• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor lifestyle"

Collapse

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    ..Another dream crushed by marriage
    Ho hum..

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    In my 20's I promised myself a Porsche by the time I was 30. When I was 30 I had a young family so it was impractical and I didn't have enough spare to get one just for fun. Then for many years I decided I didn't really like them that much, and that's basically still true, but I did like the Panamera Anyway I don't have 80k to spend on one right now, so it'll likely never happen. Another dream crushed by the harsh reality of life!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Does it look like every other 911

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    Friend has got the 370Z and hates it - heavy, not very exciting power delivery, and not great at getting the power down in the wet.

But then we're both used to 90s/00s JDM cars, so unless it's got a bonnet scoop, 5" exhaust, enormous rear wing and ridiculous turbo lag, we're not impressed!

+1 for someone who idolised Porsche as a child, but now I don't see them as anything particularly special and don't aspire to own one - I'd sooner have a Nissan GT-R, ageing as it is, or a hot German.
    Get them tissues ready...

Leave a comment:

• fiisch
    replied
    Friend has got the 370Z and hates it - heavy, not very exciting power delivery, and not great at getting the power down in the wet.

But then we're both used to 90s/00s JDM cars, so unless it's got a bonnet scoop, 5" exhaust, enormous rear wing and ridiculous turbo lag, we're not impressed!

+1 for someone who idolised Porsche as a child, but now I don't see them as anything particularly special and don't aspire to own one - I'd sooner have a Nissan GT-R, ageing as it is, or a hot German.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    What Porsche have you got? I've never really been a Porsche fan but quite fancy the 996, seems good value (it is old after all) and looks the part. But having said that I do quite fancy a 370 so might look a little harder at that.

Get the MR2, I had the gen2 model when it was released (company car ) and it really is fun.
    I've got a Gen 1 Cayman S. I'd not get the new one. They've dumbed down the back end so it doesn't have the humped wheel arches. Doesn't look half as, I dunno, aggressive maybe. That said the new boxter looks nicer than the old one and I'd prefer a convertible so that might be an option in time. Never been a fan of the Mercs and BMW options.

It's the Gen 3 MR2 I'd pick. I'll get flamed for saying it but the styling isn't a million miles off the Cayman but the back end is a bit ugly. I always catch myself looking at them and the Celica so gonna have to get one for a giggle I think.

I must say I've found the servicing costs of the Porsche a little eye watering. If you've enough to own a Porsche it shouldn't be an issue. Just don't love the brand enough so it seems excessive.

One upside is they hold their value. I've had mine 3 years and don't so a lot of miles so I reckon I'm only got to lose a few grand on depreciation which is a great bonus.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I had a 350z roadster before this one. Best smiles per mile car I've had. They've dumbed down the 370 noise and it's more refined so wasn't that keen on one.

To be honest I'll probably get a 2k old Celica or MR2 for a bit of fun next. I couldnt afford one back then and always wanted one so got to get it out my system.

After that hopefully the F-Types prices will have come down a bit.
    What Porsche have you got? I've never really been a Porsche fan but quite fancy the 996, seems good value (it is old after all) and looks the part. But having said that I do quite fancy a 370 so might look a little harder at that.

Get the MR2, I had the gen2 model when it was released (company car ) and it really is fun.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    As a kid, I always wanted a Porsche. I always said, success in life for me would be the day I got myself one. 10 years ago I got to the stage when mortgage paid off, and I could go and buy one cash. Decided though that even though I'd 'made it' (in relation to what my teenage self saw as making it) in life I'd actually forgo the Porsche. Eventually decided to get myself a VW T5 camper instead. Still have a VW bus and love it; don't see myself changing this. So much fun (and really useful to get all my wife's disabled kit in!).

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm happy with my modded Citroen Saxo VTS
    ….with the custom prawn star exhausts....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I'm happy with my modded Citroen Saxo VTS

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Well cheer yourself up and buy one...

He can't they only make one of that model a year and the Party leaders get first pick! Its a 10 year old Lada again for our Squirrel lover.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    They've dumbed down the 370 noise and it's more refined so wasn't that keen on one.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Jesus Christ, this forum is depressing ...
    Well cheer yourself up and buy one...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Jesus Christ, this forum is depressing ...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I used to work about 200m away from the curve of the test track you can see next to a room where they made all the clay mockups of future Porsche's, they actually had some nice models there that they never put into production. I used to enjoy turning up and parking the AMG in the carpark and wouldn't have bought one of their products even if it was offered at staff prices (well maybe a GT3 or GT2)...Personally I think they're overpriced, some models are definitely overrated and common as muck here...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X