• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract Terminated Before Start Date"

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Only 1786 to go.. Hurry up.
    I see arithmetic isn't your strong point and would suggest asking your accountant before attempting to post anything similar in future.

1786 to go now, but waaaaaay behind you.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And could you do 1038 of Sime's posts while you are at it.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Hopkins View Post
    Hi,

I have a signed contract with my client using the Direct with end client contract template. 2 days prior to commencement of that contract they have told me that they no longer want me to start with them. The contract states a 4 week notice period both ways. Can I enforce this even though I haven't started with them and if so how?

Thanks in advance!
    As all others have said, plus, what is also said elsewhere is, 'Keep applying until the day your feet are under the table.' Even if the table only happens to be your kitchen table in these rarefied times.

Indeed, keep applying until after the first week. One never knows the fickle minds of those hiring. Case in point, I was terminated four days in to a contract, because they decided after all, a lesser day rate and going Inside was actually the right way, according to their latest thinking.

Don't burn bridges, chin up.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Deleted

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Deleted
    Last edited by Paralytic; 26 January 2021, 10:00.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    What part of the word Ask did you not quite understand.

Chances are it won't get anywhere at all but you never know - a company may pay money to keep the business relationship going (I've seen it go both ways) and if nothing else simply phoning up to discuss it may allow you to find out what has changed that resulted in the project being cancelled.
    don't get yer knickers in a twist.

I wasn't disagreeing, just adding a thought around contracts being written/altered to meet expectations of one or both parties.
    If you want to be definitely paid for early termination, then get it added into the contract. As a fixed sum not time and materials.

And yes. Many companies will pay a notice period, although in this case, when terminated prior to commencement I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    If of course the contract had been altered to include a fee for termination of the contract then something could potentially be claimed.

This is not uncommon in some business areas, although I doubt if a contract savvy client would agree to it.
    And even if you had a client that didn't read it, they would be mightily aggrieved if anyone tried this on them.
    It's just not good business.
    What part of the word Ask did you not quite understand.

Chances are it won't get anywhere at all but you never know - a company may pay money to keep the business relationship going (I've seen it go both ways) and if nothing else simply phoning up to discuss it may allow you to find out what has changed that resulted in the project being cancelled.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    This part of Clause 15.2 is the important one here

That means that the client isn't required to give you work which means there is zero need for them to pay you.

You could point out that you have turned down over work to ensure this project could start on time and ask for a cancellation fee but the end client is under zero obligation to pay you anything.
    If of course the contract had been altered to include a fee for termination of the contract then something could potentially be claimed.

This is not uncommon in some business areas, although I doubt if a contract savvy client would agree to it.
    And even if you had a client that didn't read it, they would be mightily aggrieved if anyone tried this on them.
    It's just not good business.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    You are lucky they even told you that you weren't needed anymore. Lots of the time you just get ghosted. Move on.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    This part of Clause 15.2 is the important one here

Both parties agree and intend that there be no mutuality of obligations either during or following the agreement, whatsoever.
    That means that the client isn't required to give you work which means there is zero need for them to pay you.

You could point out that you have turned down over work to ensure this project could start on time and ask for a cancellation fee but the end client is under zero obligation to pay you anything.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You could try. They might give something. But legally you don't really have a leg to stand on as they don't have to provide you with work. You'd also burn your bridges and probably never work with them again. If you can demonstrate loss, then you might have a case, but it is marginal.

Welcome to contracting.

Oh, and the question of notice periods is discussed here again and again. Have a search and read other people's experiences.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Hopkins
    started a topic Contract Terminated Before Start Date

Contract Terminated Before Start Date

Hi,

I have a signed contract with my client using the Direct with end client contract template. 2 days prior to commencement of that contract they have told me that they no longer want me to start with them. The contract states a 4 week notice period both ways. Can I enforce this even though I haven't started with them and if so how?

Thanks in advance!

Working...
X