• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to search for remote working contract opportunites?"

Collapse

• TheBA
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Untrue.
    Some companies may prefer you in the office.
    Some companies are happy for you to work from home. Some actually encourage it.
    So true, there's also the official policy vs unofficial policy to consider. My client's (UK bank) general policy is 1 day but this week is have been told unofficially it's don't take the pee. Show your face every so often but wfh if it's appropriate

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I've seen a few ads recently for remote working gigs.

Currently WFH but that was because I was working for someone that shutdown the office to save costs. Once in the past I had a long term gig where after 6 months I was able to negotiate the renewal with two days a week at home and I also worked for a startup that was WFH because nobody has sorted out an office yet.

So it can be done

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Untrue.
    Indeed but it's still very heavily weighed towards being in the office for now.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    ... companies will always prefer you in the office so there has to be some incentive to them to let you do it. It's nicer to walk up to someone than to call them over the phone faceless.....
    Untrue.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    Yes, of course clients will try this. It's all part of the negotiation, but I think too many contractors start off with a lower rate for WFH

is what I really meant
    So would I. A 25% cut for £0 cost of commuting, 0 hours lost of my life stuck in a car or on a train. I'd be happy with that, can't expect it both ways . Depends what you do I suppose but companies will always prefer you in the office so there has to be some incentive to them to let you do it. It's nicer to walk up to someone than to call them over the phone faceless.....

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    It is because customers realise that the cost of commuting to the workplace, which can sometimes be quite substantial, is part of the rate. No commute = no expenses for that so more room to negotiate.

The end result obviously carries the same value, but the customer realise that the rate is not only about value delivered, but also about costs to deliver the service.
    Yes, of course clients will try this. It's all part of the negotiation, but I think too many contractors start off with a lower rate for WFH

is what I really meant

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    Yes, I don't really understand the mentality of reducing rate for WFH. The end product has the same value to the client irrespective of where it was developed. If anything, it's saving the client money on desk space etc so they ought to pay more!!
    It is because customers realise that the cost of commuting to the workplace, which can sometimes be quite substantial, is part of the rate. No commute = no expenses for that so more room to negotiate.

The end result obviously carries the same value, but the customer realise that the rate is not only about value delivered, but also about costs to deliver the service.

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Just about to hopefully quote for some, won't be for 30% less though (in UK).
    Yes, I don't really understand the mentality of reducing rate for WFH. The end product has the same value to the client irrespective of where it was developed. If anything, it's saving the client money on desk space etc so they ought to pay more!!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I've worked purely remotely for one client (apart from a couple of end customer meetings).

There's nothing cut and dried about this situation; it's very much case by case. Even within a skillset, or a client for that matter, it can vary from project to project. If your end customer is in a different country, they won't care if you're doing a demo from the office or home. If they're upstairs, they'd rather you were in the same office (as face-to-face meetings have proven to be more effective).

I always assume that there's no WFH unless stated and anything else is a bonus. If it's a reasonable daily commute, I wouldn't really care either.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Quite common to find such opportunities in Germany, but the hirers expect a ~30% rate cut for those working remotely.

A typical rate for an onsite software engineer is €77-80, depending on where the client is.
    Just about to hopefully quote for some, won't be for 30% less though (in UK).

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    Has anyone found a decent recipe for searching the popular job bulletin boards for remote work jobs?

JobServe and JobSite tend to be location biased and fiddly to operate.

Ideas welcomed
    Quite common to find such opportunities in Germany, but the hirers expect a ~30% rate cut for those working remotely.

A typical rate for an onsite software engineer is €77-80, depending on where the client is.

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    In the Jobserve you can put in the Keywork section the word remote, probably you can find it.
    Does not work. No idea, how you managed to get the search working.

I put remote in the search box for "keyword"
    I also ensured "location" was blank.

583 job supposedly. However, looking at the first 20 no mention of "remote working" or "working from home".

Sadly, Jobserve and Jobsite are designed for geographic searches. Are there alternative job bulletin boards for this sort of thing?

Leave a comment:

• TheBA
    replied
    WFH is probably one for the interview. You can ask the agent about the working arrangements, travel/WFH that sort of thing but they probably won't know and they're not going to be subtle about how they ask the client. Find out about the existing working practices, where the people your interacting with are based in the interview and then if it sounds favourable ask the question.

WFH is becoming far more prevalent across lots of sectors, especially for people working in change management. Everywhere I have worked has had a 'Agile working' strategy so I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Little bit disingenuous there.
    As you are well aware, obviously, you got an infraction for the acronym. Not for the opinion.
    If it makes you feel any happier, you weren't the only one infracted over this
    Not really as I stated that I thought that was the reason in my post. I didn't know an acronym could be considered an infraction.

As for some of your previous moderations, against me being a bit Iffy, I stand by that.

As I said, no sweat, let's leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Wrong enough for an infraction, unfortunately, still not the first time NATs moderation has been "well suspect", as they used to say in Essex
    Little bit disingenuous there.
    Indeed. I used the true acronym
    As you are well aware, obviously, you got an infraction for the acronym. Not for the opinion. If it makes you feel any happier, you weren't the only one infracted over this

Leave a comment:

Working...
X