• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why do recruiters ask for your rate?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Hang on NLUK - dont you love me anymore? you haven't been condescending to me for weeks? Have you found someone else?
    Only a matter of time before you post something ill researched and downright stupid at which point normal service will resume.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Hang on NLUK - dont you love me anymore? you haven't been condescending to me for weeks? Have you found someone else?
    You haven't been posting any drivel for a while, give it time

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post

NLUK always got too many opinions on every post

Find it hard to believe that any serious contractor has time to post 49000 posts on these forums - most of them condescending to the OP

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post

I searched. Question wasn't about how to negotiate rate. Question was asking why recruiters say one thing in their ads then another think on the phone. Do they get something out of it if I accept a lower rate? I assumed they always took a percentage on top of the rate, not a fixed fee made higher by my lower rate?

and yes, it's a nice rate, thanks for the compliment.
    (Advert says £800)
    Hi Mr contractor what rate?
    Ohh £500
    Hi Mr client, we've got someone who'll do it for £800.

Agency charges £800 plus whatever on top to client. Agency pays contractor £500 he asked for.
    Agency (and agents who probably gets huge commision) pockets the extra £300. They're VERY happy!!!

Didn't you ever see the "day before contract, client has budget problems and has had to drop the rate by £50" scam?
    i.e. same. The client didn't drop the rate at all - the agent just puts the £50 in his pocket.

One gig I had spoke to a contractor started same day as me. His first gig. They did it to me. I was at same agency (I'd worked with them a few times) but they didnt try it with me. Didn't know whether to tell him or not that he'd been scammed.

This particular agent I worked with a few times. Fair play he had some balls and confidence in his ability to talk his way out of things. Like this - surely he knew there was a risk he'd get found out? Although he did the same to the client - led them to believe contractors were on a fixed margin (we weren't it turned out and it all kicked off). Managed to talk his way out of it. Total crook but fair play he must have made some extra dosh along the way...

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Post is just an excuse to wave his rate around IMO.

If he was genuinely confused they'd have done a search and read the many threads we've already got on this topic.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=recr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    NLUK always got too many opinions on every post

Find it hard to believe that any serious contractor has time to post 49000 posts on these forums - most of them condescending to the OP

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

wet
    adjective
    1. 1.
      covered or saturated with water or another liquid.

so it could be wet water as it has another liquid added, like oil....

/pedant
    It's a yes and no answer

https://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=6097

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Water is not wet - it makes things wet
    wet
    adjective
    1. 1.
      covered or saturated with water or another liquid.

so it could be wet water as it has another liquid added, like oil....

/pedant

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Do you also want to know why water is wet and fire is hot?
    Water is not wet - it makes things wet

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

Liar, bell end and misogynist.

see ya…
    What happened here!?!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Is this person actually a recruiter not a technical architect trying to jive-talk us?

Leave a comment:

• ensignia
    replied
    This guy is a total bell, but he does have a point about miserable jaded old men...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect

Final update, I was offered the top rate for the role. Client liked me, said I was the only person they interviewed that blank blank blank (you don't get to know).. Client didn't wanna touch contractor number 2. Recruiter was annoyed but f-him. I'm not quite the commodity that you lot are so I'm in demand and he knows that now.

I turned it down because they said I have to use their laptop. Unlike many here, I'm not so desperate to the point I have to accept anything I don't like. 700 - 1000 / day rates come easily for someone with my experience.

Fat war chest, deeply technical with very strong commercial and consulting skills. I'm a fooo0kin unicorn compared to most of you commodities that have only got one skill and F-all international market experience.

Peace out. Enjoy bullying the next newcomer.

I appreciate this post will get snarky replies from people that have to work inside Ir35 or take hilarious rates in the £500 range. As you laugh at my departure, look at the lack of stamps in your passport then go back to your 1998 PHP forum with total morons and jaded old men.

Only decent one here is that blonde milf with the profile pic - Bye
    Liar, bell end and misogynist.

see ya…

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Agreed, it's not good for me.

I'll leave now.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	goodbye.gif
Views:	332
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	4221037

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.3 KB ID:	4221029
    qh

Leave a comment:

• AreYouGoingToWorkToday
    replied

Agreed, it's not good for me.

I'll leave now.
    Great way to start my weekend, reading this thread! Should be in Light Relief section!

Leave a comment:

• Noiro
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    To hook you in. It's like a car advert where the model in the ad has every conceivable optional extra fitted.
    Or my personal favourite - the car ad with the small print "Model shown not available in UK market". Yeah. Thanks for that!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X