• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Interest rates

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interest rates"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

The question is how can Truss bin Kwasi without also going herself...
    She can't. Impossible. ( And apologies for the off-topic posts. )

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

Hence why they're not available on the high street.
    There are risks.

And the market fears the UK's ability to repay them. That's why they're offering such a high yield right now.
    Although the BoE now buying them back is an interesting development.
    Kwasi is toast I hear.
    Did you hear that from Rachel Reeves?

There's literally no chance that Kwasi is toast in the near-term because he's perfectly aligned with Truss, and there's literally no chance that the Tories will ditch Truss in the near term. I mean, the Tories may be fooked, but changing the party rules to allow a confidence vote within the first 12 months of a new leader and then to have one and install another leader would make the broader Tory party explode in a fireball that would be visible from space.

When Tory MPs say "I'm writing a letter" or brief nonsense like the above, you need to read them as "I am very, very angry". Which they are, but hey ho, that's it.

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    There are also ETFs that package up gilts - From memory IGLT is the ishares UK sterling denominated ticker

I needed instant access so cant trade ETFs - Risk of course is rates go up a lot more and then the IGLT will move down

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

There are risks.

And the market fears the UK's ability to repay them. That's why they're offering such a high yield right now.
    Kwasi is toast I hear.
    The question is how can Truss bin Kwasi without also going herself...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Just bear in mind that the rate on a bond moves inversely to the price. In other words, you can get back (a lot) less money than you paid, rate aside. It isn't a risk-free alternative to a savings account . I expect most people know this, but some might not.
    There are risks.

Kwasi is toast I hear.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Just bear in mind that the rate on a bond moves inversely to the price. In other words, you can get back (a lot) less money than you paid, rate aside. It isn't a risk-free alternative to a savings account . I expect most people know this, but some might not.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

What's an easy way to buy them?
    Buying & Selling (dmo.gov.uk)

Interactive Investor offer them as well.
    Last edited by Lance; 28 September 2022, 14:05.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied

2 year government gilts were going for 4.8% yesterday.
    30 year at 5%
    What's an easy way to buy them?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Thank you - I went with a Marcus 1.8% instant savings account - Better than halifax current account
    2 year government gilts were going for 4.8% yesterday.
    30 year at 5%

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    Thank you - I went with a Marcus 1.8% instant savings account - Better than halifax current account

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

Which lender is this with and are there penalties for with-drawl ?
    Family Building Society. No withdrawals permitted during the 2 years.

https://www.familybuildingsociety.co...-rate-bond-(11)

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    If you have a bit of cash in bank and want some interest, 2 year govt bonds give you 4.7% interest right now. You have to hold it for 2 years to guarantee that yield (but if you want it back earlier you may lose or make money, that depends on the market price at the time).

That also gives some indication of where base rates and mortgage rates are headed.

This isn't good for anyone here in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    with-drawl ?
    Say what, now?

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    In the end, I went for a 2-year tracker, bank base + 0.85% (paying 3.1% from 1st Oct).

Should work out ok this year and next. Perhaps not so well in 2024 but we'll see.
    Which lender is this with and are there penalties for with-drawl ?

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    In the end, I went for a 2-year tracker, bank base + 0.85% (paying 3.1% from 1st Oct).

Should work out ok this year and next. Perhaps not so well in 2024 but we'll see.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X