• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "tax enquiry insurance"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Keanu2020 View Post

Good God, who thinks these things up.
    IPSE

Leave a comment:

• Keanu2020
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

oh the FLC hasn’t been forgotten - I’m
    expecting it to appear in the next Labour Government as a fix for self employment - basically it will make you PAYE but allow some money to be kept untaxed for use during periods where you aren’t working.
    Good God, who thinks these things up.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    All I'd say here is don't buy it from your accountant. Whenever I've heard any accountants talk about offering this to their clients, they chuckle about the fact they add a huge markup on the premium itself, then if ever HMRC query anything, the accountant can get paid £££ from the insurer for dealing with it.

Fear sells, and it's an easy way your accountant can cream extra cash from you without you realising.

If you're going to get insurance like this, make sure it benefits you, not your accountant.
    Apart from anything else, this is one way to guarantee an MSCP/MSC relationship under ITEPA Ch. 9, so if you know of any accountants doing that, I despair.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    All I'd say here is don't buy it from your accountant. Whenever I've heard any accountants talk about offering this to their clients, they chuckle about the fact they add a huge markup on the premium itself, then if ever HMRC query anything, the accountant can get paid £££ from the insurer for dealing with it.

Fear sells, and it's an easy way your accountant can cream extra cash from you without you realising.

If you're going to get insurance like this, make sure it benefits you, not your accountant.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

expecting it to appear in the next Labour Government as a fix for self employment - basically it will make you PAYE but allow some money to be kept untaxed for use during periods where you aren’t working.
    I mean, it was the thought baby of Labour activist and IPSE founding member, Philip Ross. But, if they do, it'll be an even fuglier version of IPSE's original proposal. As I said at the time, it was a moronic idea, akin to pinning a "kick me" on your back.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
    The representation at parliamentary committees is always strong

I agree that Andy Chamberlain is always very good in PCs.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I suspect FLC has quietly been forgotten.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Did you accidently transpose the words criticism and organisation?

IPSE always oversold their lobbying "successes", so it's fair game to criticise their consistent lobbying failures (that is, the failure to even identify the correct things to lobby over and a plausible strategy to address them). But the real failure was buying into political lobbying as a workable strategy

Again, they're in a perilous spot now - look at their recent financials - and it isn't purely related to the pandemic and IR35, rather a failure to be relevant to the core membership paying those Plus membership fees.
    I'm not supporting them, and resigned my membership some time ago. The fact remains that regardless of the politics, their protection is about the best out there for the money.

The finances are terrible now but that is as much from Chapter 10 changes and the impact that has had as anything.

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

In the present environment, worth knowing what their cover is for MSC legislation related enquiries?
    IPSE - https://www.ipse.co.uk/member-benefi...anies-faq.html

Again, they're in a perilous spot now - look at their recent financials - and it isn't purely related to the pandemic and IR35, rather a failure to be relevant to the core membership paying those Plus membership fees.
    Which is a shame, I think. The representation at parliamentary committees is always strong and they’re probably the most persistent lobbyist for those impacted by off-payroll.
    Last edited by Protagoras; 1 April 2023, 20:15.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Nevertheless, a pointless criticism of a what was a different organisation with different aims.
    Did you accidently transpose the words criticism and organisation?

IPSE always oversold their lobbying "successes", so it's fair game to criticise their consistent lobbying failures (that is, the failure to even identify the correct things to lobby over and a plausible strategy to address them). But the real failure was buying into political lobbying as a workable strategy

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

It's worth an incredulous chuckle every now and then.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

In the present environment, worth knowing what their cover is for MSC legislation related enquiries?
    No idea, but IPSE cover is for any tax-related investigation, not just IR35.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

I would suspect it was never going to fly in the form that most people (wrongly) assumed it was going to take. But that was years ago in a totally different climate. It's no going to happen now.

Nevertheless, a pointless criticism of a what was a different organisation with different aims.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

There seems to be a difference in the tax enquiry insurance offerings with regard to personal tax enquiry cover ..

IPSE - "Both Standard and Plus memberships protect you and your business from any HMRC tax investigation. This includes Income Tax enquiries, VAT disputes, and of course IR35 investigations." https://www.ipse.co.uk/ipse-news/ips...embership.html

FSB - "If the enquiry starts by looking into your business accounts and then HMRC decide to look at your personal finances, our tax investigations service will cover that."
    https://www.fsb.org.uk/join-us/membe...rotection.html

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

The limitations of lobbying is one thing, their insane policy positions, such as the FLC, another

I wouldn't be surprised if IPSE weren't too much longer of this world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X