• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ember SaaS Accounting...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ember SaaS Accounting...

Ember accounting get rave reviews on trustpilot but there are no posts on this forum about them. Has anyone used them?

What are the Cons (or downsides)? I was with Crunch a few years ago and didn't like it at all. Had to spend time learning their system and then there was always snags/rules that made it difficult to do basic accounting. According to the reviews Ember have simplified things, but is that the case? I guess at the very least, just as with Crunch, I would have to go through the learning curve on their platform.

Is there a compelling reason to stick with the standard (and more expensive) 'done for you' type Ltd Co accountants? (for a one man band Ltd Co)...

Most people round here use Freeagent - because it just works and because their accountant (heck, most contractor accountants) use it
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yeh... and that is one of the advantages of FA ... accountants know it and you can switch accountants using FA if you want to. (Although in practice probably not done that often).

But what I like about Ember is that they have a messaging system on the platform which FA doesn't. And they are pretty prompt to reply. I used FA + accountants for my last contract and it was the usual story of having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
        Yeh... and that is one of the advantages of FA ... accountants know it and you can switch accountants using FA if you want to. (Although in practice probably not done that often).

But what I like about Ember is that they have a messaging system on the platform which FA doesn't. And they are pretty prompt to reply. I used FA + accountants for my last contract and it was the usual story of having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!
        Messaging systems can be just another way for the accountant to shield themselves from their customers. They aren't always a good thing. Can't think it would have really added any extra value to my situation in the last few years. I certainly don't have endless email chains so not sure what is going on there. You can always pick up the phone and speak to them to stop the chains.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So nobody on this forum has actually used Ember then?

Comment

I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
            Just a SaaS package with support. They say they have accountants but I bet you'll have to go through 1st line support to get to talk to one.

And the worst part is, if the service is sh1t you can't just take the software to another accountant. You're stuck with theirs.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Probably not. Probably because everyone on this forum that uses FA is happy with it and has never experienced "having to keep track of endless email chains... awful!". Are you involved with Ember or something? It looks like a very recent start-up to me - probably too early to tell.

https://www.uktech.news/news/ember-u...-smes-20210222

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                if the service is sh1t you can't just take the software to another accountant
                Bingo.

Comment

Just doing a bit of digging on Ember - firstly their website doesn't come up on search engines easily.
                  Then we look at who runs the company...
                  Ruth Blader - an American living in France who was either born in July 1977 or July 1978, depending on which records in CoHo to believe. Her address is a company called Anthemis, and once you start looking at their company structure you'll end up in a rabbit warren.

But it's also worth noting that in the 2 years Ember have been running, they're on to their 4th address.

I think I'll stick with FreeAgent
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Just doing a bit of digging on Ember - firstly their website doesn't come up on search engines easily.
                    Then we look at who runs the company...
                    Ruth Blader - an American living in France who was either born in July 1977 or July 1978, depending on which records in CoHo to believe. Her address is a company called Anthemis, and once you start looking at their company structure you'll end up in a rabbit warren.

But it's also worth noting that in the 2 years Ember have been running, they're on to their 4th address.

I think I'll stick with FreeAgent
                    Excellent advice!
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X