• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Onboarding billable?"

Collapse

• heathen666
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Unless the client and the work are superb, I'd be inclined to move on away from this agency at the first opportunity.
    TBH the client is decent, the client has been looking to fill my role for 5 months so there's a load of work there. Also outside of IR35 so it's a difficult call. I certainly will be looking at the market when my renewal in April comes up.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Which is fair enough but I must admit I'd be proper irked at this and wonder what other tricks they are pulling. I can't help but think this is the tip of the iceberg. If they are happy to blatantly screw the client then I'd be wondering what they are doing to you? Do you know the rate they are charging the client and therefore their margin? Are you sure they aren't pocketing 20%+ and so on.
    I agree with you, I've made sure I have a email trail for all of the conversation that's been going on. As for their cut, they've said 9%, but I have no way of confirming whether that is true or not but given the weird day rate I'm on, it'd make sense.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by heathen666 View Post

I had been tempted to be honest, but there's around 15 of us on this project from the same agency so I don't want to rock the boat any more than I already have (that's another story). I did have a chat with a couple with the other guys and it seems that it's accepted that the agency is a bit dodgy (understatement) but they pay on time.
    Which is fair enough but I must admit I'd be proper irked at this and wonder what other tricks they are pulling. I can't help but think this is the tip of the iceberg. If they are happy to blatantly screw the client then I'd be wondering what they are doing to you? Do you know the rate they are charging the client and therefore their margin? Are you sure they aren't pocketing 20%+ and so on.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Unless the client and the work are superb, I'd be inclined to move on away from this agency at the first opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• heathen666
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'd throw the agency under the bus by innocently talking about it with the client. But then, I'm nasty.
    I had been tempted to be honest, but there's around 15 of us on this project from the same agency so I don't want to rock the boat any more than I already have (that's another story). I did have a chat with a couple with the other guys and it seems that it's accepted that the agency is a bit dodgy (understatement) but they pay on time.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Reminds me of a sneaky pimp who sent out 3m extension contracts to all contractors without checking with the end client. None of us were extended.

3 years later I'm still getting daily email reminders to sign that contract in my junk mail.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 13 December 2023, 20:00.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'd throw the agency under the bus by innocently talking about it with the client. But then, I'm nasty.

Leave a comment:

• Paracelsus
    replied
    I wouldn't bill for it if outside IR35. Also wouldn't go along with whatever shenanigans the agency is upto trying to sneak those days in.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

To be honest. I haven't seen anything from this agency that's done "properly". I got an email confirming my timesheets for November had been approved, but when I checked to see who had approved them.. it was an employee of the agency. As far as I can tell, unless there's a communication between the agency and their client which I don't know about, the client doesn't know what I'm billing for!?
    Which is exactly what I suspected and would make me very nervous. I'd expect the client sign off is in the contract and if the agent is self signing for days not agreed with the client then this could be pretty serious hence me not being overly comfortable with the situation. You can bet when it goes tits up it will all fall in your lap, not the agents, although I can't see how they can come out of this unscathed if you have an email trail.

How you proceed I've no idea but good to understand exactly what is going on.

Leave a comment:

• heathen666
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Well so far there is only me automatically assuming that and based on the fact A) It's an agent and B) this dubious process of spreading it overtime has dubious overtones so A+B makes a fair assumption.

If the agent wasn't scamming it would be black and white, stick the 9 days in and away you go. All the evidence this is a backdoor job and none that it's being done properly.
    To be honest. I haven't seen anything from this agency that's done "properly". I got an email confirming my timesheets for November had been approved, but when I checked to see who had approved them.. it was an employee of the agency. As far as I can tell, unless there's a communication between the agency and their client which I don't know about, the client doesn't know what I'm billing for!?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
    Ha funny how everyone automatically assumed the agent is trying to pull a scam.

it is sus that they have just out of the blue agree to pay.
    Well so far there is only me automatically assuming that and based on the fact A) It's an agent and B) this dubious process of spreading it overtime has dubious overtones so A+B makes a fair assumption.

If the agent wasn't scamming it would be black and white, stick the 9 days in and away you go. All the evidence this is a backdoor job and none that it's being done properly.

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied
    Ha funny how everyone automatically assumed the agent is trying to pull a scam.

it is sus that they have just out of the blue agree to pay.

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by hobnob View Post

Thinking about what NLUK said, how is this going to work? E.g. will you need to submit a timesheet for those 3 days and get the client to approve it?
    Good luck, if this end-client is the well known Hispanic banking monolith: TINSTAAFL.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Last week I had a catch up call with the agency, and they've agreed to paying me for these days but want it spread over the next few months starting with the 3 days in between Christmas and New Year. 👍
    Thinking about what NLUK said, how is this going to work? E.g. will you need to submit a timesheet for those 3 days and get the client to approve it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    A quick update and a surprising outcome.

I did send an email to my agency about billing for the first 9 days. They initially said no so I let it lie until I got my feet under the desk. I didn't really want to rock the boat to be honest.

Last week I had a catch up call with the agency, and they've agreed to paying me for these days but want it spread over the next few months starting with the 3 days in between Christmas and New Year. 👍
    So the agent is ninja billing the client on the sly to get their commission through the back door then. The offshoot is you get paid as well but be under no illusion the agent is only doing this or themselves. I'll bet the client doesn't know. I'd be a tad nervous about this.

Leave a comment:

• heathen666
    replied
    A quick update and a surprising outcome.

I did send an email to my agency about billing for the first 9 days. They initially said no so I let it lie until I got my feet under the desk. I didn't really want to rock the boat to be honest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X