• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Price of a pint in post covid world."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    My local cricket club is doing £2 a pint as they re-open from next week.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Definitely not a handout, simply the place I work has a permie job going that would match your skills and I could help you get it. Sadly, the salary is certainly not good.
    Well that was certainly a gracious acceptance of your kind offer putting yourself at risk for another. Gigi I suspect I now know why your people skills are letting you down.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I think Gigibronze has already replied with roughly what I was thinking. Increased competition and crazy technical tests have become much more common.
    Thanks. I guess that's where our line of work differs as I don't get technical tests for my roles - I may get asked to do a presentation but that's not the same. So for me, my skills/experience gets me in the door, then my personality/soft skills gets me the job (or not).

Gigi - I guess the only other advice I can give you is take something, even if (relative) low paying. It's easier to get a better job if you're in one already than if you're on the bench. As a hiring manager I'm always more questioning of why someone has been on the bench - in the, if no one else wants to hire this person, then why should I?

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I'm genuinely interested which part of my statement you may not agree with. I'm in a role and my last 3 roles have been with companies I already know so no interview, so interested in how CV19 has changed how roles are won/lost.

Having started my career back in 1992, and seeing this kind of market multiple times over the years, I can't see that it would be any different now to what it's always been - your CV (i.e. technical skills and experience) get you in the door, your interview skills/soft skills/personality gets you the job.
    I think Gigibronze has already replied with roughly what I was thinking. Increased competition and crazy technical tests have become much more common.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    About the last part, I do not like handouts but if the salary is good I do not mind having a chat.
    Definitely not a handout, simply the place I work has a permie job going that would match your skills and I could help you get it. Sadly, the salary is certainly not good.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

If that is true, you do have to wonder how some of the "characters" on this forum ever get work.

I guess there are two possibilities. Either they are very good at hiding their true personality in public. Or their persona here is nothing but an attention seeking act.

We all know they spend all day brown-nosing their line-manager, then come on here to play Mr Big Onions in a desperate search for ego stroking.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

Before COVID / IR35 I would have absolutely agreed with this, but now I wonder. Granted my last experience was a year ago, but then the competiiton for every role was intense and the salaries ridiculously low. It's possible that since 65k is the new 120k the competition is tougher.

BTW Gigibronze, I can get you a permie role at the place where I eventually ended up going permie. Fully remote, tech and salary like it's 2006. Last resort but I did it for a year and I'm OK.
    There seems to be a lot more people than usual on the market now or hiring managers can't seem to make up their mind about it.

Technical challenges are out of control, there is a hedge fund that I had to answer 3 questions about the money AUM, CEO and a past merger.(before application) It all could be found on google but the question was rephrased so that the answer was not straight-forward.
    Then went into an interview with them, about 45m of questions from pandas (I haven't used even that one recently), SQL, python. Some of them were simple but some of them not so.
    Anyway the impression that I had was not that they were trying to hire someone but trying to refuse someone.
    Building the usual web app that "takes 2 hours" but you actually end up spending one day on it. I had one interview where they were specifically expecting for me to implement a GraphQL Api although I did not have that knowledge.
    (it was an api aggregator, for which I used a filesystem as local cache solution but they wanted something more complex) ...

I have some theories but I am not trying them out just yet. Might sound a bit more paranoid than usual.
    But in a world of increased automation with ever decreasing "meaningful jobs" how do you convince people to take the essential jobs that have long hours and precarious pay? The 70% of the economy?

About the last part, I do not like handouts but if the salary is good I do not mind having a chat.

If that is true, you do have to wonder how some of the "characters" on this forum ever get work.

I guess there are two possibilities. Either they are very good at hiding their true personality in public. Or their persona here is nothing but an attention seeking act.

The answer is multiple personalities. I have at least 3.

print price seems to be bothering other people as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/london/comm...eb2x&context=3

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

finally!

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    ...your interview skills/soft skills/personality gets you the job.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    If you're getting to interview stage but keep failing to get the job then it's probably not your technical skillset letting you down. Your technical skills gets your foot in the door, your personality/soft skills gets you the job. If possible, ask someone you trust to do a 'mock' interview with you and get some constructive feedback.

Before COVID / IR35 I would have absolutely agreed with this, but now I wonder.
    I'm genuinely interested which part of my statement you may not agree with. I'm in a role and my last 3 roles have been with companies I already know so no interview, so interested in how CV19 has changed how roles are won/lost.

Having started my career back in 1992, and seeing this kind of market multiple times over the years, I can't see that it would be any different now to what it's always been - your CV (i.e. technical skills and experience) get you in the door, your interview skills/soft skills/personality gets you the job.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    BTW Gigibronze, I can get you a permie role at the place where I eventually ended up going permie. Fully remote, tech and salary like it's 2006. Last resort but I did it for a year and I'm OK.
    I demand a poll so we can all decide!

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied

If you're getting to interview stage but keep failing to get the job then it's probably not your technical skillset letting you down. Your technical skills gets your foot in the door, your personality/soft skills gets you the job. If possible, ask someone you trust to do a 'mock' interview with you and get some constructive feedback.
    Before COVID / IR35 I would have absolutely agreed with this, but now I wonder. Granted my last experience was a year ago, but then the competiiton for every role was intense and the salaries ridiculously low. It's possible that since 65k is the new 120k the competition is tougher.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    So is there even possible to get a pint for less than £6 in London now?
    I’ve done some exploring today and apparently not.
    Well as most soft mockneys can't cope with more than 2-3 pints before falling over, the increased prices are hardly that much of a drawback.
    Now if they were to hike the prices of beard wax and eye liner then you might get some kickback.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Yup, that sounds about right. Usually I am quite laid back, get along with everyone but this whole situation is starting to get to me. And I think I am getting some of that across to them as well.

Also I can't seem to be able to get excited to all the dinky companies and how fun and nice is to work for them. Should brush a bit more on that personality thing... Not usually good at sucking up to people.
    It's not a case of sucking up, more of fitting in. If they interview 2 people with similar skills and one 'fits' and one doesn't, who do you think they'll hire.

And don't forget the interview starts as soon as you walk in the building and have your first interaction with someone (security, reception etc) and only finishes when you leave the building. In fact, if you go to a coffee shop in the area before interview it could even start there if you happen to meet the person interviewing you!).

Smile and be polite to everyone. Don't slag off prior jobs/colleagues. Be positive even if your current situation doesn't feel that way - no one wants to hire a mood-hoover! Keep eye contact, don't fidget, control your hands .... all the obvious stuff that we all know about but when we're in a stressful situation we can forget about.

You'll get there. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

Yup, that sounds about right. Usually I am quite laid back, get along with everyone but this whole situation is starting to get to me. And I think I am getting some of that across to them as well.

Also I can't seem to be able to get excited to all the dinky companies and how fun and nice is to work for them. Should brush a bit more on that personality thing... Not usually good at sucking up to people.

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Spoons at canary wharf has pints under a river and better class of unwashed
    I'll give it a try. Is it your regular?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X