• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Return to IT and contracting?"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    They all use nano, pico or gedit now, these noobs....

Even vim is too new-fangled for me...
    never ever got into nano - for the bits of command line editing I have to do its always vi...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    editing is still a doddle with vi, the OP is still current probably
    They all use nano, pico or gedit now, these noobs....

Even vim is too new-fangled for me...

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Sorry OP. Unix has changed beyond recognition in the 15 years. Why, just this morning I have been using commands like ls, df, grep, awk, bc, cat, find, lvextend, mkdir...
    editing is still a doddle with vi, the OP is still current probably

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    My problem is trying to get a decent C++ compiler on it!!! ARGH!!!
    I have the pukka DVD of xLC 13 if you wanna 'borrow' it like I 'borrowed' it.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    It's the most oddball Unix, if fact it's not really a true Unix where everything is a file, the ODM (registry in Windows-speak) is a database.

Linux bullshiitters always amuse me when dropped onto an AIX terminal, ksh for a start confuses them bashshellers-from-birth, no nsswitch.conf, lovely stuff...
    My problem is trying to get a decent C++ compiler on it!!! ARGH!!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Used waterfall project methodology but found it too lightweight so adopted timberfall methodology.
    Timber is typically less dense than water.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Sorry OP. Unix has changed beyond recognition in the 15 years. Why, just this morning I have been using commands like ls, df, grep, awk, bc, cat, find, lvextend, mkdir...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    AIX is the bane of my life!!!!
    It's the most oddball Unix, if fact it's not really a true Unix where everything is a file, the ODM (registry in Windows-speak) is a database.

Linux bullshiitters always amuse me when dropped onto an AIX terminal, ksh for a start confuses them bashshellers-from-birth, no nsswitch.conf, lovely stuff...

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    AIX, like flared trousers, is coming back!
    AIX is the bane of my life!!!!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    At the risk of being helpful..... If you were doing *IX 15 years ago, you presumably have lots of Solaris. Now that's just gone EOL, there are loads of Solaris -> Linux gigs. Might be worth investigating...
    We're doing Solaris -> AIX for tier 1 stuff, Solaris -> Red Hat for noddy stuff like web serving and other lightweight tasks.

Oracle's silent OEL is a bit odd, we've still got some T5's in bare-metal, their projected workloads now going on POWER.

AIX, like flared trousers, is coming back!

Leave a comment:

• dagonza
    replied
    Dont listen

This is probably the most negative thread that I ever seen. No, ageism is not a problem. Getting to comfy in a skillset is a problem. C++~17 years ago might be a problem but if you were in IT, it might take you 6-12 months to skill up in something relevant and related like golang and nowadays-C++. The majority of my workflow comes from linkedin and I've never meet them in person.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    At the risk of being helpful..... If you were doing *IX 15 years ago, you presumably have lots of Solaris. Now that's just gone EOL, there are loads of Solaris -> Linux gigs. Might be worth investigating...

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Look for lower-paid contracting, £200 ish or lower. Look for things in the provinces away from big cities. Also try people per hour. Try bite consulting, give them a call and see how they can help .

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Used waterfall project methodology but found it too lightweight so adopted timberfall methodology.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Root & branch analysis to problem solving

Leave a comment:

Working...
X