• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The best way to illustrate to HMRC what Lack of Moo means"

Collapse

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Should have gotten them to explain MoO to you while you were there
    Thanks for that suggesion, although I'm happy to go with the explanations provided by Dave Smith and Anne Redston.

When I looked at the ESM, it tried to suggest that getting paid proved MOO. No, HMRC, getting paid is Consideration, which is an essential element of a Contract.
    Last edited by RetSet; 8 April 2017, 19:26.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    Yep, was there for about 18 months.
    :
    Should have gotten them to explain MoO to you while you were there

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Has anyone here ever worked with HMRC (contractor or permie)? I would've thought it's not uninteresting work.
    Yep, was there for about 18 months.

I got to see their internal news rag.

There really are inspectors who genuinely believe that all taxpayers are out to deliberarately underpay on taxes due.

Having said that, in subsequent issues, other inspectors took a more moderate view and called these tossers out as such, although not quite so directly.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    All in, this is wonderful news because it means that HMRC's systems will be a shambles for many years to come. Hopefully it'll slow them down in pestering the workforce and trying to implement the government's increasingly desperate and poorly thought out tax raids.
    It'll also mean mistakes are more likely and getting them rectified takes longer.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    All in, this is wonderful news because it means that HMRC's systems will be a shambles for many years to come. Hopefully it'll slow them down in pestering the workforce and trying to implement the government's increasingly desperate and poorly thought out tax raids.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Has anyone here ever worked with HMRC (contractor or permie)? I would've thought it's not uninteresting work.
    Never worked there but their code is in public domain: https://github.com/hmrc

Most of their stuff is Scala which should make finding replacement developers quite tricky.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Yes, same as most Gov contracts except it takes an absolute age to get in through the front door due to the excessive security.
    It's a way in for someone who effectively knows nothing outside a home PC (i.e. 90% of school and Uni leavers...). A few more people offering (and taking on) such roles would eventually kill off the "skills shortage".

[EDIT] Ermm.... - Ignore me. Wrong thread.
    Last edited by malvolio; 7 April 2017, 11:30.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Yes, same as most Gov contracts except it takes an absolute age to get in through the front door due to the excessive security.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Think what NYUK would do for the King's Shilling.
    Ask his accountant what to do with it?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    They'll have a Press Gang waiting outside the next CUK Christmas do, coshing people as they leave and hauling them off to permiedom in the Civil Service

Think what NLYUK would do for the King's Shilling.
    Last edited by vetran; 8 April 2017, 13:38.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    Haven't you read Tolley's IR 35 Defence Strategies? Haven't you read HMRC's Employment Status Manual?

Are you cut out to be a contractor?

Here's a piece about MOO for BrilloPad and everybody else who doesn't know:

IR35: Mutuality of Obligation: what it is and what it is not :: Contractor UK
    Outside of the legal profession, the phrase "absence of Mutuality of Obligation" is now often used to mean something like "the absence of any obligation to provide and do further work when the current (relatively short term) piece of work which the worker is obliged to complete has come to an end"
    Great link.

Obviously it would help if you had a Scooby as to what it actually means

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    (Read it yesterday) I particularly liked the bit about not working their notice ...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Won't they just use this as an excuse to get in a consultancy firm and hire a load of Indians?
    Of course they will, and they'll end up with a giant clustershag. And nobody will be willing to help dig them out of it. A scenario which will of course be widely repeated across the public sector. What's the betting they blame brexit...

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Won't they just use this as an excuse to get in a consultancy firm and hire a load of Indians?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X