• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Crafty scam - A whole fake forum!"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

That is a beautiful book, I love the language used, the proper 's's and the use of Latin.
    Yep, and among other things it has a realistic portrait of William the Conqueror, based on a contemporary wall painting of him and his family in an Abbey he founded at Caen.

Unfortunately that part of the abbey, including the wall, was demolished in around 1700. So the engraving in that book, luckily done not long prior to that, is probably his last surviving representation, besides the one I claim looms over the west door in Exeter Cathedral

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbel_William_1_3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	921.4 KB
ID:	4183021

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

FWIW, I found a free ebook copy in the end, without any "help" from Russian hackers who require credit card details!

Anglo-Norman antiquities considered, in a tour through part ... - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library
    That is a beautiful book, I love the language used, the proper 's's and the use of Latin.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Chortle!

So that's why AtW has left, taking a year out to write a steamy sequel!
    Nuttina gasped no one had made her feel that way before, the way he stroked her tail as she ate his nuts drove her wild..... next line?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Yep. http://kinozoo.ru/pl/?q=Faggots+Fan+Club+by+AtW Not sure what kinozoo.ru is though. Not a search engine I'm aware of.
    Chortle!

So that's why AtW has left, taking a year out to write a steamy sequel!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Yeah. Conspiracy or co-incidence. I'd say co-incidence.

Try looking for Arse Ticklers and Faggots Fan Club by AtW and see if the same thing happens.
    Yep. http://kinozoo.ru/pl/?q=Faggots+Fan+Club+by+AtW Not sure what kinozoo.ru is though. Not a search engine I'm aware of.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Seriously, although pretty crude, it's an interesting example of the kind of thing we can expect in a few years as AI advances:

2021-01-25 Gartner: The future of AI is not as rosy as some might think

A Gartner report predicts that the second-order consequences of widespread AI will have massive societal impacts, to the point of making us unsure if and when we can trust our own eyes. ..

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Try looking for Arse Ticklers and Faggots Fan Club by AtW and see if the same thing happens.

is that the sequel to "Squirrels subduing and strapping" them?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    It's not a coincidence, I think they just make a generic page for every single book with a query parameter ?bookname=abc

They probably then have a master page with every single ISBN/book from some pilfered database of every book in existence.

Then they just get google to index their site, google thinks oh this is a site with a list of every book ever made, indexes a link to page.html?bookname=python for dummies etc. etc.

You click the link on google, it generates a fake page based on the query parameter

et voila

That is my guess, unless they have some way of taking your google search query and feeding it in, which is also a possibility - sometimes you google something like 'specific model 33boobs plasma television' and you get an advert in the side bar like 'ebay buy and sell specific model 33boobs plasma television and many others items today!' and it links to an ebay search for what you typed in.
    I'm sure you're right, and they wouldn't even have to pinch a database because there are free online databases already, such as WorldCat.org: The World's Largest Library Catalog.

But from this example, I think their code must have checked Amazon (as xoggoth suggested) because I think that's the only site I found where the author is bizarrely referred to as "Doctor" Ducarel (which I never used in my Google search).
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 31 January 2021, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Probably right that 1st sentence, "Anglo-Norman Antiquities considered in a tour through part of Normandy, by Doctor Ducarel" is the exact title, and it's on Amazon.
    FWIW, I found a free ebook copy in the end, without any "help" from Russian hackers who require credit card details!

Anglo-Norman antiquities considered, in a tour through part ... - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I only use abebooks for this kind of thing, but this is why I use PayPal for most of my purchases, I just don’t trust small e-commerce companies.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It's not a coincidence, I think they just make a generic page for every single book with a query parameter ?bookname=abc
    You're probably right. "Anglo-Norman Antiquities considered in a tour through part of Normandy, by Doctor Ducarel" is the exact title, and it's on Amazon. Scouring the titles from the books section in Amazon and adding very generic comments probably isn't that hard.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 31 January 2021, 10:46.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Tried that, and this came up:

YouTube - Lock Stock - Arse Tickler's Faggots Fan Club

The only other result was a dodgy looking site called "Contractor UK". I'd steer well clear!

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied

They probably then have a master page with every single ISBN/book from some pilfered database of every book in existence.

Then they just get google to index their site, google thinks oh this is a site with a list of every book ever made, indexes a link to page.html?bookname=python for dummies etc. etc.

You click the link on google, it generates a fake page based on the query parameter

et voila

That is my guess, unless they have some way of taking your google search query and feeding it in, which is also a possibility - sometimes you google something like 'specific model 33boobs plasma television' and you get an advert in the side bar like 'ebay buy and sell specific model 33boobs plasma television and many others items today!' and it links to an ebay search for what you typed in.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Probably lots of fake sites selling popular stuff but not sure I understand how a bot would come up with that header post or why it would be worth it. Your interest must be one in millions.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Hey there! Anglo-Norman antiquities considered : in a tour through part of Normandy, by Doctor Ducarel, 1767. Illustrated with twenty-seven copper-plate
    Probably lots of fake sites selling popular stuff but not sure I understand how a bot would come up with that header post or why it would be worth it. Your interest must be one in millions.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 31 January 2021, 10:13.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X