• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Why not? I've just explained two real life situations that I've witnessed and puts the agencies commission at risk. Agencies treat us like crap at times so what do you think they are willing to do to each other

Dunno why you've brought the client in to it though? it's a conversation between you and agent. Did one agent tell you the client won't let them tell you? In which case they are lying and the real reasons are the ones I've already mentioned.
    It also depends on the industry / skill set you are in. For years many clients would refuse to reveal who they were because of the behaviour of 1 particular agency in the sector and when you witnessed that agency in action you could fully understand the client's view...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

I think the more likely scenario is that the client is overestimating how much anyone cares about whether they're recruiting or not, and the agency doesn't want people to know who/what they're recruiting for. But as it only ever stays between me and the agency anyway (like I'd want to talk about the world's most boring profession on my evening and weekends) I just don't get it
    Why not? I've just explained two real life situations that I've witnessed and puts the agencies commission at risk. Agencies treat us like crap at times so what do you think they are willing to do to each other

Dunno why you've brought the client in to it though? it's a conversation between you and agent. Did one agent tell you the client won't let them tell you? In which case they are lying and the real reasons are the ones I've already mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I think there's only been a couple of occasions where an agent has refused to tell me who the client is. I just say that they run the risk of wasting both our time if it's a client I wouldn't want to work with.

Often they'll forward the job spec and forget to remove the metadata and I work it out that way. Or the spec will contain key words that give it away.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Because agents ring other agents pretending to be a contractor, find who the client is and then try and get in with them to represent the role. I know it happens for a fact.

The other scenario is you find who the client is then go find your favourite agent that will put you forward with a much lower cust.
    I think the more likely scenario is that the client is overestimating how much anyone cares about whether they're recruiting or not, and the agency doesn't want people to know who/what they're recruiting for. But as it only ever stays between me and the agency anyway (like I'd want to talk about the world's most boring profession on my evening and weekends) I just don't get it

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    "There's a role with a really great client at the moment with a great agency, are you interested?"

"I don't know, who's it with?"

"I can't tell you until you sign the forms, I can usually tell if people are interested a not and with you... well, are you interested?"

"Still can't tell you, sorry"

Why do people act so secretively about contract roles that even I don't give a tulip about when applying for them? Who do they think I'm going to tell?

Agents: there's no point asking me about the minutiae of my experience and what I was being paid if we can't have a grown up conversation about what you've got on offer. I'm not interested in what's inside the mystery box - just tell me.
    Because agents ring other agents pretending to be a contractor, find who the client is and then try and get in with them to represent the role. I know it happens for a fact.

The other scenario is you find who the client is then go find your favourite agent that will put you forward with a much lower cust.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    After paying around during the pandemic with a couple of start ups which did nothing more than pay bills (not a bad thing) I am back on the bench today and looking for a contract. Still got a plan B going but its run out of money so back to contracting we go.

Excited to be back lol
    Snap - but not exactly excited more resigned to it unless I find something interesting (because today's interview really wasn't interesting at all)...

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    After paying around during the pandemic with a couple of start ups which did nothing more than pay bills (not a bad thing) I am back on the bench today and looking for a contract. Still got a plan B going but its run out of money so back to contracting we go.

Excited to be back lol

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    "There's a role with a really great client at the moment with a great agency, are you interested?"

"I don't know, who's it with?"

"I can't tell you until you sign the forms, I can usually tell if people are interested a not and with you... well, are you interested?"

"Still can't tell you, sorry"

Why do people act so secretively about contract roles that even I don't give a tulip about when applying for them? Who do they think I'm going to tell?

Agents: there's no point asking me about the minutiae of my experience and what I was being paid if we can't have a grown up conversation about what you've got on offer. I'm not interested in what's inside the mystery box - just tell me.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    Mini Boom - finally started on site yesterday with a new client on a six month strategy gig after protracted contract negotiations. First time ever going direct rather than via an agency as I was approached directly by the CIO who I knew from elsewhere years ago. Managed to get my highest ever day rate too, so fingers crossed!
    "It's all going to go wrong, it always goes wrong" - [Marvin the Paranoid Android - 1980]

Grats though

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Mini Boom - finally started on site yesterday with a new client on a six month strategy gig after protracted contract negotiations. First time ever going direct rather than via an agency as I was approached directly by the CIO who I knew from elsewhere years ago. Managed to get my highest ever day rate too, so fingers crossed!
    BOOM indeed!

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Last edited by edison; 29 September 2022, 10:00.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I think you need to be aiming to ride out the next year, IMO

I've managed to dodge downturns and recessions in the past. I'm less confident this time around.

I said ride things out for six months only because my contract is that long. With continuing threats of a long recession, ongoing fallout from Brexit, Covid and global supply chain disruption, not to mention Ukraine, I might need to rephrase that to 2-3 years!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    With the current financial market turmoil and now widely expected rise in base rates to 6% next year, now seems a good time to make hay when the sun shines, relatively speaking.

An interesting analysis on Sky suggested a 6% interest rate would equate to 14% back in the late 80s, taking into account how households are much more indebted today with lower salaries relative to mortgages.

It seems that any sector which is heavily exposed to discretionary consumer spending and the housing market is going to take a significant hit. I've recently finished a gig in the hospitality industry and I fear for my client who has been planning a largescale expansion. Just about to start with a new client in the insurance sector so fingers crossed I can ride things out the next six months.
    I think you need to be aiming to ride out the next year, IMO

I've managed to dodge downturns and recessions in the past. I'm less confident this time around.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    With the current financial market turmoil and now widely expected rise in base rates to 6% next year, now seems a good time to make hay when the sun shines, relatively speaking.

An interesting analysis on Sky suggested a 6% interest rate would equate to 14% back in the late 80s, taking into account how households are much more indebted today with lower salaries relative to mortgages.

It seems that any sector which is heavily exposed to discretionary consumer spending and the housing market is going to take a significant hit. I've recently finished a gig in the hospitality industry and I fear for my client who has been planning a largescale expansion. Just about to start with a new client in the insurance sector so fingers crossed I can ride things out the next six months.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Lots of agents asking about availability or do I know anyone available...
    Been happening to me since beginning of year. Still with same client. Other contractors have gone back to old clients if there is a gap in projects.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 22 September 2022, 14:43.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X