• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: eek

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "eek"

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    cooperate in a secret or unlawful way in order to deceive or gain an advantage over others.

Are you saying that HMRC disclosed all information?
    I'm not saying anything. I'm asking on what basis is your claim that HMRC colluded with the loan firms.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Actually as I understand it the government's inability to do things correctly is part of many legal decisions. At the very least if they are proven incompetent then penalties can't really be levied.

I'm not defending those who used the loan schemes just pointing out it was a scam the government failed to fix 20 years ago.

You go get a QC to approve that statement and then we can laugh even more

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    What's that got to do with the price of fish or in fact anything at all to do with loan scheme promoters... Just because HMRC is crap at doing X it doesn't mean they have any responsibility nor blame for the fact people did ABC...
    Actually as I understand it the government's inability to do things correctly is part of many legal decisions. At the very least if they are proven incompetent then penalties can't really be levied.

I'm not defending those who used the loan schemes just pointing out it was a scam the government failed to fix 20 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    "HMRC colluded with many of the loan firms"

That's a pretty serious allegation. Do you have any evidence?

"the statement HMRC reviewed with queens council approval (or similar) was in a lot of brochures."

Did HMRC claim/confirm this? And did those that signed up for the schemes ask to see the approval?

cooperate in a secret or unlawful way in order to deceive or gain an advantage over others.

Are you saying that HMRC disclosed all information?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    What's that got to do with the price of fish or in fact anything at all to do with loan scheme promoters... Just because HMRC is crap at doing X it doesn't mean they have any responsibility nor blame for the fact people did ABC...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Finally 24th July this year.

Loan charge: HMRC's plans to clampdown on loan-scheme promoters slammed by IT contractors

in the wake of criticism over its past enforcement of the loan-charge policy

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is seeking feedback on a set of proposals designed to clamp down on the promoters of tax-avoidance schemes that have left tens of thousands of IT contractors saddled with life-changing tax bills.
    CONTENT CONTINUES BELOW

The tax-collection agency said the proposed legislative changes seek to “strengthen” its existing anti-tax avoidance regimes, and “change the behaviours” of those involved in the promotion and enablement of arrangements that confer a “tax advantage” on participants.
    As such, the proposals will enable HMRC to “more effectively” issue stop notices to parties found to be involved in the marketing of tax-avoidance arrangements through its existing Promoters of Tax-Avoidance Scheme (POTAS) rules.
    These rules were introduced in 2014 to provide HMRC with a means of addressing the behaviour of promoters it deemed to be at high risk of developing tax avoidance schemes, or encouraging others to participate in them.

The proposals published this week aim to make it easier for HMRC to obtain information about the “enabling of abusive schemes” as soon as they are identified and issue penalties as soon as a tax-avoidance scheme has been defeated at tribunal.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

"the statement HMRC reviewed with queens council approval (or similar) was in a lot of brochures."

Did HMRC claim/confirm this? And did those that signed up for the schemes ask to see the approval?
    HMRC reviewed doesn't say HMRC approved of it. Reviewed probably means they had a laugh while reading it.

QC approved was the other one and my viewpoint of that has always been the same, he reviewed the scheme while approving his very liquid and enjoyable lunch that the scheme organisers paid for.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    I suspect sooner or later a judge will notice HMRC colluded with many of the loan firms and permitted them to exist and continue scamming people. Yes you can normally only cheat an honest man but the statement HMRC reviewed with queens council approval (or similar) was in a lot of brochures.

Maybe they will count HMRC partially responsible?

Last edited by Paralytic; 19 August 2020, 11:26.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I suspect sooner or later a judge will notice HMRC colluded with many of the loan firms and permitted them to exist and continue scamming people. Yes you can normally only cheat an honest man but the statement HMRC reviewed with queens council approval (or similar) was in a lot of brochures.

Partially responsible for what - the Loan Charge?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jainnode
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    National Service to the Motherland. You came to this country as a draft dodger.
    FTFY
    he'd have to already be in the armed forces to be a deserter.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    National Service to the Motherland. You came to this country as a deserter.
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me.

If I was a septic I'd have hopped it to Canada as fast as possible.

Hey Hey LBJ & all that, man.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    National Service to the Motherland. You came to this country as a deserter.
    Idiot

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I have full sympathy for the financially uneducated who truly "fell" for these schemes, some of whom were told (apparently) that they had to go via certain umbrella/schemes in order to get the "job", but its hard to feel any such sympathy for those who just listened to what they wanted to hear when they signed up for the scheme, and are now doing the same (and worse, attacking the messengers) when being some very pertinent risks are being pointed out to them.

Reading that thread is a very interesting study on human nature, although it does also have a bit of a that guilty rubber-necking feel about it too.
    Imagine my realisation on Saturday night of what the actual plan was and how well the banned poster had intentionally been pointing people in completely the wrong direction towards a company who may have said enough to make the loan valid..
    Last edited by eek; 19 August 2020, 08:19.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X