• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recruiter Breach of Contract. Small Claims Court?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Client and agency in "couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery" shocker

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by Analyzer View Post
    And should I suffer an economic impact?
    Yes.
    Part of the reason contracting is well paid is that we take risks that some others are not prepared to take. Of which this is one.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    FTFY..

Hard life this contracting malarkey innit...
    Remember no deal is better than a bad deal

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Aggregated feedback amounts to I don't really have leverage. I did turn down other roles in favour of the option which commenced the earliest, then to discover the agent/client let me down. And should I suffer an economic impact?
    FTFY..

Hard life this contracting malarkey innit...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Aggregated feedback amounts to I don't really have leverage. I did turn down other roles in favor of the option which commenced the earliest, then to discover the agent/client let me down. And should I suffer an economic impact?
    Did you turn down other interviews or did you turn down signing other contracts?

There’s a big difference.
    1. Don’t stop going for interviews
    2. When you have multiple contracts in front of you to sign, you are in a position to negotiate, or to choose based on a variety of factors - travel time, rate, project, client, etc.

You were let down, sure, but it was your choice to put all your eggs in one basket.
    You claim you suffered economic impact, but you’ve no guarantee that any of the other roles you turned down would actually have turned into contracts either.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Aggregated feedback amounts to I don't really have leverage. I did turn down other roles in favor of the option which commenced the earliest, then to discover the agent/client let me down. And should I suffer an economic impact?
    Thats what contracting is about.

Leave a comment:

• Analyzer
    replied
    Thanks All.

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    I would go to court as Snowflake ltd should not be incurring any losses.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Time for a poll....?

Where's the AndyW option?

No poll is complete without one.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    No
    Yes.
    Maybe.
    Time for a poll....?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Yes.
    Maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Advice please; Recruiter broke contract agreement start date resulting in three-week income loss. Reason came down admin delay recruiter/client side, nevertheless no fault of mine.

Recruiter failed to amend anything, I resigned, started elsewhere, and threatened small claims court. Recruiter counter threatens with they are not liable attributed to my not taking action in first thirty days of the event and delays client side, will entitle them to delay contract start date, and they will financially punish should I take further action.

Fact is both recruiter and end client botched my onboarding, and as always the candidate is the one to suffer the losses. Do I have a case to reclaim from small claims court?
    Quit contracting. Now.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    No
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Contract start delays can and do happen. What evidence do you have of the financial loss? Did you turn down other work to take this role that was a dead cert to happen?

If the contract started three weeks late, it could also end three weeks later than originally expected so there would be no loss but you chose to flounce and quit instead

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Advice please; Recruiter broke contract agreement start date resulting in three-week income loss. Reason came down admin delay recruiter/client side, nevertheless no fault of mine.
    You can't lose something you didn't earn. They could have kept the date the same but told you not to come in as there isn't any work for you. Same outcome for you.
    Recruiter failed to amend anything, I resigned, started elsewhere, and threatened small claims court. Recruiter counter threatens with they are not liable attributed to my not taking action in first thirty days of the event and delays client side, will entitle them to delay contract start date, and they will financially punish should I take further action.

Fact is both recruiter and end client botched my onboarding, and as always the candidate is the one to suffer the losses. Do I have a case to reclaim from small claims court?
    No.

What is very key here is exactly when you signed the contract, what did it say, when did they tell you the start date wasn't achievable and so on. But either way no. You didn't work it so can't get paid for it so no loss.

What you could do is check your IPSE+ Business interruption cover. The agency moving the dates MIGHT be covered by that.. but I have a feeling not. That's a delay, not a fundamental breach of contract. Worth checking though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X