• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brown envelopes dropping onto a LOAD of doormats today"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You are a senior HMRC official, and I claim my sweetheart deal.
    AH HAH!! :

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    HMRC "offer to settle" == pay up all the money we think you owe*

* (2002-2012) Unless you can wine and dine senior HMRC officials and get a sweetheart deal
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    ...Meanwhile I'm on my 3rd glass of complimentary wine sat on a train while heading south for a short break
    You are a senior HMRC official, and I claim my sweetheart deal.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I am now beginning to get irritated with the self-pitying 'I was an innocent - it's always someone else's fault' tone of a lot of the posts.

And as for due diligence - they found this site quick enough when the demands dropped through the door.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    The greatest pity is you have already pro created.
    I don't think he is a pro, I imagine he just hit and hoped.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    You da man

Sent from my iMinion using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Brown envelopes dropping onto a LOAD of doormats today

This from someone desperately under quoting for work as he is desperately takes any work people with give him as he has been canned again.

Meanwhile I'm on my 3rd glass of complimentary wine sat on a train while heading south for a short break

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    I had one on Monday who was flogging a service returning "a minimum of 85% of your daily rate net of all taxation". I was working from home and felt a bit mischievous so did play him along a wee bit, he eventually said my special circumstances meant that they'd be willing to guarantee 89% return and that's nearly unheard of in their company, I am honoured to be so special. I raised all the HMRC activity around these sorts of schemes, he rolled out the usual cast iron guarantees, QC and HMRC approved, insurance, etc. He struggled a bit when I asked him if he could get a UK based director to sign a personal indemnity form. I said that if the scheme was that cast iron, had insurances covering everything and was unbreakable then surely a director would have no issue signing a personal indemnity form, after all it's no risk, isn't it? I said that I wouldn't consider it without such a thing and if he could get it then he should call me back. I wonder if I'll ever hear from that nice chappie again...

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Probably 13 yrs ago there was one of these schemes called Dignatio or something similar. IIRC they were in the IOM. The scheme involved some dodgy loan scheme, where they held your money and paid it back as an interest free 'loan'. All seemed fine until they fecked off with millions in their coffers and nothing could be done about it as it was no longer the contractors money. Top rate scam.

Can't believe people were still pilling into similar schemes for years after that.

and here it is

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...fp-scheme.html
    Interesting thread. ShaunsBhoy lost a packet of cash and was involved in dodgy schemes.
    People lost money and were trying to see if similar schemes existed.
    EBT is defensible in court.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Probably 13 yrs ago there was one of these schemes called Dignatio or something similar. IIRC they were in the IOM. The scheme involved some dodgy loan scheme, where they held your money and paid it back as an interest free 'loan'. All seemed fine until they fecked off with millions in their coffers and nothing could be done about it as it was no longer the contractors money. Top rate scam.

Can't believe people were still pilling into similar schemes for years after that.

and here it is

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...fp-scheme.html
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 29 July 2014, 14:10.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I find discussing the suicide of people who previously joined such schemes really puts them off their spiel....
    Thanks for the tip.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I think it's more a case of willful blindness or willful ignorance.
    Magical thinking

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    drivel

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Brown envelopes dropping onto a LOAD of doormats today

You have to be on drugs.
    One of us definitely is.

every insult you try and make reflects far worse on you than the person you are trying to insult.

And this was not a thread to insult those being helpful to the great clueless (namely you)

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

Think through what you've just said to spot the complete flaw within the supposed insult...
    You have to be on drugs.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I got a brown envelope yesterday.

All it had inside was a Papa John's Pizza menu. I was somewhat disappointed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X