• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does "opting in" to conduct regs turn off clients/agencies?"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Bet you didn't....
    I guess not. Seeing as the client made me use that agency and I'd been with the client for 18 months at that stage, through a different agency, so the opt out wasn't worth the PDF it was on.

I signed it anyway. I only ever try and refuse out of bloody mindedness.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

Depends how hard the agency push.

I had one agency, who when I said I won’t opt out, said fine and sent me an inside ir35 contract… I opted out.
    Bet you didn't....

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by dl8860 View Post
    I opted out for my upcoming role, first contract role for a few years.

Do most people opt out generally?
    Depends how hard the agency push.

I had one agency, who when I said I won’t opt out, said fine and sent me an inside ir35 contract… I opted out.

Leave a comment:

• dl8860
    replied
    I opted out for my upcoming role, first contract role for a few years.

Do most people opt out generally?

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied

Is the reason for opt-outs being done incorrectly almost always due to the opt-out not having been done prior to any introduction between supplier and client?
    Nope, that wasn't it. It was notification of said status to client.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    I've had agents that didn't take me forward because I took issue with being made to opt out. Yes the law says one thing, but their regular working precise (and what they're told to do), says another, and it is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Is the reason for opt-outs being done incorrectly almost always due to the opt-out not having been done prior to any introduction between supplier and client?
    Truth is there is so little case law we simply don't know anything - all BEIS legislation (opt-out, the value of a KID / Key Information Document) seems to fall into the never been tested category as it requires about 14 things to align before a case is created.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Have to ask Andy that one. HOwever, I talked about this with several agencies many years ago, and they were fairly consistent in claiming that the word "introduced" in the Regs meant "when the worker starts work with the rest of the workforce" and not "when the worker becomes known to the hirer/workforce" That in part is understandable in that (a) the people drafting the regs have no clue what they are doing and (b) they used the Office Angels model where it don't matter who turned up in the typing pool on Monday as long as they could type. Our hiring tends to be a little more nuanced...

Just to be safe, I always included an Opting Out letter when the CV went into the agency. No chance of that going wrong, unless, of course, the agency took no notice of it (again I've heard of that happening - "It's not part of our processes, we only use the CV".

Leave a comment:

• dl8860
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post

97%

Although I did fix that when I discovered the lacuna, many firms won't have.

I've been in court where Opt-out was a factor, that said the status was common ground and not challenged.

A company can choose who they deal with, I never used to sweat Opt-in / Out for those contractors truly motivated to maintain the default.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied

And further to that a survey by a senior ex-recruiter who posts on here once in a while discovered that over 90% of their opt outs weren't done correctly, meaning the worker was in. Since he was with one of the bigger agencies, it's likely that ratio is pretty commonplace.

Also, worth remembering there have been zero court cases where the opt out status was relevant. Hence no precedent over any of its provisions...

And also worth remembering, a company is free to deal with whoever it wants to, under whatever conditions.

From which you might conclude that it makes no difference at all to the engagement.
    97%

Although I did fix that when I discovered the lacuna, many firms won't have.

I've been in court where Opt-out was a factor, that said the status was common ground and not challenged.

A company can choose who they deal with, I never used to sweat Opt-in / Out for those contractors truly motivated to maintain the default.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

not really, it's normal practice to have a chat with the contractor and send on the CV to the client. If the contractor isn't up to the job he's sacked and they don't pay up.
    You don't say...

Well I don't. Mostly they don't even bother with the chat, just bung in the CV and let the client decide.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

You have to say, all of that list is something that a good, honest agency would be doing anyway, regards of the Regs. It certainly describes the service they are selling to their clients...
    not really, it's normal practice to have a chat with the contractor and send on the CV to the client. If the contractor isn't up to the job he's sacked and they don't pay up.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

You have to say, all of that list is something that a good, honest agency would be doing anyway, regards of the Regs. It certainly describes the service they are selling to their clients...
    yes. That's what I thought. Although no client, agency or employer, has ever checked my qualifications.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    [/URL]

It seems to me that the agency is taking its obligations quite seriously and is simply creating the necessary paperwork.
    I don't think so. He specifically mentions personal circumstances. This tied with delays to start sounds more like them worried he's gonna take somehting else before this starts.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

This:

https://www.contractorcalculator.co.uk/conduct_of_employment_regulations_opt_in_opt_out.a spx

It seems to me that the agency is taking its obligations quite seriously and is simply creating the necessary paperwork.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X