• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Courts not taking any crap from Donald."

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    More like Claudius after Caligula, surely...

But is Kamala another Messalina?
    Claudius is another reasonable comparison, but I prefer Nerva because Claudius acceded by virtue of being last adult male alive in Julio-Claudian dynasty (IIRC), whereas Nerva was the elder statesman, who could stabilise government but who wouldn't hang around too long or set up a new dynasty (except by adoption which probably wasn't predicted).

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    For people interested in ancient history, it strikes me as similar to the accession of Emperor Nerva at the age of 65 (and childless), after the tyranny of Domitian.

Nerva - Wikipedia
    More like Claudius after Caligula, surely...

But is Kamala another Messalina?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Probably the best thing about the Trump years was that he insulted people who thoroughly deserved derision. I'm going to miss the entertainment.
    Indeed, hail Kim Jong-Un, great bloke.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Probably the best thing about the Trump years was that he insulted people who thoroughly deserved derision. I'm going to miss the entertainment.
    Just enjoy the irony.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    A safe pair of hands before he steps down and let's Kamala Harris run the show in the last two years of his presidency. US rules would allow her to run for president in two elections still if that happens. No way will he run for two terms, he would be 87 by the end of the second term.

I'm thinking "Weekend at Bernies" style presidency.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    A safe pair of hands before he steps down and let's Kamala Harris run the show in the last two years of his presidency. US rules would allow her to run for president in two elections still if that happens. No way will he run for two terms, he would be 87 by the end of the second term.
    For people interested in ancient history, it strikes me as similar to the accession of Emperor Nerva at the age of 65 (and childless), after the tyranny of Domitian.

Nerva - Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Biden was chosen because he was inoffensive. What does Biden stand for apart from being boring?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    What's sad is the idea being spread that US elections are as trustworthy as those of, eg. Belorus.

Way to strengthen the real enemies of democracy. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Biden was chosen because he was inoffensive. What does Biden stand for apart from being boring?
    He's a determined moderate with strong views on climate change and Obamacare. Not sure if that's it.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Point I was making even though apparently according to the left leaning media everyone hates him and his incompetence is glaring he still turned in some pretty close results.

I find that a little scary.

It does point out some of Trump's populism is still very popular and that Biden isn't enough of a candidate to win via a landslide.

You know none voters not liking candidates abroad doesn't matter I am not a fan of Macron for instance.
    The US has the same problem we have .... a large number of voters still vote for the colour of the rosette / flag and not the candidate, leaving a divided 2 party state. Trump has raised a fanatical base now which is a danger to the reasonable side of the US but I do think (and I could be completely wrong) that these are still a minority.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Point I was making even though apparently according to the left leaning media everyone hates him and his incompetence is glaring he still turned in some pretty close results.

It does point out some of Trump's populism is still very popular and that Biden isn't enough of a candidate to win via a landslide.

You know none voters not liking candidates abroad doesn't matter I am not a fan of Macron for instance.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Last edited by TwoWolves; 18 November 2020, 16:53.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Still a majority of US voters, so I was factually correct. And we don't know how much Trump's gaming impacted the vote to make it closer than it otherwise would have been.

There are also the billions of none US voters around the world who also don't like him, so I'm guessing it's not as 'slim' as you'd like to believe

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    The Republicans are really showing themselves to be total utter cretins:

• In Nevada — a state Trump lost by 2.4 percentage points — the president’s campaign team filed a lawsuit asking a judge to either declare Trump the winner or to reject the state’s election results.
    • In Pennsylvania — which Biden won by more than 82,000 votes — Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani was in court asking a judge to overturn the state’s results. (“At bottom, you’re asking this court to invalidate some 6.8 million votes thereby disenfranchising every single voter in the commonwealth,” the judge said.)
    And then you have that ass Pompeo, currently in Georgia (the country) talking about 'fair and free elections' there

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Worst result for an incumbent since Hoover lost to FDR. Ouch.
    A new record of votes received, but also a very bad result, but also the same losing margin he won with.
    Interesting how you can argue totally different points while being 100% factually accurate. Well. Maybe interesting isn't the right word.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X