• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Depression diagnosed - do I tell the client?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    If I thought my work was being affected then telling the client makes sense before they realise it's being affected, unless you want to drag it out as far as possible which doesn't sound the most honourable thing.
    You don't need to go into any detail you could simply say "health issues" even.

There is also the aspect that stressing about how your client is going to react to the news or to your quality of work, can itself contribute to your illness. So I'd advise taking that factor into account.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    This. A contractor is not an employee. While there may be some who have good policies for this sort of thing, there are plenty who dont as far as contractors are concerned.

Not being facetious either but anyone liable to depression, being a contractor is one of the worst career choices to make imho.
    The Equality Act and associated case law views contractors as employees for equality purposes in many cases. Enforcement is a different matter.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    This. A contractor is not an employee. While there may be some who have good policies for this sort of thing, there are plenty who dont as far as contractors are concerned.
    Lots of companies/organisations pay lip service to their policies so it doesn't matter what type of worker you are as they will force you out.

Not being facetious either but anyone liable to depression, being a contractor is one of the worst career choices to make imho.
    Agree.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    As someone who battles depression and anxiety (nearly everything makes me anxious, i suffer from generalised anxiety and worry, my username might have hinted at that already) on an ongoing basis i have to agree. Being out of work is bad enough when you don't not have mental health problems, if you suffer from anxiety it is much much worse. The only defence i have found is a very large war chest, and by that i mean several years worth. A normal person might only need a year or two, but i need a lot more to keep my anxiety down.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Putting the cotton wool away for a moment I'd say +1 to this. Maybe not the worst choice but certainly not ideal.

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    If they tell the client be prepared for a period of unemployment!

Leave a comment:

• fatJock
    replied
    I have had a long term relationship with depression with a diagnosis many years ago before I started contracting

I don’t / haven’t disclosed it as I have learned to manage it via medication, right amount of sleep / relaxation and the knowledge that I could have self imposed breaks in between contracts.

I know it’s a different situation for your friend but my change to contracting (and associated feeling of control of my destiny) helped as did an understanding and patient partner.

There are no easy answers but for me I found that continuing to work (at my worst) gave me something to hold on to and distract me. Eventually I got a bit burned out and only a chunk of time off focusing on my own wellness helped me.

Not cured by any stretch but I understand my triggers better. My advice would be to try and push through minimising any impact to work if he can, if not perhaps try to look for a natural break in the gig.

Mental health issues are often misunderstood and loose tongues can be dangerous if people depend on a network for new work.

When all is said and done, life is fleeting and focusing on our own welfare isn’t selfish.

Hope your friend fares well.
    Last edited by fatJock; 15 December 2020, 23:11.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Is this person inside IR35 and if so did the client deem the gig inside IR35? Essentially is there mutuality of obligation?

If it is, the Equality Act comes into play when it comes to discrimination. Even without mutuality of obligation, the Act can come into play if the contractor must deliver the work personally (I interpret that as no right of substitution)
    New case law widens who is or isn’t protected under the Equality Act 2010

Using the Equality Act to protect yourself from discrimination isn’t the easiest, particularly if you’re depressed, but a quiet word in the right ear at Client Co could be helpful if they are acting in a discriminatory way.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    As someone who has suffered multiple health issues while contracting I would say in general say as little as possible to the client UNLESS it is going to cause a H&S issue or similar. Some of my clients know about some of my health issues BUT not all of them, my depression is one is one that is kept under wraps from the client.

If its contracting, the work or the client that is causing the depression then I would say thats another issue.
    If its the client then find another contract if possible. If its the work he is doing or being a contractor then its a bigger fish to fry. This bit is so big. My advice would be to break it down into bite sized chunks and tackle one bit at a time.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Is work contributing to their depression? I suffered it years ago and actually found work a bit of a welcome distraction and offered a bit of structure, although everyone is different.

If they really can't face continuing then that is one thing but if they can it will be one less thing to worry about when the treatment kicks in.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    IMO.. your friend has to focus on the worst reaslistic outcome and see how he would manage that. If he can get through it then anything else upwards of that is manageble and a known quantity. That can help his mental state as he's not worrying about the unknown.

The worst state has to be that he will have his contract cut short. It is, afterall, a business agreement. He provides services for money. He can't provide the services then the money should stop. Very harsh but possible. What does he do in that scenario. Does he have a warchest that can take him through while he get's better? So that's one situation ticked off. If he doesn't then it opens up a new avenue of what he needs to do as quitting is off the table.

What is the size of client, what do they do, is he fully remote. If he has no choice but to stay these factors may make all the difference to whether the client will support him or not. He's 6 months in to bankging gig and has been fully remote? He's gone. He's 2 years in to a Public Sector gig with a close knit performing team that is contractor heavy then he's golden. We just don't know but analyse it all to make the options clearer.

That make sense? Work through the worst case scenario first to find out what the art of the possible is. It will make any decision around does he quit, does he keep quiet till he gets walked, does he tell the client and it could go either way much easier.

Sorry to focus on facts and outcomes but i've found in the past that's what helps me, not hugs and support. If I know what I am doing and where I am going I can manage through much better than it all crashing in on me.

IMO do it early as well. Dunno if it's just me but I find Christmas was the worst time of year when you are feeling out of sorts like this. Having time off would make me worse not better.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 December 2020, 13:35.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Depression diagnosed - do I tell the client?

Depends on the client and relationship and niche skill set

In banking you are just a resource and probably be let go With zero help offered to resolve

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    Depends on how long the contractor has had a relationship with the client and also how strong that relationship is.

A few years hopefully, and also the client sees the contractor as a highly skilled hard worker so not easily replaced.

Been there less than a year or two or are just an average contractor. The client might not be very accommodating.
    are you for real?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Been there many years ago.....

I'd say it depends on a number of things...

How much is it going to affect you?
    or more importantly, how long have you been there and how is your relationship with the client?

I was in the position years ago but I'd been at client 6 months and the team leader was a lovely lady from Finland. To be honest, made me feel better because they were really good about it.

Being positive Id hope MOST people would realise you're human as well and be OK about it. I remember thinking at the time, if they are awkward about it, I'll just work when I'm able and if they terminate me then thats the way its going to have to be.

BTW - I've experienced off and on for over 20 years. I know nearly all the meds because I tried them.,

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Depends on how long the contractor has had a relationship with the client and also how strong that relationship is.

A few years hopefully, and also the client sees the contractor as a highly skilled hard worker so not easily replaced.

Been there less than a year or two or are just an average contractor. The client might not be very accommodating.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 15 December 2020, 12:16.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X