• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "That Welsh Gibberish...."

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    There's tidy then, boyo, nice coat that jacket.
    Thanks for not disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    There's tidy then, boyo, nice coat that jacket.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Last night's "Am Dro" was funny as feck when the north Walians couldn't understand Y Cymraeg* of the south Walians to the extent of confusing "little hill" with "sex".

Easily done with the wrong type of sheep of course.

*There may be a mutation required there but I can't be arsed to look it up, it's 50 years since Welsh GCE 'O' level.

The dialects of Wales: How one country has five different words for the same thing - Wales Online
    Then again, as I said, I'm from Pembrokeshire. We have our own dialect down there that's part Welsh, part-English and part Flemish (among others). "The grip in the haggar" wouldn't make much sense to anyone outside the county!

But I travelled all over France in the day, and they have major regional variations as well. As do the English - how's your Geordie?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I always have to order my socks in M&S. They only stock small sizes. The Welsh are too short.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Yes, but the Welsh Government is heavily committed to extending the use of Welsh so any even vaguely public sector roles will have a knowledge of Welsh as a prime requirement (although you don't have to be fluent, they are that realistic about it!).

I did some work for the Welsh Govt in Cardiff a while back and had to go though all sorts of meetings when they took on board a previously separate Welsh Language promotion society whoi naturally enough wanted everything from the website to the service desk to run in Welsh. An early slightly prickly meeting was defused when I pointed out (in my very bad Welsh) that I don't speak welsh since I'm from Pembrokeshire. That got appreciative nods and much better cooperation from then on!
    Last night's "Am Dro" was funny as feck when the north Walians couldn't understand Y Cymraeg* of the south Walians to the extent of confusing "little hill" with "sex".

Easily done with the wrong type of sheep of course.

*There may be a mutation required there but I can't be arsed to look it up, it's 50 years since Welsh GCE 'O' level.

The dialects of Wales: How one country has five different words for the same thing - Wales Online

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    That Welsh Gibberish....
    It's what PC posts so guess he's got a point.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Not the ones I've met in Paris.

What did you do to upset them

Been to Paris plenty of times for Pleasure & Business, they almost always appreciated the effort but frequently switch to excellent American English because they consume so many Hollywood movies.

A good friend is from a village just outside Paris an she & her family love taking the mick out of our French.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Even Parisians.
    Not the ones I've met in Paris.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    People are always happy when you speak their language even if it is badly except Parisians...

Even Parisians.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Yes, but the Welsh Government is heavily committed to extending the use of Welsh so any even vaguely public sector roles will have a knowledge of Welsh as a prime requirement (although you don't have to be fluent, they are that realistic about it!).

I did some work for the Welsh Govt in Cardiff a while back and had to go though all sorts of meetings when they took on board a previously separate Welsh Language promotion society whoi naturally enough wanted everything from the website to the service desk to run in Welsh. An early slightly prickly meeting was defused when I pointed out (in my very bad Welsh) that I don't speak welsh since I'm from Pembrokeshire. That got appreciative nods and much better cooperation from then on!
    People are always happy when you speak their language even if it is badly except Parisians...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    They also use it as "positive" discrimination to exclude non welsh speakers from some posts.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They also use it as "positive" discrimination to exclude non welsh speakers from some posts.
    As long we we can require people in English jobs speak English, let the Welsh do that.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    They pretend to care when the English are around!

I know some great Welsh people. Oddly the biggest issue with Wales is the local councils. I know they are bad in England - the situation is worse in Wales.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    IF people actually listen to spoken Welsh, they may find it has a truly musical lilt to it. Of course, you have to know how to pronounce it, and get your head around a different alphabet. "A allaf ei helpu os ydych chi'n dwp " looks awful but has a certain ring to it when read out loud...

Have to agree with BP about the Southern ones though, although I would limit it to the bit south of the valleys from Swansea to Newport. Not a lot of affluence up the Western side of Wales either.

Indeed even a welsh man speaking English has a lovely lilt, try Sir Tom Jones when he is reminiscing.

Welsh & Scottish Gaelic does sound a bit alien but then so does Catalan and Scouse. The world would be poorer without them in it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A load of PC nonsense. I doubt the Welsh even care.
    They pretend to care when the English are around!

I know some great Welsh people. Oddly the biggest issue with Wales is the local councils. I know they are bad in England - the situation is worse in Wales.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X