• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

Fair enough
    Agree contract market not looking great. I'm getting hits for (poorly paid) perm roles and very little contract.

Out of interest looked at perm roles for BAs in the City based London BB (bulge bracket)

GS - none (no surprise!)
    BAML - none
    UBS - numerous
    DB - handful

The fact that two massive American banks have no BA roles in London seems a huge alarm bell
    Are you looking on the company websites or elsewhere?

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

I have contributed companies myself to that thread but in 2023 there is nothing wrong with asking a few questions before you hang up the phone.

Market looks very weak right now, you are doing well to find a good role in this market.
    Fair enough
    Agree contract market not looking great. I'm getting hits for (poorly paid) perm roles and very little contract.

Out of interest looked at perm roles for BAs in the City based London BB (bulge bracket)

GS - none (no surprise!)
    BAML - none
    UBS - numerous
    DB - handful

The fact that two massive American banks have no BA roles in London seems a huge alarm bell
    Last edited by hungry_hog; Yesterday, 22:48.

Leave a comment:

• andromedan
    replied

market looks shocking right now but please post updates in this thread
    What's shocking about it?

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    I've had a sudden rush of agents calling me since just before xmas, not sure what has triggered that though. Thankfully I don't have to rely on agents too much as my new gig will be the sixth in a row that has been through my network or referrals, and the last two have been direct with the client.

Finished a gig yesterday and starting a new one next week after a five minute chat with a CIO friend who asked me to come work for her. I had a lean period in late 2020 and into 2021 but ever since then, I've been very busy thankfully.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
    Finished previous contract tail end of last year, It's been quiet but just about got the next out the door with a look to start late this week / early next
    market looks shocking right now but please post updates in this thread

Leave a comment:

• ResistanceFighter
    replied
    Finished previous contract tail end of last year, It's been quiet but just about got the next out the door with a look to start late this week / early next

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I have had three calls today for new roles that have opened up at the banks.

Leave a comment:

• The Green View
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Whats your skillset if you don't mind me asking ?
    Primarily front end dev (various js frameworks) but bigging up my .net experience so far has had little success other than angling calls from Opus/Rocsearch/Nigel Frank et al

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Whats your skillset if you don't mind me asking ?

Leave a comment:

• The Green View
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Got the paperwork for a new contract on it's way, which is about the third time in four years I have been out of contract on the run up to Christmas and the market to be dead for it to be resolved in January.
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Nothing is simple...

The contract I was offered over new year is nearly signed but not quite yet... (inside £600 per day - fully remote - challenging interesting work)

Meanwhile I interviewed on Friday for an easy, boring contract which I was offered today... (outside - 1 day week onsite - £475 - boring easy work)

So two offers on the table.

I think the inside offer is the best one but its a ball-ache to get the legals finalised for various reasons - should finally tie up the last bits by lunchtime Tuesday. Meanwhile had to tell the other gig I was just finishing off the legals on another offer. Agent was gutted but I said if you give me 24 hours If I don't agree the legals on this one I will go for his offer - he said the client will probably be fine with that as they want me (If its not sorted by tomoz I am wondering if it ever will be) ...

So given agent 1 the hurry up - if he doesn't finally get everything sorted tomoz I am going with offer 2...

Nice problems to have I suppose...
    May be a bit premature but congratulations.

I haven't even had a single interview in 4+ months so you're doing well. Hope it all gets wrapped up successfully.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Nothing is simple...

The contract I was offered over new year is nearly signed but not quite yet... (inside £600 per day - fully remote - challenging interesting work)

Meanwhile I interviewed on Friday for an easy, boring contract which I was offered today... (outside - 1 day week onsite - £475 - boring easy work)

So two offers on the table.

I think the inside offer is the best one but its a ball-ache to get the legals finalised for various reasons - should finally tie up the last bits by lunchtime Tuesday. Meanwhile had to tell the other gig I was just finishing off the legals on another offer. Agent was gutted but I said if you give me 24 hours If I don't agree the legals on this one I will go for his offer - he said the client will probably be fine with that as they want me (If its not sorted by tomoz I am wondering if it ever will be) ...

So given agent 1 the hurry up - if he doesn't finally get everything sorted tomoz I am going with offer 2...

Nice problems to have I suppose...
    Last edited by dx4100; 30 January 2023, 21:51.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

You could just talk to a pigeon instead, be just as productive
    I have contributed companies myself to that thread but in 2023 there is nothing wrong with asking a few questions before you hang up the phone.

Market looks very weak right now, you are doing well to find a good role in this market.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Got the paperwork for a new contract on it's way, which is about the third time in four years I have been out of contract on the run up to Christmas and the market to be dead for it to be resolved in January.

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied

Outside of Banking, some of these guys are now armed with big budgets for inside roles. Make sure you validate that before you close the call without talking.

University of Cambridge
    Contracting tripos, Part 1A

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...in-the-uk.html

You could just talk to a pigeon instead, be just as productive

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

The stock market did crash during covid but quickly recovered after central bank and government interventions. So it was quite logical.

The IT job market did the same thing.

Although the FTSE 100 held up well last year, the FTSE 250 was down 20%. So I guess we are currently feeling the effects of that.
    Key thing to remember with the UK stock market is the FTSE100 is mostly comprised of global companies that make something like 70-80% of their money outside the UK so are insulated to a certain extent from a UK recession. Think oil & gas, miners, banks, pharmaceuticals. Those alone are 13 of the top 20 biggest firms.

Conversely, the FTSE250 is very UK economy focused, lots of retailers, property companies, housebuilders and others that are sensitive to consumer spending and often quite cyclical. I imagine FTSE250 firms will be more likely to be cutting back on hiring this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X