• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where does the agencies control end?"

Collapse

• oilyrag
    replied
    As previously stated this agent doesn't know his place. Bark at him to wind his neck in and get back in his box and for that indiscretion you will be reducing his percentage on the extension and any further indiscretions will result in further reductions.

He will then take you for dinner to smooth it all out, and it will be the most expensive dinner you have ever ordered

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Actual LOL.
    And yet she's correct. What client wants an agent meddling in their day to day ops?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    ...the issue is the agent doesn't know their place.
    Actual LOL.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Nobody said the agent would do that "on a whim". Several posters have suggested to the OP that agents can be ignored, argued with, even treated with contempt. This isn't really the case, and I would advise treating the agent like a respected business partner. And the client too obviously.

In the OPs case there appears to be an alarming rift between agent and client, and the agent is rather mad. Without knowing more it is hard to advise, I would just say keep both agent and client happy until matters resolve themselves.
    There is no alarming rift between the agent and the client - the issue is the agent doesn't know their place.

If the contractor is sick and the client is happy to work with it, then the agent needs to as the client is the one paying both parties.

To be honest I would get things in writing (email from the client) and forward it to the stupid agent.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Are you mental...what agent in his right mind would ditch a £500 a day contractor with 3 months, of a 6 month contract to run, on a whim?
    Nobody said the agent would do that "on a whim". Several posters have suggested to the OP that agents can be ignored, argued with, even treated with contempt. This isn't really the case, and I would advise treating the agent like a respected business partner. And the client too obviously.

In the OPs case there appears to be an alarming rift between agent and client, and the agent is rather mad. Without knowing more it is hard to advise, I would just say keep both agent and client happy until matters resolve themselves.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Just to chime in (very Enid Blyton, trying to simmer the thread )....I have never told an agent of time planned off, although always advised the Client with good notice. Seems to me that courtesy to the Client is the primary point, in terms of everyday relationship etc., and I have never once had an agent whine or similar.

For me, as others have said, agent contact has been notable in its absence throughout pretty much each and every contract I have worked. Sure, around renewal time they might be in touch and at current Client they actually hold 'open door' sessions on various sites more or less monthly, for anyone who wants to go and shoot the breeze.....I liaise with them around renewal time, and have always had a good but occasional relationship once on site with given Client.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Eh? U wot Mate?
    Maybe speaking from experience, during his "darker" days .

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Lol. Delicious.

Think the agent is an unimportant nobody ? Try this experiment:

Small digression:
    1. Deliver a small task later than it was asked for.
    2. Notice how the end client, probably a manager, takes you to one side and patiently speaks to you about this.

Big digression:
    1. Drink 7 pints then scream at your boss in an open office, saying **** and **** his ****ing and ****
    2. Notice how your agent visits site the same day, takes you into a private room, and serves notice.
    3. Notice 40 minutes later how it is slowly sinking in you have burned your boats with the UKs biggest agency.
    4. Surprise! Three weeks later they are keen to put you forward to another client.

See how it works yet?
    Eh? U wot Mate?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    1. Drink 7 pints then scream at your boss in an open office, saying **** and **** his ****ing and ****
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    One small point, I can be completely sober and still behave like this .

I write it into my contracts.
    It's part of the Agency Workers Language Filter Regulations (2016).

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Lol. Be as gung-ho as you like. It doesn't alter the fact that the agent is the one writing your cheques, and can bin you at a moments notice according to the contract that you both have signed. This is a fact which can become obscured in the day-to-day rush and I don't want the OP to me made suddenly aware of it in some jarring, unpleasant way.

It is also true that in case the agent seems to be in the wrong and exercising very poor judgement. A careful phone call or two from the OP will likely soothe matters. Agent and client need to align themselves.
    Are you mental...what agent in his right mind would ditch a £500 a day contractor with 3 months, of a 6 month contract to run, on a whim?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Drink 7 pints then scream at your boss in an open office, saying **** and **** his ****ing and ****
    One small point, I can be completely sober and still behave like this .

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You missed Nonsense out between Utter and Twaddle
    Lol. Delicious.

Think the agent is an unimportant nobody ? Try this experiment:

Small digression:
    1. Deliver a small task later than it was asked for.
    2. Notice how the end client, probably a manager, takes you to one side and patiently speaks to you about this.

Big digression:
    2. Notice how your agent visits site the same day, takes you into a private room, and serves notice.
    3. Notice 40 minutes later how it is slowly sinking in you have burned your boats with the UKs biggest agency.
    4. Surprise! Three weeks later they are keen to put you forward to another client.

See how it works yet?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Complete

Utter

Twaddle.

Did you just receive a blow to the head? Any agent who canned a contractor the client was happy with would end up rapidly without a client.
    You missed Nonsense out between Utter and Twaddle

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Complete

Utter

Twaddle.

Did you just receive a blow to the head? Any agent who canned a contractor the client was happy with would end up rapidly without a client.
    Nobody said anything different. What part of my post do you disagree with? Did you even read it ? FFS.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    However, your contract is with the agency, and you are therefore ultimately answerable to them. Make no mistake in this. So, yes, you must listen to the agent and keep them happy if you want to continue in your role. The agency has the right to serve notice in your contract, should they be unhappy or the need arise. Even the end client does not have this power (not directly). So the agent is your real customer and the nearest thing you have to a boss...
    Complete

Utter

Twaddle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X