• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mortgage thoughts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mortgage thoughts"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Only Cams?

Didn't work out too well for my wife so we took another mortgage out.
    "Only Cams"?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    London you could get a shed for £375K is it up north somewhere ?

What’s the point in a pension if Covid 19 will kill most oldies ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    London, but almost 20 years ago. It was a very nice shed, felt on the roof and everything

Thankfully I'm not an oldie eh And even if I do cark it, that's still less money going to the government in taxes so still a win

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Depends on a number of things .... firstly £150k was the largest my mortgage ever became, and this was on a property of £375k I, as is common, took a small salary and topped up to c.£40k with divs (also dropping a lump into my pension each year via myco). My wife was salaried and earning just shy of 6 figures so she covered bills, hols, drugs and partying whilst my lump sum divs each year went straight to the mortgage. We cleared it in just over 3 years

Not that hard to do if you have no kids and wife/partner earns a decent salary too.
    London you could get a shed for £375K is it up north somewhere ?

What’s the point in a pension if Covid 19 will kill most oldies ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Depends on a number of things .... firstly £150k was the largest my mortgage ever became, and this was on a property of £375k I, as is common, took a small salary and topped up to c.£40k with divs (also dropping a lump into my pension each year via myco). My wife was salaried and earning just shy of 6 figures so she covered bills, hols, drugs and partying whilst my lump sum divs each year went straight to the mortgage. We cleared it in just over 3 years

Not that hard to do if you have no kids and wife/partner earns a decent salary too.
    Only Cams?

Didn't work out too well for my wife so we took another mortgage out.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Out of interest for those who have paid off their mortgage, unless your house is very cheap at some point you must of been a higher rate tax payer to take the money out of myco. How does that work out cheaper then continue paying off a mortgage?

Unless you're of a certain age and have made overpayments, is the only other option I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Well many contractors are older, experienced types who have been paying it off for years.

And of course, there are a lot of Walter Mitty types.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Out of interest for those who have paid off their mortgage, unless your house is very cheap at some point you must of been a higher rate tax payer to take the money out of myco. How does that work out cheaper then continue paying off a mortgage?

Unless you're of a certain age and have made overpayments, is the only other option I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's what poor people who don't rent but 'own' their own home have.
    Or people who want a very cheap loan

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Our most recent mortgage was an offset tracker with Santander, but maybe they’ve stopped doing them.
    0.005% interest isn't enough to offset a mortgage?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    can someone explain what is a mortgage
    When you get that rate increase to £12.50 ph, start saving the extra money. When you reach £10,000, we'll tell you.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    It's what poor people who don't rent but 'own' their own home have. Ask your permie colleagues, they'll love walking through how much of their salary goes to servicing their mortgage

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    +1 INKSPE (except in Switzerland where it's a tax dodgy).

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Our most recent mortgage was an offset tracker with Santander, but maybe they’ve stopped doing them.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I've liked the idea of offset mortgages in the past but never found one that was worth it when trackers let you make unlimited offer payments. Our IFA had some misgivings but I'm not sure what they were as it was a few years ago!

Anyway, were not in a position to easily leave our lender - Santander - due to current situation starting a new business. Luckily they have decent deals but they don't appear to offer an offset.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X