• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cool NASA website

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cool NASA website"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Ooh fab. If you can get photos via it, you should share!
    I will give it a go, just trying to get to grips with the basics at the mo, but will work towards a few pictures.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Don't let the missus have a go or she'll want the ceiling repainted.
    You are using the wrong position, doggy is best.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    For my birthday I was given a celestron powerseeker telescope. It seems a fine beginners bit of equipment.

Unfortunately, not had much of a chance to use it yet because of the cloudy sky.
    Ooh fab. If you can get photos via it, you should share!

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    At the smaller end.

If I was to get into it again I'd get an automated mount that tracks the motion of the earth and which you can set remotely, and where you don't look through the viewfinder but rather connect via wifi.

In this way, you can have the telescope sitting outside, while you're toast warm inside. You also can get great photos.

Otherwise, a pair of binoculars can be utterly amazing for viewing the night sky and a lot easier to use than a telescope.
    For my birthday I was given a celestron powerseeker telescope. It seems a fine beginners bit of equipment.

Unfortunately, not had much of a chance to use it yet because of the cloudy sky.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Comos Lovers - this is suberb - classical composer Eric Whittaker has set music to Hubbles Deep Field Image - I have just watched this on my large screen TV - wow !!!

Deep Field: The Impossible Magnitude of our Universehttps://deepfieldfilm.com/

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    There was an earlier query on this thread as to what telescope to purchase - having ben an avid stargazer for ovr 40 years my advice is to consider investing in some quality binoculars - this link will give you a few options

Best Binoculars for Astronomy (UK) – Procular

I still use binoculars for quick and fast observations.

Finally have a wee look at this wonderful YouTube video on 30th anniversary of Space Telescope Hubble - this is still providing wonderful science - it is funded by NASA and 30 per cent (well last time i looked) European Space Agency,

YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    We have my grandfathers old telescope. It's nothing at all special and is about 70 year old now. However you can see the rings around Saturn through it which never fails to please the younger family members.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'm almost inspired to purchase a telescope and get into this - though I have no idea where to start.
    At the smaller end.

If I was to get into it again I'd get an automated mount that tracks the motion of the earth and which you can set remotely, and where you don't look through the viewfinder but rather connect via wifi.

In this way, you can have the telescope sitting outside, while you're toast warm inside. You also can get great photos.

Otherwise, a pair of binoculars can be utterly amazing for viewing the night sky and a lot easier to use than a telescope.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I don’t but will take a gander.

Ive got a fancy vr headset so will take a look if anything similar for that also.
    If you have young-ish kids or grandkids, they'll love it.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    It might be one of those websites that everyone knows about but I've only just discovered it.

Overview | Our Solar System – NASA Solar System Exploration

I'm almost inspired to purchase a telescope and get into this - though I have no idea where to start.
    Maybe this camera

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Looks good. I take it you have the Google Sky or similar phone app?
    I don’t but will take a gander.

Ive got a fancy vr headset so will take a look if anything similar for that also.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    It might be one of those websites that everyone knows about but I've only just discovered it.

Overview | Our Solar System – NASA Solar System Exploration

Try Astronomy for Beginners | Night Sky Facts, FAQs & Resources - Sky & Telescope

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Point it upwards, at night, remove the lense covers and look through the viewfinder.

Zig - In "ever helpful" mode!
    The "and then try it outside!" was being left for when he moves from "noob" to "intermediate". We don't want to overload him!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Just read that In Depth page, interesting stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Point it upwards, at night, remove the lense covers and look through the viewfinder.

Zig - In "ever helpful" mode!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X