• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    A week after the election and zero bounce on Jobserve.

When interest rates were near zero 3 years ago, I though 5%+ interest rates would kill the economy in general.

The only thing that seems to have been killed are large chunks of the IT jobs market.

Which other job markets (i mean outside of IT) are having a equally bad or worse time than us?
    I wouldn’t expect the election to have any noticeable positive/negative impact on the job market. The results have been priced in for a long time now and the overarching theme has been no-change, no surprises. A few sectors might be impacted by new policies (eg: favourable to the UK green sector, adverse to the UK oil & gas sector) but it's not going to create any major sudden movements either way.

If (and it’s a big if) the new govt manages to settle in and offer a realistic prospect of 5 years of stability in major policies, then that might be one small factor that is favourable. But again, there are many more as important (if not more!) factors in the background that will contribute to what happens.

As per ONS time series data on job vacancies (I’ve taken ‘Information and communications’) as the closest IT equivalent -

Major sectors doing materially better - public admin, defence, scientific, health & social

Major sectors doing similar - Finance and insurance, arts, education, manufacturing, transport & storage

Major sectors doing much worse - retail, wholesale, motor related
    Last edited by sreed; Today, 07:28.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Market not looking great for UX/UI Design roles so it's a good thing my contract has been extended until the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    A week after the election and zero bounce on Jobserve.

When interest rates were near zero 3 years ago, I though 5%+ interest rates would kill the economy in general.

The only thing that seems to have been killed are large chunks of the IT jobs market.

Which other job markets (i mean outside of IT) are having a equally bad or worse time than us?

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Another week and I could say another week to being no nearer to getting a contract but as the last couple of contracts I got came out of the blue I am not sure you can say that anymore.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Cheapstakes will always be cheapstakes and see what they can get away with.

Problem is £550 inside is still a £150,000 or so yearly cost so I can see why they think it's a great deal..
    The thing is, is this is what most offer, this becomes the market rate. Who cares what used to be paid 5-10yrs ago.

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    Highest rate I ever had was 550, normal is 400-430, in this market I would go lower. Always outside. I'm a developer/architect/anytitleyoulike although I very experienced, yet since nobody can even remotely measure or identify good developers it is difficult to stand out.

No bugatti or harem

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Wow, you need 20 years experience over three very different sectors all for £550, inside?? What is the world coming to?
    There’s no way they’re getting someone with that breadth of skill set and experience for that rate. We have an equivalent one-man band consultant SA on my project and he charges £1,500 a day though it’s only 3 days a week Tue-Thu.

I can only imagine that the recruiter just wants to throttle the number of applications they get. Either that, or they’ve vastly oversold themselves to the client!

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Problem is £550 inside is still a £150,000 or so yearly cost so I can see why they think it's a great deal..
    For a PAYE rate it's ok, if it's Umbrella it's not great

it's still well over 100k, and miles over what most people can dream of, I feel like everyone here lives in Mayfair, drives a Bugatti and has 15 high maintenance wenches
    Last edited by hungry_hog; Yesterday, 09:18.

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    1800 Indians turn up for 10 positions in person back home in Gujarat, chaos ensues.

I think some UK companies still occasionally do open interview days for perm roles, no idea what the turnout for those would be in this market.

Wow. That is crazy. Instantly rules out women I guess.

And this is the country Sunak wanted to do a trade-for-visas deal with! Thank **** that never came to pass.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Wow, you need 20 years experience over three very different sectors all for £550, inside?? What is the world coming to?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Most of those SBA’s have retired and are doing other things these days.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Role: Business Architect / Senior Business Analyst

Duration: 6 Months

Day rate: £550 inside IR35

Role Description:

Our client needs a professionally qualified Senior Business Analyst & Business Architect with over 20 years of experience in enabling change and realizing value across the Financial Services, Healthcare, and Energy sectors. The ideal candidate will possess proven analytical methods, techniques, and creative problem-solving skills and will be comfortable in both business and technical roles, able to perform strategic/enterprise analysis as well as detailed analysis and design.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    1800 Indians turn up for 10 positions in person back home in Gujarat, chaos ensues.

I think some UK companies still occasionally do open interview days for perm roles, no idea what the turnout for those would be in this market.

Last edited by cojak; Yesterday, 08:28. Reason: Removed racist term.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Got an extension till end of the year, which was a fairly big plot twist, still that doesn't resolve much as I want to go perm, but there's a hiring freeze currently, so lets see.

Market wise, contract at least, it's dead for me, no upticks, no movement. Perm is a bit different, seems to be a fair bit of job ads, but mostly low paid, with tulip ton of travel.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    Marketing has improved a little. But nothing to get too excited about yet. I have managed to land a new contract, had only one week out. Goal is still to go permie but have got nowhere with that. Hoping I get the chance to convert to permie with new client if all goes well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X