• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you cycle to work?"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    You have to lock EVERY part of your bike nowadays.
    I saw a bike chained up missing its front wheel and next to it a front wheel chained up missing a Bike. Obviously the thief has just stolen the bike and used the other guys wheel to get away!
    Anything fixed with a hex bolt is also at risk of being nicked. Handlebar stems, saddles, seat posts etc. Best solution is to get the bike setup right then use super glue to fix a ball bearing in each socket. If you ever need to adjust it again then use some nail varnish remover and pin to pop it back out again.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    If so what bike have you got?
    I need some advise as I'm looking to get this bike, but not to sure If I feel safe leaving it at the station in the morning.

Buy Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er Mountain Bike 2014 - Hardtail Race MTB at Tredz Bikes. £680.00 with free UK delivery

Is it worth the risk or should I just get a basic £99 bike.
    It's a great mountain bike but not the best commuter bike. I used to have an earlier model, locked it up with two locks and removed the quick release seat post, never had any bother.

Better commuter bike:

Moda Chord 2013 Bike MOD429 : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys Cycles

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I di try cycling to work, but had to give up when the missus complained about me wearing a groove in the stair carpet...

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    You have to lock EVERY part of your bike nowadays.
    I saw a bike chained up missing its front wheel and next to it a front wheel chained up missing a Bike. Obviously the thief has just stolen the bike and used the other guys wheel to get away!

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    My £250 decathlon froldup is under my desk and has been going strong for over 3 years ta

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    WTF! I just checked the crime statistics for the station and there were 2 bikes stolen last month a 1 before that!
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Those will just be the ones that are recorded/reported it's probable that the true figures are an order of magnitude higher.
    But still you need to factor in how many bikes are typically at the station... at a small station that's quite a lot, at a big station with maybe hundreds of bikes, your odds are better.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    WTF! I just checked the crime statistics for the station and there were 2 bikes stolen last month a 1 before that!

Give it a try, just put your local postcode in: Police.uk
    Those will just be the ones that are recorded/reported it's probable that the true figures are an order of magnitude higher.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied

Give it a try, just put your local postcode in: Police.uk

I think i'll just get this

Last edited by CloudWalker; 5 October 2014, 21:26.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    If you do get a £99 bike, make sure it is only £99 'cos it's second hand. Pay that much for a new bike and it won't last a year even if it doesn't get stolen.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    That saddle looks like an instrument of torture, and the handle bars so low.

All the pretty ladies in Munich town seem to use those bikes with handle bars in line with the direction of travel. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I have a 30 year old steel road bike that I use to commute in London. It's been converted to single speed, looks like crap and weighs a ton compared to modern bikes. I cost me £50 to buy and looks like it's worth less.

Unless you want a nice'ish bike to ride other than on the commute, don't bother.

I;d also not bother with a full on MTB for commuting. they are big, heavy and hard work. Your better off with a proper hybrid with thinner tyres and no suspension.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm on my 5th bike , one was a cheapy and broke the rest were nicked.

get an old specialized from ebay and a get stuffed D lock. paint both rough and you have half a chance of keeping it.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    If so what bike have you got?
    I need some advise as I'm looking to get this bike, but not to sure If I feel safe leaving it at the station in the morning.

Buy Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er Mountain Bike 2014 - Hardtail Race MTB at Tredz Bikes. £680.00 with free UK delivery

Is it worth the risk or should I just get a basic £99 bike.
    That's a nice 'Before' pic.

Here's the 'After' pic....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'm sure it's great and a regular cyclist would find it more fun than a cheapo, but let's face it bikes are stolen all the damn time, unless you can take it with you into the office or they have secure storage it's asking for grief.
    Leaving it outside a station all day you're bound to be looking at an empty spot one day or another.
    Yep, I used to work with people that kept a cycle at either end of their journey.

They either had them pinched or had the locks regularly damaged in attempts to pinch them. One chap said that he spent the same amount on locks as he did on the bike.

Get one that you wouldn't be upset about if/when it disappears.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I'm sure it's great and a regular cyclist would find it more fun than a cheapo, but let's face it bikes are stolen all the damn time, unless you can take it with you into the office or they have secure storage it's asking for grief.
    Leaving it outside a station all day you're bound to be looking at an empty spot one day or another.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X