• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ember SaaS Accounting..."

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    So in summary: No, no one here appears to have used them.

And no, no one here would be tempted to touch them with a barge pole.

Probably.

Thread closed.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by hgllgh View Post

What you're saying there doesn't really make any sense... and what I said before is still true, you made an assumption about "everyone's" communication experiences with accountants when in reality, you don't know. I was merely pointing that out to you.
    It doesn't make any sense to you because you're struggling to understand the concept of a question and answer. I asked you whether you were a shill for Ember. You seemed to respond "no", but it's hard to tell because you're taking it very personally. Also, assumptions don't begin with the word "probably". HTH.

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

A helpful tip is that a question mark typically signals a question. But perhaps your "without asking them!" is a bit like your "having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!". In other words, nonsense. HTH.
    What you're saying there doesn't really make any sense... and what I said before is still true, you made an assumption about "everyone's" communication experiences with accountants when in reality, you don't know. I was merely pointing that out to you.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

No I'm not involved with Ember at all. I can see why you're double Godlike... you know about "everyone's" experiences without asking them! (Or maybe you just make assumptions/projections about these things and assume you know the truth.)
    A helpful tip is that a question mark typically signals a question. But perhaps your "without asking them!" is a bit like your "having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!". In other words, nonsense. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

No I'm not involved with Ember at all. I can see why you're double Godlike... you know about "everyone's" experiences without asking them! (Or maybe you just make assumptions/projections about these things and assume you know the truth.)
    Veiled insults cut no ice here. On balance, I won't report this post to the moderators, though I am sorely tempted.

You obviously don't realise it, but getting the answers you did. That are not in line with what you wanted. CUK members have done you a massive favour.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    So nobody on this forum has actually used Ember then?
    It appears the answer is probably "no". And for the very, very good reasons stated here. FreeAgent was always been and remains ahead of the curve. Maybe something will dislodge it one day. Who knows? At the moment, if I needed a contractor accountant, FA support would be the number one non-negotiable prerequisite.

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Probably not. Probably because everyone on this forum that uses FA is happy with it and has never experienced "having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!". Are you involved with Ember or something? It looks like a very recent start-up to me - probably too early to tell.

https://www.uktech.news/news/ember-u...-smes-20210222

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Just doing a bit of digging on Ember - firstly their website doesn't come up on search engines easily.
    Then we look at who runs the company...
    Ruth Blader - an American living in France who was either born in July 1977 or July 1978, depending on which records in CoHo to believe. Her address is a company called Anthemis, and once you start looking at their company structure you'll end up in a rabbit warren.

But it's also worth noting that in the 2 years Ember have been running, they're on to their 4th address.

I think I'll stick with FreeAgent
    Excellent advice!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Just doing a bit of digging on Ember - firstly their website doesn't come up on search engines easily.
    Then we look at who runs the company...
    Ruth Blader - an American living in France who was either born in July 1977 or July 1978, depending on which records in CoHo to believe. Her address is a company called Anthemis, and once you start looking at their company structure you'll end up in a rabbit warren.

But it's also worth noting that in the 2 years Ember have been running, they're on to their 4th address.

I think I'll stick with FreeAgent

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    if the service is sh1t you can't just take the software to another accountant
    Bingo.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Probably not. Probably because everyone on this forum that uses FA is happy with it and has never experienced "having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!". Are you involved with Ember or something? It looks like a very recent start-up to me - probably too early to tell.

https://www.uktech.news/news/ember-u...-smes-20210222

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
    Just a SaaS package with support. They say they have accountants but I bet you'll have to go through 1st line support to get to talk to one.

And the worst part is, if the service is sh1t you can't just take the software to another accountant. You're stuck with theirs.

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yeh... and that is one of the advantages of FA ... accountants know it and you can switch accountants using FA if you want to. (Although in practice probably not done that often).

But what I like about Ember is that they have a messaging system on the platform which FA doesn't. And they are pretty prompt to reply. I used FA + accountants for my last contract and it was the usual story of having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!
    Messaging systems can be just another way for the accountant to shield themselves from their customers. They aren't always a good thing. Can't think it would have really added any extra value to my situation in the last few years. I certainly don't have endless email chains so not sure what is going on there. You can always pick up the phone and speak to them to stop the chains.

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    Yeh... and that is one of the advantages of FA ... accountants know it and you can switch accountants using FA if you want to. (Although in practice probably not done that often).

But what I like about Ember is that they have a messaging system on the platform which FA doesn't. And they are pretty prompt to reply. I used FA + accountants for my last contract and it was the usual story of having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X