• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting at Nationwide"

Collapse

• Guy Incognito
    replied
    I am currently providing services to Nationwide. Only been onsite twice since Covid-19. I've had two rate reductions since then.

Most contractors got blanket inside determinations. There is some outsourcing to TCS, Accenture, IBM and Deloitte to varying degrees.

New Chief Exec started this week. Nationwide appoints Debbie Crosbie as first female chief executive.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    It would be useful if we could compile a list of companies that pay decent rates but have low expectations of workers and hold them to very little accountability.
    Not really. It's only people's opinions, it can differ between depts, it will change depending on inside/outside particularly where clients have both, , it will differ depending on what role you do at the client, it will go out of date quickly, it's only useful if there is a position open at that client and so on.

So not really.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    It would be useful if we could compile a list of companies that pay decent rates but have low expectations of workers and hold them to very little accountability.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I was at Nationwide in 2007/8. Worked in some random office attached to a warehouse that shipped out their leaflets and stuff. I wasn't in packing, I was working on a ISO audit and discovered they had recursive nested groups in their AD which was entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

The offices were rather nice back when I was there, canteen half decent too. As I said previously a lot of good quality totty.
    How about the HR department - did they keep a tight reign on sexism and misogyny?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Good place to work, but the staff were rank amateurs. How else would you explain me having to find several hundred virtual C: drives for their PCs because they cba to log changes to the large SAN that held them (along with loads of other important stuff and databases)? Not a problem until it all had to be relocated to a new datacentre...

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    While I was still permanent I had an interview with them for what would have been my first contract in about 2008. Nice office building in memory serves.
    The offices were rather nice back when I was there, canteen half decent too. As I said previously a lot of good quality totty.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    While I was still permanent I had an interview with them for what would have been my first contract in about 2008. Nice office building in memory serves.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post
    while the contractors attend to the not particularly demanding business in hand.
    Would have been the ideal environment for me and the rate wasn't bad either (I dug up the email and they were offering 600 per day inside ir35).

Too bad I was looking for permanent employment back then.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post

That is interesting indeed - it seems the legacy of Phil Williamson continues and the permies are spending all their time sitting on their ample rear ends in "Chill 24" while the contractors attend to the not particularly demanding business in hand.

So, is AMS Alexander Mann Solutions?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Invasion-Of-The-Body-Snatchers-Horse-Cropped.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	4220508

Leave a comment:

• Guy At Charnock Richard
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

This is a very interesting perspective and goes well with something that happened to me last year.

I applied for a permanent role via a recruitment agency (AMS). I really liked their remote first working policy and NW was on my list of companies I wanted to work with.

All well, I did the 2 interviews and I highlighted my career aspirations and how I wanted to work hard and climb the career ladder (coming from contracting, I thought that would be a good way of reassuring them I wouldn't leave them after 6 months).

I got rejected for the permie role. The agent said he wasn't 100% sure about it but he felt that NW rejected me because I was too enthusiastic and too focused on career progress rather than do as I'm told and do my day-to-day job. He then said that NW wanted to ask me if I would consider contracting with them instead.

So yeah, maybe it is true. Contractors do all the work while permies only want to sit on their golden chairs without other over enthusiastic permies threatening them. Interesting.
    That is interesting indeed - it seems the legacy of Phil Williamson continues and the permies are spending all their time sitting on their ample rear ends in "Chill 24" while the contractors attend to the not particularly demanding business in hand.

So, is AMS Alexander Mann Solutions?

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by A Tablecloth View Post

I don't think you understand the dynamic at NW. It's the contractors that do the work while the permies do very little from what I saw.

This is a very interesting perspective and goes well with something that happened to me last year.

I applied for a permanent role via a recruitment agency (AMS). I really liked their remote first working policy and NW was on my list of companies I wanted to work with.

All well, I did the 2 interviews and I highlighted my career aspirations and how I wanted to work hard and climb the career ladder (coming from contracting, I thought that would be a good way of reassuring them I wouldn't leave them after 6 months).

I got rejected for the permie role. The agent said he wasn't 100% sure about it but he felt that NW rejected me because I was too enthusiastic and too focused on career progress rather than do as I'm told and do my day-to-day job. He then said that NW wanted to ask me if I would consider contracting with them instead.

So yeah, maybe it is true. Contractors do all the work while permies only want to sit on their golden chairs without other over enthusiastic permies threatening them. Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I would advise him to stay out of Professional if he want his sockies to last more than a few posts.
    Just get rid of it. It will get a ban very shortly anyway so just pull the plug now. No one wants it around whatever area of the forum.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I would advise him to stay out of Professional if he want his sockies to last more than a few posts.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Well, as noted here if you want to be pedantic
    Did you flag it at the time?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X