• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: In the garden

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "In the garden"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    I just tidy up the weeds, keep the ones I like, get rid of the rest. At least I've almost managed to eradicate the Giant Hogweed.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Depends how much work you want to put in. At a basic level just buy 5l of apple juice (not sugar free), add cider yeast (or champagne yeast) and watch it in a demijohn for a couple of weeks.

A quick google gives this recipe, which is a bit more fancy as it adds a cup of tea for the tannins...
    https://countryskillsblog.com/2012/0...-this-at-home/
    the tea helps.

Its very popular.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    the goodstuff lidl apple juice is beautiful

how do you make turbo cider ?

Milan.
    https://www.brewuk.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=20&t=47689

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    do you do sloe gin ?

I forgot to mention the rhubarb which we put in last year will produce this year, yum rhubarb crumble awaits

what about tomatoes, last year we had one tomato plant and it was magical as fast as we harvested tomatoes it grew new ones !!

Milan.
    Normally do 5-10l of sloe gin every year. Aldi or Lidl gin is best for the base and we like ours sharp, so tend to 1/2 the amount of sugar suggested in most recipes.

Rhubarb mostly ends up in rhubarb & ginger jam or crumbles. I might try a rhubarb gelato this year as well.

We normally have 4-5 tomato plants in the greenhouse and a couple of tumbling ones in a hanging basket. If you get to the end of the season with a lot of unripened tomatoes left on the plants, they make a great chutney.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Just remembered another line of plants I have - a hedge made up of hawthorn and blackthorn. The blackthorn is currently in bloom so hopefully we will have a good crop of sloes again this year.
    I need to get out and shape the hedge, but will wait until summer for that.

do you do sloe gin ?

I forgot to mention the rhubarb which we put in last year will produce this year, yum rhubarb crumble awaits

what about tomatoes, last year we had one tomato plant and it was magical as fast as we harvested tomatoes it grew new ones !!

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Just remembered another line of plants I have - a hedge made up of hawthorn and blackthorn. The blackthorn is currently in bloom so hopefully we will have a good crop of sloes again this year.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

You've just reminded me of the joys of trimming 100 yards of blackthorn hedge as planted by my grandfather to keep the cattle from eating the plants in the garden.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Until the weekend it was winter - pruned the apple trees and planted some bare-root trees but that's it.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Bought some more Agent Orange.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
    To be fair, my garden looks like the USAF just bombed the hell out of it. I have a bay tree that survived, and that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Depends how much work you want to put in. At a basic level just buy 5l of apple juice (not sugar free), add cider yeast (or champagne yeast) and watch it in a demijohn for a couple of weeks.

A quick google gives this recipe, which is a bit more fancy as it adds a cup of tea for the tannins...
    thanks

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    2nd year the apples & pears are in the ground. Hopefully I will get some decent fruit this year.

Whilst I fancy cider when we get up to 6 trees this year I will be happy with eaters (Royal Gala) & Cookers (Bramleys) plus conference pears. I have some Keelies as well.

We have red gooseberries & Blackcurrants that don't make it past the "little people".

Micro V & I planted out the veg in seed trays, we should have some plants soon. French beans, spinach peas, Cauliflower & various herbs. Honestly far better ground use than potatoes. I might try some spud tubs this year again. Last house suffered from Slugs.

If you really want cider pop down to Lidl & buy 69p /Litre apple juice it makes pretty good Turbo cider. I normally have a demijohn going in the summer.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Bought some more Agent Orange.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    2nd year the apples & pears are in the ground. Hopefully I will get some decent fruit this year.

Whilst I fancy cider when we get up to 6 trees this year I will be happy with eaters (Royal Gala) & Cookers (Bramleys) plus conference pears. I have some Keelies as well.

We have red gooseberries & Blackcurrants that don't make it past the "little people".

Micro V & I planted out the veg in seed trays, we should have some plants soon. French beans, spinach peas, Cauliflower & various herbs. Honestly far better ground use than potatoes. I might try some spud tubs this year again. Last house suffered from Slugs.

If you really want cider pop down to Lidl & buy 69p /Litre apple juice it makes pretty good Turbo cider. I normally have a demijohn going in the summer.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I'm waiting on my man* to do all this.

The damn bolshy has been neglecting his duties, I really must have a word.

qh

*father-in-law

Leave a comment:

Working...
X