• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Drivers who litter, be warned"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Thing is it would be preferable to just chuck/kick it aside in many cases, so it can break down. It seems a lot of effort to deliberately bag it then hang on a tree.

We just ask our local councillor and she gets one sorted out. I feel people make these things a lot harder for themselves than they need to be. Finding your local person is a huge benefit over contacting the council, as they will likely know the area and have a vested interest.
    Councillors can be contacted though theyworkforyou.com as well.

Some councillors however don't reply which is why you may have to engage with your local MP.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gould The Swimmer View Post

Maybe some bag it up and hang it on a branch with the intention of collecting it at the end of the walk. I'd imagine that wouldonly account for a minority, though. The rest are counting on the services of the poop fairy.
    Thing is it would be preferable to just chuck/kick it aside in many cases, so it can break down. It seems a lot of effort to deliberately bag it then hang on a tree.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Work out a location to put the bin so it can be easily emptied by a passing council truck then send the email.

When the council doesn't reply or replies without a clear "yes" contact your MP - theyworkforyou.com - pointing out that you even worked out a possible location.

If you have local press get them involved.
    We just ask our local councillor and she gets one sorted out. I feel people make these things a lot harder for themselves than they need to be. Finding your local person is a huge benefit over contacting the council, as they will likely know the area and have a vested interest.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

That might be worth a stern email to the council along with some photos.

qh
    Work out a location to put the bin so it can be easily emptied by a passing council truck then send the email.

When the council doesn't reply or replies without a clear "yes" contact your MP - theyworkforyou.com - pointing out that you even worked out a possible location.

If you have local press get them involved.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Now pair that up with drive through fast food places printing reg numbers on the packaging and we'll be getting somewhere.
    I like it

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I think mandatory litter picking would be more effective for repeat offenders.
    I think mandatory rubbish bag sorting in a stinky local landfill site would be better, surrounded by hordes of rats and deafening flocks of hungry seagulls!

Leave a comment:

• Gould The Swimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I don't get why people make the effort to carry bags and pick it up, which is the gross part, and do this. There must be a reason, I mean if you just don't care why would you even have bags with you?
    Maybe some bag it up and hang it on a branch with the intention of collecting it at the end of the walk. I'd imagine that wouldonly account for a minority, though. The rest are counting on the services of the poop fairy.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm not sure if it was on CUK or FB, but I saw a suggestion that McDonalds (maybe others) print the vehicle registration on drive-through order bags.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied

Have you campaigned for a bin to be put on the path?
    That might be worth a stern email to the council along with some photos.

qh

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    There are some places where there is a distinct lack of bins for no sensible reason (other than councils not wanting to pay for them to be emptied) and so lazy people dump their rubbish rather than do the right thing. Hammersmith tube station has a sign urging people to use the bins yet underneath said sign, where the bin should be, the bin has been removed.

Most of the time it's really no hardship to take your rubbish with you. Other times it's a minor inconvenience.
    While I don't condone it, pragmatically I can understand people littering when there is no bin. Nobody wants to carry a nearly-empty fisn'n'chips box or melted ice cream wrapper around... I certainly don't carry a bag with me at all times just in case. People shouldn't litter if there's no bin, and I don't, but realistically many will and it's daft to pretend otherwise.

There's two groups, those who will litter if they can't see a bin and those who will litter regardless. The latter are the bigger problem IMO. Although around here we have had bins removed because they keep getting set fire to FFS.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    There are some places where there is a distinct lack of bins for no sensible reason (other than councils not wanting to pay for them to be emptied) and so lazy people dump their rubbish rather than do the right thing. Hammersmith tube station has a sign urging people to use the bins yet underneath said sign, where the bin should be, the bin has been removed.

Most of the time it's really no hardship to take your rubbish with you. Other times it's a minor inconvenience.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gould The Swimmer View Post
    I did a 5 mile walk yesterday with a bag of dog poop in one hand. Ended up driving all the way back home with it. Really gets my goat these people who just leave them tied to the branches of a tree like some fairy's going to come along whilst we're all asleep.
    I don't get why people make the effort to carry bags and pick it up, which is the gross part, and do this. There must be a reason, I mean if you just don't care why would you even have bags with you?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Excellent. Can't understand why these barstewards do it, hardly a problem to take it home and bin it.
    It must be a cultural thing because you will see teenagers sat next to a bin, or even ON a bin, deliberately throw their rubbish on the floor. Typical teen rebellion? Looking 'cool' by acting badly?
    People doing it from cars, I guess it comes from the above in many cases - it becomes engrained behaviour that isn't given a second thought.

It really is such a pointless shame. We live in the countryside between two villages and every verge is drifted in cans and crisp packets and McDonalds bags. I mean at least fly-tipping is done for a reason, but littering is senseless.

I have no idea how you would even start to change a multi-generational culture of littering (or anything else) though. Kids see their parents toss rubbish out of the car, so they naturally learn to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• HoofHearted
    replied

They will just ignore it like the lowlifes they are. We have plenty of bins around which people ignore, even to the extent of dropping their bag close by. No amount of bins will alter their attitude :-(

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So QH's house is now referred to as the Tuliphole?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

I am having big issues with this at side of my house with a path that literally goes no where. I mean you've done the hard part by picking it up and bagging it.

Time to get the camera out and name and shame.

qh disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

Leave a comment:

Working...
X