• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gold

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gold"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Would have been much more sensible to use one of these to lob one onto the roof.

Davy Crockett (nuclear device) - Wikipedia
    I said "small" not "tiny".

The main challenge would be getting the damn thing somewhere close with that weapon system.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Ciao

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    Ciao

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    So if I buy a painting by Rembrandt or Picasso, store it in a very secure vault with expensive security costs and then sell it 2 years later at twice what I paid for it, you are saying that is not an investment?..
    I would say art is wasted on you.

Tears are not enough in the world as it is you'd rather lock up a masterpiece in the darkness of a vault rather than a find a spot on the wall to be enjoyed by all who passes. Criminal.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    So if I buy a painting by Rembrandt or Picasso, store it in a very secure vault with expensive security costs and then sell it 2 years later at twice what I paid for it, you are saying that is not an investment?

Same for a very rare Ferrari?

Awaiting you illogical and pointless reply....
    If BTC/ETH have expensive proof-of-work algorithms to secure them, are you saying it's not an investment?!

Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index - Digiconomist

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Investments are in something you believe will grow and return a larger profit than before. Exactly what is the metal gold going to do that generates a profit? Nothing. It sits in a room eating money on security.
    So if I buy a painting by Rembrandt or Picasso, store it in a very secure vault with expensive security costs and then sell it 2 years later at twice what I paid for it, you are saying that is not an investment?

Same for a very rare Ferrari?

Awaiting you illogical and pointless reply....

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    It's too late for that with Scooty - that ship sailed a long time ago

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    Investments are in something you believe will grow and return a larger profit than before. Exactly what is the metal gold going to do that generates a profit? Nothing. It sits in a room eating money on security.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Gold can be an investment. You've already embarrassed yourself over this. OP, ignore scooter.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Alternatively exploding a small very dirty nuclear device in Fort Knox might help your assets appreciate.

Here's an instructional video on How Not To Do It.

Would have been much more sensible to use one of these to lob one onto the roof.

Davy Crockett (nuclear device) - Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Use gold as insurance to protect your purchasing power and nothing else. Gold is not an investment.

Price is probably going back up to $2200 in the near term.
    Gold can be an investment. You've already embarrassed yourself over this. OP, ignore scooter.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Use gold as insurance to protect your purchasing power and nothing else. Gold is not an investment.

Price is probably going back up to $2200 in the near term.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Alternatively exploding a small very dirty nuclear device in Fort Knox might help your assets appreciate.

Here's an instructional video on How Not To Do It.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Never try to time the market. The only reason to buy gold is as to minimise exposure for your whole portfolio. I use palladium, rather than gold for this purpose.

I prefer minimised exposure to uranium, although I'd also consider cobalt thorium G. Zeity may weigh in with advice on that one.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I use palladium, rather than gold for this purpose.
    You have shares in the Theatre?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X