• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Aspiring Business Analyst"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

In which part of a global pandemic just after parting ways with our biggest trading partner and the introduction of legislation that has decimated the contracting market did that happen?

What you're saying is true just a few years ago, but things are different now.
    Indeed. I also don't think some story about a stroke of luck from someone with a solid skill base and twice as many years in the job is really useful to the OP in anyway shape or form either.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I'm doing all kinds of crazy work I never *set out to do* because one client gave me a go when I knew (comparably) nothing.
    In which part of a global pandemic just after parting ways with our biggest trading partner and the introduction of legislation that has decimated the contracting market did that happen?

What you're saying is true just a few years ago, but things are different now.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    As for the old being a generalist is a bad thing chestnut, I have never had two consecutive contracts in the same sector.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    All you need is for one client to give you a go. Don't rule yourself out before they've had the opportunity as you'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

I'm doing all kinds of crazy work I never *set out to do* because one client gave me a go when I knew (comparably) nothing.

Success doesn't like company on here - don't let that put you off.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Not really - in a lot of places there are so many MBAs having one means absolutely nothing.

MBAs are something companies can spend their apprenticeship allowance on so they do..
    You are right in that respect but I did most of an MBA via the Open University and what it taught me helped me more over my career than any other course/qualification did. Some people seem to have a nack of understanding situations and coming up with solutions that are very similar to the frameworks taught but I didn't so it was invaluable. Dealing with change, conflict, motivation and understanding roles and people etc have become second nature where I would have struggled in the past. Without it I would have dealt with it in a fairly blinkered approach instead of knowing the options the frameworks offered. A very simple example is when people think money is the main motivator when it can be quite the opposite.

I'd say it's worthwhile for the knowledge if not the qualification but it's bloody expensive to do yourself.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by baen View Post
    A business degree such as an MBA will open doors and has a longer shelf life compared to certificates. There are plenty of part time options, e.g. lbs, chicago booth, ou, etc.
    Not really - in a lot of places there are so many MBAs having one means absolutely nothing.

MBAs are something companies can spend their apprenticeship allowance on so they do..

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mbolton View Post

Already tried that, they won't pay anything for a £200 exam in my department for some reason let alone the full course
    So escalate directly to HR and double your efforts looking for a new job.

Leave a comment:

• mbolton
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Perm jobs are different to contract jobs. There isn't as much focus on your existing skills as they'll be looking at you as a person becoming an asset to the company longer term. Something that isn't a factor in contract gigs. You applying for jobs because you want to expand will stand you in just as good as stead as certs and experience.

Nothing wrong with identifying some courses now and putting it to your existing employer as part of your review though. Doesn't have to be at your yearly review either. Speak to HR or others that have done the courses, go get all the information, costs dates and put it to your manager to sign off. Don't leave him with a decision or work to do. You might get lucky and get them to pay you on a few of the basic ones before you leave. Prince2, ITIL foundation etc are only a few days and cheap.

If you know your time there is done then might be worth complaining to HR that your development as been stunted by your manager. It would be a really crappy company that would do nothing about it until you leave. Hopefully they'll sit up and take some notice like any other supplier does when a customer is looking to leave. That's the theory anyway. If you are done there then try making some noise.
    Already tried that, they won't pay anything for a £200 exam in my department for some reason let alone the full course

Leave a comment:

• baen
    replied
    A business degree such as an MBA will open doors and has a longer shelf life compared to certificates. There are plenty of part time options, e.g. lbs, chicago booth, ou, etc.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Perm jobs are different to contract jobs. There isn't as much focus on your existing skills as they'll be looking at you as a person becoming an asset to the company longer term. Something that isn't a factor in contract gigs. You applying for jobs because you want to expand will stand you in just as good as stead as certs and experience.

Nothing wrong with identifying some courses now and putting it to your existing employer as part of your review though. Doesn't have to be at your yearly review either. Speak to HR or others that have done the courses, go get all the information, costs dates and put it to your manager to sign off. Don't leave him with a decision or work to do. You might get lucky and get them to pay you on a few of the basic ones before you leave. Prince2, ITIL foundation etc are only a few days and cheap.

If you know your time there is done then might be worth complaining to HR that your development as been stunted by your manager. It would be a really crappy company that would do nothing about it until you leave. Hopefully they'll sit up and take some notice like any other supplier does when a customer is looking to leave. That's the theory anyway. If you are done there then try making some noise... and when you get what you want leave anyway.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 March 2021, 12:30.

Leave a comment:

• mbolton
    replied

It's not really the start of the problem. It's the crux of it. You've got fours years experience of 50:50 skills. So absolutely no solid grounding to be able to nail a gig and beat the next guy who will have at least twice in a single area. A quick glance at your CV you'll look like a beginner generalist. No good at all for contracting.

You've mentioned you aren't being listened to at your current place so it's time to leave. You need to get a new job that's in a specific area at a place you aren't just seen as the apprentice/drone and given any old work to do. Getting a job where your role is (for example) business BA then that's the work you'll be given to do and hopefully have enough respect to be left to it and grow. Sounds like staying at your current place you aren't respected or recognised as a BA and will just continue to meander aimlessly.
    I am aware that is the crux of it hence my original question of what steps to take to get to experienced BA capable of going into contracting.

I am trying to get a new job but am struggling hence me asking if courses etc would help me get my next role and work on improving all the things mentioned in the thread. That last sentence is unbelievably accurate.

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post

Harsh, but absolutely true. Although I think the OP recognises the shortcomings of his situation, hence his original query.

To the OP: reading up on stuff like Lean, BPMN etc. is all well & good, but to provide these types of services through contracting, you need depth of application & experience. In short, my advice would be: decide on the direction you wish to go, do some formal training, get a new job which offers you the opportunity to develop & use the new skills, build your experience levels, & when you feel competent & confident enough, then consider contracting.

You've a few years to go yet before you get to that stage imho though, but at least this thread has provided you with some good pointers..
    As above I am trying to find the new job/next step but struggling to get these. I think I might need to rush through some formal training to make my CV more appealing and secure this new job

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post

Harsh, but absolutely true. Although I think the OP recognises the shortcomings of his situation, hence his original query.

To the OP: reading up on stuff like Lean, BPMN etc. is all well & good, but to provide these types of services through contracting, you need depth of application & experience. In short, my advice would be: decide on the direction you wish to go, do some formal training, get a new job which offers you the opportunity to develop & use the new skills, build your experience levels, & when you feel competent & confident enough, then consider contracting.

You've a few years to go yet before you get to that stage imho though, but at least this thread has provided you with some good pointers..
    Ughhh. Sorry, wasn't trying to be harsh. Just trying to make a very clear point. This is the second thread from the OP on the topic, both ran on and on and I've been speaking to the OP in PM as well and it always comes down to exactly the same point. Nothing has changed.

Just trying to put a clear picture with a concrete solution rather than 6 pages here, long PM, however many pages on the other thread when the solution is clear and hasn't changed.

As you know I don't do cotton wool, there is a problem and there is a solution. Sometimes it's just black and white to me so sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied

It's not really the start of the problem. It's the crux of it. You've got fours years experience of 50:50 skills. So absolutely no solid grounding to be able to nail a gig and beat the next guy who will have at least twice in a single area. A quick glance at your CV you'll look like a beginner generalist. No good at all for contracting.

You've mentioned you aren't being listened to at your current place so it's time to leave. You need to get a new job that's in a specific area at a place you aren't just seen as the apprentice/drone and given any old work to do. Getting a job where your role is (for example) business BA then that's the work you'll be given to do and hopefully have enough respect to be left to it and grow. Sounds like staying at your current place you aren't respected or recognised as a BA and will just continue to meander aimlessly.

Last edited by SteelyDan; 9 March 2021, 11:43.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Crikey. Remind me to never show you my CV...
    I've seen it, top right draw of your sideboard under the Christmas cards you've tippex'd out so you can send them again next year. Bit hard to read in the dark though.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Crikey. Remind me to never show you my CV...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X