• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where does the agencies control end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does the agencies control end?

TL;DR: If the client is happy for me to work from home, can my pimp stop me from doing so? I will check my contract, but I don't see why the pimp should care where I work from as long as client is happy. :\

Basically, I was off on holiday for two weeks for my wedding, and just got back on Sunday night. The recruitment agency was aware of my time off, and were fine with it, as were the client.

I ended up getting infected with man flu in the second week of my holiday, the day after the wedding and had to endure an extremely painful flight (my ears popped during landing, can't hear anything at the moment) and I'm currently at "Terminal Man Flu" on the snotometer.

Ended up calling in sick on Monday, and on Tuesday and today, I spoke to my manager to work from home, which he was completely fine with.

Today I got a call from the recruitment agency, just to check-up if I had returned etc and if everything was OK. I told him that I was off on Monday as I was ill, and working from home yesterday and today. He went full pimp mode, and was complaining that the client needs me to be on site because people will need me etc etc, and wouldn't accept that the client was cool with me working from home. In fact, almost everyone I work with except my manager ARE off site. They are in another building in a different city, so regardless if I work on-site or off-site, it's going to all be the same communication methods, but naturally pimp wouldn't accept that.

He mentioned that I need to be on site tomorrow, which I was going to try anyway, even though I feel like it's pretty inconsiderate to risk infecting the whole office with my man flu, and said that if I cannot make it to the office tomorrow, I need to let him know, so he can keep the client in the loop... I find that quite absurd, as to be quite honest, my manager is the one who IS in the loop. I work with him, I talk to him and let him know when there are any issues, and not the agency. He is aware of the situations of things more than the agency, so does the agency really have any power over me to say that I need to be in the office if the client is fine with me working from home?

I actually wanted to talk to my manager and request working from home every Friday as the office is quite far from home and I'd like to beat the traffic. I'm 99% sure he'd be fine with this, but now I feel like the agency might cause a problem for me. I guess I need to check what the contract says, but I don't see why the agency should care if the client is happy.

From previous experience from other contracts, the pimp has always been happy as long as the client is happy. After the initial recruitment, they just deal with the time sheets and invoicing, that's all really. Quite frustrating that this guy is trying to do more.

Ignore him.

Comment

Because upto 10 contractors have recently been walked off site for taking the michael over daily attendance, the client has forced the agency to 'audit' contractors daily attendance.

It might be the same situation between your agent and client so they are taking a tough line on it.

Frankly, Id ignore the agent if the client is ok with the arrangement. My current client is similalry ok with agreed practices which the agent is known to not like. But tough!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Ask your client to say that you're onsite if asked.
        Tell the agent that you're onsite.
        Then work from home.

Comment

Tell the agency that you have agreed working practices with the end client and that the agent should not be jeopardising that relationship.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If the client is OK with it, thats all that matters..
            Usually after a log break, I would try my utmost to get into the office for practical purposes, catch up etc.

However, your situation seems slightly different, with regards to the below.
            In fact, almost everyone I work with except my manager ARE off site. They are in another building in a different city, so regardless if I work on-site or off-site, it's going to all be the same communication methods
            Sounds like the agent is just being a total bell end.
            Last edited by administrator; 26 August 2015, 14:23. Reason: We'll have no winking here!
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

With the exception of payment, as far as I'm concerned the agent doesn't exist once I'm on-site and have a relationship with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                With the exception of payment, as far as I'm concerned the agent doesn't exist once I'm on-site and have a relationship with the client.
                +1....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

OP - care to name and shame the agency in question to see if others have encountered this with the same?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I have never told an agent I was sick or on holiday!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X