• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That Welsh Gibberish....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Welsh Gibberish....

... according to that former director of Iceland.

(Personally I like some of the place names. It also has other useful uses )

Iceland boss sacked after branding Welsh language 'gibberish' | Metro News

Iceland have sacked a company director who branded the Welsh language ‘gibberish’, after furious shoppers vowed to boycott the supermarket.

The store’s corporate affairs boss Keith Hann also said Welsh sounded ‘like someone with bad catarrh clearing his throat’ in an old personal blog post which recently resurfaced on Twitter.

Iceland apologised and insisted that his statements do not ‘reflect’ the company’s views.

But later a spokeswoman said: ‘Iceland has taken action in light of recent comments made by its Director of Corporate Affairs, resulting in the dismissal of Mr Hann with immediate effect.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Hopefully it's still safe to comment on psychocandy's behaviors without any generalisations ...

Comment

Try Swiss German. Not so much a language as a throat disease. Remember that episode when the Daleks invaded Europe? Exterminieren.... They got got Switzerland and their voice boxes exploded.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And yet when Rowan Atkinson says it in Blackadder 4 its funny.

He also said "Your periodic reminder that the inhabitants of the UK's Celtic fringe loath ALL visitors, in and out of lockdown,". Which is also true.

However the worst bit about the Welsh is the Southern Barstewards who claim to help the Welsh. And only help the South. Repress the North. And yet most Welsh speakers are in the North! Only 19% of Welsh speak Welsh. More people in the UK speak Polish than Welsh.

Comment

IF people actually listen to spoken Welsh, they may find it has a truly musical lilt to it. Of course, you have to know how to pronounce it, and get your head around a different alphabet. "A allaf ei helpu os ydych chi'n dwp " looks awful but has a certain ring to it when read out loud...

Have to agree with BP about the Southern ones though, although I would limit it to the bit south of the valleys from Swansea to Newport. Not a lot of affluence up the Western side of Wales either.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

A load of PC nonsense. I doubt the Welsh even care.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              A load of PC nonsense. I doubt the Welsh even care.
              They pretend to care when the English are around!

I know some great Welsh people. Oddly the biggest issue with Wales is the local councils. I know they are bad in England - the situation is worse in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                IF people actually listen to spoken Welsh, they may find it has a truly musical lilt to it. Of course, you have to know how to pronounce it, and get your head around a different alphabet. "A allaf ei helpu os ydych chi'n dwp " looks awful but has a certain ring to it when read out loud...

Have to agree with BP about the Southern ones though, although I would limit it to the bit south of the valleys from Swansea to Newport. Not a lot of affluence up the Western side of Wales either.

Indeed even a welsh man speaking English has a lovely lilt, try Sir Tom Jones when he is reminiscing.

Welsh & Scottish Gaelic does sound a bit alien but then so does Catalan and Scouse. The world would be poorer without them in it.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  They pretend to care when the English are around!

I know some great Welsh people. Oddly the biggest issue with Wales is the local councils. I know they are bad in England - the situation is worse in Wales.

They also use it as "positive" discrimination to exclude non welsh speakers from some posts.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    They also use it as "positive" discrimination to exclude non welsh speakers from some posts.
                    As long we we can require people in English jobs speak English, let the Welsh do that.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X