miles away! Oh and if you won that you would have a dodgy neighbour (local and corporate reputation - won't name names) and apparently Simon Cowell ( his house is a mile away) occasionally frequents the nearest pub, which coincidentally used to be my "local" ( 2 other closer pubs are crap!)!
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                  They had a house in Wimbledon as a prize a few weeks ago that was built on the site of a former hospital. They claimed it was close to the AELTC but its 2.5 miles away! Oh and if you won that you would have a dodgy neighbour (local and corporate reputation - won't name names) and apparently Simon Cowell ( his house is a mile away) occasionally frequents the nearest pub, which coincidentally used to be my "local" ( 2 other closer pubs are crap!)!
                  2.5 miles IS close.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

2.5 miles IS close.
                    They made it sound a lot closer than that in the TV advert. To be fair that was all you could fault in the advert and it is a £4m+ house and a recent new build. Personally, I would prefer one of the older houses on the opposite side of Copse Hill. Preferably at the top of that hill closer to the pub and a very excellent curry house! I would not want to wheel up that hill too much!
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

2.5 miles IS close.
                      Not in London it isn't.

​​​​​​Pre-Covid if you made the mistake of driving could take you an hour.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X