• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Did I lock the door?"

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Have often tried to get into client buildings with my oyster card too.
    I once swiped my debit card over a clients security barrier. I've done the same at the train stations too.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    There is always a way in. At one time thieves could not break the lock so they used something, possibly hydraulic to push the door and frame in.
    I know people who have been burgled and the burglar came through:
    1. a very small open window e.g. bathroom window
    2. an unlocked window in flats higher than 1st floor
    3. the ceiling in flats and terraced houses as they got into the roof space

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Sometimes after a long day I get to the front door and then press the remote key for the car.
    I've tried to use a client building pass to get into my front door before. Not that I have anything remotely 'swipeable' on my door.

Have often tried to get into client buildings with my oyster card too.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Sometimes after a long day I get to the front door and then press the remote key for the car.
    Lot of times I forget to lock the car. Once I went out for 4-5 hours and left my front door keys dangling at the door. Lucky escape.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    There is always a way in. At one time thieves could not break the lock so they used something, possibly hydraulic to push the door and frame in.
    Bottle Jacks. Under 20 quid on eBay.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Did I lock the door?

Simply take it with you - that way you can always check.

Viz Tip #309

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Impressive bitting (note the side bitting a la ASSA) but I am not impressed by keys, rather the locks they are in.

If the lock is a euro cylinder one just snaps the cylinder for example. SS312 Euro cylinder? Lump hammer.

In the end, people do not pick locks in general, they smash windows & break doors.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Impressive bitting (note the side bitting a la ASSA) but I am not impressed by keys, rather the locks they are in.

If the lock is a euro cylinder one just snaps the cylinder for example. SS312 Euro cylinder? Lump hammer.

In the end, people do not pick locks in general, they smash windows & break doors.
    If someone really wants to get into your home, they will. The trick is to make sure yours isn't the easiest target.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    But NAT has to keep his brain in a safe in case it gets loose and causes an accident.
    It never has yet.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    But NAT has to keep his brain in a safe in case it gets loose and causes an accident.
    It is high time someone told him where they have hidden the keys then.

Don't need him blundering on witlessly, not while Whorty can still recall his own login details. No sense in overloading the dimwit portfolio.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Something like this:

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Pricey at 'north of $300'? That's a pittance. I bet many dodgy people have access to a key cutting machine.
    A file should be sufficient. Or cast in plastic and lubricate.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    prove it and post a picture
    Something like this:

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Pricey at 'north of $300'? That's a pittance. I bet many dodgy people have access to a key cutting machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X