• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Return to IT and contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used waterfall project methodology but found it too lightweight so adopted timberfall methodology.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Look for lower-paid contracting, £200 ish or lower. Look for things in the provinces away from big cities. Also try people per hour. Try bite consulting, give them a call and see how they can help .

Comment

At the risk of being helpful..... If you were doing *IX 15 years ago, you presumably have lots of Solaris. Now that's just gone EOL, there are loads of Solaris -> Linux gigs. Might be worth investigating...
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Dont listen

This is probably the most negative thread that I ever seen. No, ageism is not a problem. Getting to comfy in a skillset is a problem. C++~17 years ago might be a problem but if you were in IT, it might take you 6-12 months to skill up in something relevant and related like golang and nowadays-C++. The majority of my workflow comes from linkedin and I've never meet them in person.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            At the risk of being helpful..... If you were doing *IX 15 years ago, you presumably have lots of Solaris. Now that's just gone EOL, there are loads of Solaris -> Linux gigs. Might be worth investigating...
            We're doing Solaris -> AIX for tier 1 stuff, Solaris -> Red Hat for noddy stuff like web serving and other lightweight tasks.

Oracle's silent OEL is a bit odd, we've still got some T5's in bare-metal, their projected workloads now going on POWER.

AIX, like flared trousers, is coming back!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              AIX, like flared trousers, is coming back!
              AIX is the bane of my life!!!!
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                AIX is the bane of my life!!!!
                It's the most oddball Unix, if fact it's not really a true Unix where everything is a file, the ODM (registry in Windows-speak) is a database.

Linux bullshiitters always amuse me when dropped onto an AIX terminal, ksh for a start confuses them bashshellers-from-birth, no nsswitch.conf, lovely stuff...

Comment

Sorry OP. Unix has changed beyond recognition in the 15 years. Why, just this morning I have been using commands like ls, df, grep, awk, bc, cat, find, lvextend, mkdir...

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Used waterfall project methodology but found it too lightweight so adopted timberfall methodology.
                    Timber is typically less dense than water.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      It's the most oddball Unix, if fact it's not really a true Unix where everything is a file, the ODM (registry in Windows-speak) is a database.

Linux bullshiitters always amuse me when dropped onto an AIX terminal, ksh for a start confuses them bashshellers-from-birth, no nsswitch.conf, lovely stuff...
                      My problem is trying to get a decent C++ compiler on it!!! ARGH!!!
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X