• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

Which lender is this with and are there penalties for with-drawl ?
    Family Building Society. No withdrawals permitted during the 2 years.

https://www.familybuildingsociety.co...-rate-bond-(11)
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Thank you - I went with a Marcus 1.8% instant savings account - Better than halifax current account

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        Thank you - I went with a Marcus 1.8% instant savings account - Better than halifax current account
        2 year government gilts were going for 4.8% yesterday.
        30 year at 5%

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

2 year government gilts were going for 4.8% yesterday.
          30 year at 5%
          What's an easy way to buy them?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

What's an easy way to buy them?
            Buying & Selling (dmo.gov.uk)

Interactive Investor offer them as well.
            Last edited by Lance; 28 September 2022, 14:05.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Just bear in mind that the rate on a bond moves inversely to the price. In other words, you can get back (a lot) less money than you paid, rate aside. It isn't a risk-free alternative to a savings account . I expect most people know this, but some might not.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Just bear in mind that the rate on a bond moves inversely to the price. In other words, you can get back (a lot) less money than you paid, rate aside. It isn't a risk-free alternative to a savings account . I expect most people know this, but some might not.
                Hence why they're not available on the high street.
                There are risks.

And the market fears the UK's ability to repay them. That's why they're offering such a high yield right now.
                Although the BoE now buying them back is an interesting development.
                Kwasi is toast I hear.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

There are risks.

And the market fears the UK's ability to repay them. That's why they're offering such a high yield right now.
                  Kwasi is toast I hear.
                  The question is how can Truss bin Kwasi without also going herself...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There are also ETFs that package up gilts - From memory IGLT is the ishares UK sterling denominated ticker

I needed instant access so cant trade ETFs - Risk of course is rates go up a lot more and then the IGLT will move down

Comment

There are risks.

Kwasi is toast I hear.
                      Did you hear that from Rachel Reeves?

There's literally no chance that Kwasi is toast in the near-term because he's perfectly aligned with Truss, and there's literally no chance that the Tories will ditch Truss in the near term. I mean, the Tories may be fooked, but changing the party rules to allow a confidence vote within the first 12 months of a new leader and then to have one and install another leader would make the broader Tory party explode in a fireball that would be visible from space.

When Tory MPs say "I'm writing a letter" or brief nonsense like the above, you need to read them as "I am very, very angry". Which they are, but hey ho, that's it.

Comment

Working...
                      X