• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Million quid fine on rail company for not preventing an idiot for being an idiot"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Standard fine is 100k but it was a peak time Gatwick Express service.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And still the mods stay silent.
    yeh, inneresting that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And still the mods stay silent.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    I used to enjoy riding in the inter carriage area of the old 125s with both windows down.
    Hmmmm....inneresting....

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    Inter carriage area with the windows down every 5 minutes does it for me.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Indeed it was fairly common to stick your head out the window when I was a kid. If there is an obstacle on the route they should have made sure the windows didn't open wide enough to put your head out, or a big warning on the window.
    Let people stick their heads out if they're stupid enough. Natural selection, init?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    When I was a kid travelling by train to North Wales for the summer hols, I'd spend half the journey with my head out of the window, and arrive looking like a red-eyed miner after a long shift at the coal face.

Seems to me these outside obstacles shouldn't be so close to the train, and I'm sure they never used to be.
    Indeed it was fairly common to stick your head out the window when I was a kid. If there is an obstacle on the route they should have made sure the windows didn't open wide enough to put your head out, or a big warning on the window.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    The company behind Gatwick Express has been fined a million quid for a health and safety breach due to having too much clutter around a sign saying "do not lean out of window".
    You don't need a sign to tell you that unless you are mentally retarded grrrr!

I mean, has anyone on here ever stuck their head out (on older trains) and not been cognizant of the risks?

Govia Thameslink fined GBP1m over Gatwick Express window death - BBC News
    When I was a kid travelling by train to North Wales for the summer hols, I'd spend half the journey with my head out of the window, and arrive looking like a red-eyed miner after a long shift at the coal face.

Seems to me these outside obstacles shouldn't be so close to the train, and I'm sure they never used to be.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    I hate these hermetically sealed bog units. I used to enjoy riding in the inter carriage area of the old 125s with both windows down. Something I could do up until about a month or so ago ?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

damn beat me to it!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    The company behind Gatwick Express has been fined a million quid for a health and safety breach due to having too much clutter around a sign saying "do not lean out of window".

I mean, has anyone on here ever stuck their head out (on older trains) and not been cognizant of the risks?

Yes, but only the once...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    H+S is there to prevent the unwary getting hurt, not to prevent the determined.
    Did he breed or is he a contender for a Darwin?

Having just read the article this stood out:

described by friends as a life-long railway fanatic who was working in the rail industry
    Now call me sceptical if you wish but this stinks.
    Last edited by NigelJK; 17 July 2019, 13:38.

Leave a comment:

• Million quid fine on rail company for not preventing an idiot for being an idiot

Working...
X