• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Government packages"

Collapse

• TestMangler
    replied
    Now then. I got my 10K grant, delivered silently to my business bank account, this morning. Noice !!!!

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Craig quoting himself? Is he succumbing to cabin fever? Not handling self isolation so well?

We are here to help!!!! Come lie down and tell doctor NLUK all about it.
    The beer is drying up and I don't want to leave the house

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
    What if the worker was employed for less than a year? How do you work out the claim?

Claim the average monthly earnings since they started.
    Craig quoting himself? Is he succumbing to cabin fever? Not handling self isolation so well?

We are here to help!!!! Come lie down and tell doctor NLUK all about it.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
    If the employee has been employed for the full 12 months prior to the claim then you use the higher of either:

the same month’s earnings from the previous year OR

average monthly earnings from the 2019-2020 tax year
    What if the worker was employed for less than a year? How do you work out the claim?

Claim the average monthly earnings since they started.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil Low View Post
    Isn't this open to someone modifying their February wage to a higher figure to gain more (from the 80%) by re-submitting it to HMRC now?
    If the employee has been employed for the full 12 months prior to the claim then you use the higher of either:

the same month’s earnings from the previous year OR

average monthly earnings from the 2019-2020 tax year
    Last edited by Craig@Clarity; 2 April 2020, 22:06. Reason: Didn't make it clear enough

Leave a comment:

• Phil Low
    replied
    Isn't this open to someone modifying their February wage to a higher figure to gain more (from the 80%) by re-submitting it to HMRC now?

Leave a comment:

• Phil Low
    replied
    Modifying wages

If the 80% is based on February payment, isn't this open to fiddling by resubmitting a higher figure for this month?

Leave a comment:

• tester552
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Why the 28th Feb ? What was the reason ?

Is it so people don't make up employees to claim extra ??

Who on the 1st March saw any of this coming ? Seems grossly unfair!
    It is very unfair, yes.

However the scheme is going from March for an initial 3 months which means end of May at the moment. If you have any kind of termination notice period, like 2 weeks for example, that means April is mostly covered, so as per current status it's only a 2K "loss".

By the end of May things will change a lot, deaths will stabilize, we will hopefully have enough tests, enough ventillators, maybe a drug which helps a bit and people will be REALLY fed up with the lockdown.

So the topic will change to easing lockdown, trying to revive economy and living together with the virus on the long term.
    And once lockdowns are eased interviews will start to happen.

Maybe the scheme gets a month or two extension, but I don't see them being able to maintain the scheme for more than 6 months total - I don't think anyone will work for years in the frontline while others get the same money while sitting at home.

IMO it is a game of somehow surviving April and May and then you won't lose too much. In the meantime use your anger as motivation to learn, go on hackerrank and practise etc., learn new skills etc., in the end this is what will bring $$$ in, not the government schemes.

In my opinion it might also be possible that as time goes they will shift the initial deadline, but the earliest date to announce that March is included is next week as you can submit march FPS to HMRC until 5th of April, so they can only announce anything like this only afterwards in order to avoid mass fraud.
    Last edited by tester552; 2 April 2020, 15:06.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

I wonder how much fraud will happen around this area.
    Lots.

The general law of "if I can, I will" is likely to apply

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The Government did use the most appropriate date for the cut off to avoid fraud which was February's payroll. If you are on February's payroll HMRC know where you are working, if you aren't it is too open to fraud.
    Ok so its fraud drive you think - does make sense - while still being dreadfully unfair and unhelpful in these times.

I wonder how much fraud will happen around this area.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    The Government did use the most appropriate date for the cut off to avoid fraud which was February's payroll. If you are on February's payroll HMRC know where you are working, if you aren't it is too open to fraud.
    Will everyone who was employed at 28/2 be on a Feb payroll? What if someone started *on* 28/2? I wonder if they'll actually use March payroll as the indicator.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    I think the "extra 4 weeks to complete your January self assessment return" opens that up quite spectacularly

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I get there needs to be a cut off - personal I think it should of been fair to use the date of the announcement was the fairest possible. Feels like that ship has sailed though. Doubt they will change it.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Because, as with everything, there always has to be a cut off. Many organisations do payroll monthly so the last full month before the measure was announced is probably easier to manage, especially as that will be the last month for which returns will have been done.
    I get there needs to be a cut off - personal I think it should of been fair to use the date of the announcement was the fairest possible. Feels like that ship has sailed though. Doubt they will change it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Why the 28th Feb ? What was the reason ?

Is it so people don't make up employees to claim extra ??

Who on the 1st March saw any of this coming ? Seems grossly unfair!
    Because, as with everything, there always has to be a cut off. Many organisations do payroll monthly so the last full month before the measure was announced is probably easier to manage, especially as that will be the last month for which returns will have been done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X